Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm having a palm pre , Does anyone know Official information that Palm Pre can update to WebOS 2.0 or we have to buy Palm Pre 2 ?

Thanks,
    Dear maroi,

Yes, Jon Rubenstein (the CEO of Palm) just confirmed yesterday during an interview at the Web 2.0 Summit that Web OS 2.0 will launch on ALL devices (Palm Pre/Pixi included) in the coming months, as long as your cell phone provider gives out the update.
    I'm not so sure, I went into a Sprint store and the trusted representative said they are discontinuing updates.

Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I'm not so sure, I went into a Sprint store and the trusted representative said they are discontinuing updates.

Obviously, that rep have no idea of what they're talking about. Maybe.. they were talking about the palm pres.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Obviously, that rep have no idea of what they're talking about.

Why? It doesn't contradict what Jon Rubinstein actually said, that updates will be available if the carrier wants to provide them. Sprint might not bother considering the phone is EOL.
    well then thank god for web-distubuted webDoctors then isn't it???

If the carriers do NOT provide updates, then,with monitary support, I'm sure our good friends @ webOS Internals will cook something up for us.
    Currently WebOS 2.0 and the 2.0 doctors do not have the drivers for 1.x devices so till Palm releases the drivers in the 2.0 doctors it will be very unlikely to see such within a reasonable timeframe.

In the US, the carriers make the calls on phone distribution AND ROM updates so its going to be up to them when we get the 2.0 update. If any delays comes out for the updates it will NOT be HPalm but the carriers to blame for having their own plans. For example, Verizon wont authorize the update at least they get some $$$ from the Pre2. For Sprint's plans, who knows since traditionally the rule is once the device is EOLed for them, they stop further advancements with the product.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    well then thank god for web-distubuted webDoctors then isn't it???

If the carriers do NOT provide updates, then,with monitary support, I'm sure our good friends @ webOS Internals will cook something up for us.
    There is such support already. It's called a Meta-Doctor with the BYPASS_CARRIER_CHECK flag.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Obviously, that rep have no idea of what they're talking about. Maybe.. they were talking about the palm pres.
    I was joking, it's been repeated so many times including just yesterday when Ruby said it will be coming out in a couple months. Not sure why people aren't doing a two second search before asking questions like this.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for everyone, I'm using O2 Pre . I'm using FirmWare 1.4.5 + UberKernel .

What should I do for upgrade to WebOS2.0 ? Or should I have to contact my Carrier for Update ?

Thanks,
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maroi View Post
    Thanks for everyone, I'm using O2 Pre . I'm using FirmWare 1.4.5 + UberKernel .

What should I do for upgrade to WebOS2.0 ? Or should I have to contact my Carrier for Update ?

Thanks,
    You wait. That's all you can do for now. Be patient please.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Once the carriers start selling the Pre 2 there will be discounts on the left over original Pre inventory sold at a discount. I do not see HP supporting a new OS for a discontinued product.
    My Palm Pre Gets Its Wallpaper From SmartPhone Wallpaper
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    If people really think that webos 2.0 will come to the original pre then don't hold your breath. I don't see why any provider would continue supporting a phone that so many people are probably dumping right now. The pre is old and it would be a waste of resources to update it.
    I choose to keep my fingers crossed.

also, purple monkey dishwasher..
    Quote Originally Posted by Rombo View Post
    Once the carriers start selling the Pre 2 there will be discounts on the left over original Pre inventory sold at a discount.
    You mean you can go lower than free plus a gift card?
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    FreeOneGetOne free with two gift cards
    That's what Bell is doing. $15 off per month for duration of contract.

But I wouldn't call it a discount, I call it bringing our outrageous prices down to normal.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

17. JKM
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    ...In the US, the carriers make the calls on phone distribution AND ROM updates so its going to be up to them when we get the 2.0 update. ...
    Is this really true? Isn't the software the same on all Pres? And isn't the update downloaded from Palm's servers?
    What is the role of the carrier then? Why should they have to be involved?
    Quote Originally Posted by JKM View Post
    Is this really true? Isn't the software the same on all Pres? And isn't the update downloaded from Palm's servers?
    What is the role of the carrier then? Why should they have to be involved?
    Carriers have customizations in the different versions. e.g. Sprint needs to shove the Nascar apps up yours, and Verizon has to cripple the GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    That's what Bell is doing. $15 off per month for duration of contract.

But I wouldn't call it a discount, I call it bringing our outrageous prices down to normal.
    That's a hell of a deal. It actually brings it in line with some of the better Rogers retention deals I've seen.

Are you limited to using their CDMA network with that $15 credit?
    That's a hell of a deal. It actually brings it in line with some of the better Rogers retention deals I've seen.

Are you limited to using their CDMA network with that $15 credit?
    Nope, plenty of reports of getting the deal, then selling off the Pre for a SIM card. All you need to do is buy the card.

I myself have the $10 variant of the deal, which came before they upped it to $15. I'm going to try to switch to a SIM when the Pre 2's price is right, or if something interesting comes up at CES.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast