Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    My comment doesn't jibe with a comment I have never made? Curious.
    Let's not be coy. "CES" appears incessantly in discussions on this site, so certainly there is an expectation of something revelatory awaiting us (and the market) there.

You yourself just said "Who's to say that their Windows Phone 7 like stategy won't be unveiled at CES?". LOTS of hopes are riding on whatever they have there.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Let's not be coy. "CES" appears incessantly in discussions on this site, so certainly there is an expectation of something revelatory awaiting us (and the market) there.

You yourself just said "Who's to say that their Windows Phone 7 like stategy won't be unveiled at CES?". LOTS of hopes are riding on whatever they have there.
    CES appears a lot on this site because it's the next big opportunity to release something or at least throw a collective bone to everyone waiting for something great. I have never expected man on the moon type stuff at CES.

I am merely trying to be optimistic, but not to the point of allowing my life to revolve around whether or not Palm produces magic in January.

Lets just say this, I expect HP/Palm to give us something at CES. It might be a toaster and it might be a new George Foreman grill, but I am not setting my sites at dropping 18 phones.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    CES appears a lot on this site because it's the next big opportunity to release something or at least throw a collective bone to everyone waiting for something great. I have never expected man on the moon type stuff at CES.

I am merely trying to be optimistic, but not to the point of allowing my life to revolve around whether or not Palm produces magic in January.

Lets just say this, I expect HP/Palm to give us something at CES. It might be a toaster and it might be a new George Foreman grill, but I am not setting my sites at dropping 18 phones.
    I think you're in the minority. So many people have stated "CES or bust" ultimatums here. I don't particularly see the point, either. There are too many good choices now on every carrier to wait and waste time in contract to a device that's not totally doing it for you. If you want modern hardware, get it elsewhere and IF HP Palm should wake up and get it together, let them win you back. They should have to earn it.
    yes, but carrier contracts or upgrade (looks like the longer you wait, the more your upgrade is worth) keep us poor people from moving on right away to another device, unless our current device is absolutely horendous, which it's not. So +1 to plam for not sucking too much
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The point is that what Rubinstein said today means absolutely nothing. They always say that they are confident about this and that and what they have is really great.

I think it's interesting that HP seems to send out its executives whenever they have nothing to say. Think of all the interviews we've seen with Rahul, Ben & Dion, McKinney, etc. this year. To bring us what? WebOS 2.0 in coming months? 2010 has brought us practically nada from Palm.

Remember this pic? I guess he was holding an HP Slate and a Pre 2.
    Using CSI type technology, we can work out what he was holding in the first picture:

[QUOTE=CGK;2762006]Using CSI type technology, we can work out what he was holding in the first picture:

[IMG]

lmao!
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Using CSI type technology, we can work out what he was holding in the first picture:

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I laughed so hard when i saw this!!! XD
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    throw us a bone and not boning us
    be as negative as you want, but unless JR is planning on also leaving palm, why would he say more devices are coming if they aren't? Don't you think lying would kill palm?
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Haha. I see what you did there.
    Honestly though, something has to be coming out. It's ludicrous if they don't, well maybe not ludicrous. If they don't then all of the departures make sense, suggesting that HP wanted intellectual property more than innovation.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    Haha. I see what you did there.
    Honestly though, something has to be coming out. It's ludicrous if they don't, well maybe not ludicrous. If they don't then all of the departures make sense, suggesting that HP wanted intellectual property more than innovation.
    I don't see those being devorced. It does seem like what's happening, but doesn't innovation=intelectual property?
  12. AZ8
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Almost exactly one year ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/16/te...es/16palm.html

“One of the key things we need to do as a company is to get to scale,” he said. “We need to bring on more carriers and more regions.”

Mr. Rubinstein says he expects developers will write for Palm devices, in part because Palm’s operating system, called webOS, is based largely on the same languages used to design Web sites. Android, by contrast, is based on Sun’s Java language, and Apple uses a variation of the C computer programming language.

He discounts Android’s chances because, he says, it does not yet have mass appeal. “Android, and the Droid in particular, are designed for the techie audience,” Mr. Rubinstein said. “We are doing a more general product that helps people live their lives seamlessly.”

“We think the Pixi is in the sweet spot of the market now,” he said. “It was designed for people who are transitioning from feature phones and getting their first smartphone.”

Palm is trying to copy the success it had with the Palm Centro, a small, inexpensive smartphone that sold three million units.

Analysts think he is right.

“The Palm Pixi is the only low-end smartphone with a new operating system,” said Mr. Kuittinen. “That is fairly impressive.”

He estimates Palm may be able to sell 10 million handsets next year, about 5 percent of the smartphone market. That assumes the company can get more carriers in the United States and Europe to sell Palm phones.

Mr. Rubinstein said Palm is positioned to grow now that it has completed a revamping after an investment from Elevation Partners, a private equity firm.

“We did what we said we were going to do,” Mr. Rubinstein said. “We have done a really good job of laying a foundation for the company moving forward. Now we need to move quickly.”
    Wow! HUGE Fail. He seems disconnected to the real world and a bit naive when it comes to the fast paced smartphone industry.
    +1

wheres my thanks button for the mobile forums?
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    I don't see those being devorced. It does seem like what's happening, but doesn't innovation=intelectual property?
    I dunno?... I think I.P. is more of fire insurance than innovation but hopefully in this case you are right
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    I really don't understand why some people are so bothered by that interview. NOthing out of that as negativity, or any sign of no hope for the future. I also don't understand why people actually expected release information from that.

Seriously...
    just very disappointed with it and its bad service!

Dexter Seasons 1-4 DVD
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234