Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I think Rubinstein was very eager to talk about the pre 2 and webOS 2.0. He jumped at the chance when given it but again, this wasn't an interview about the Pre 2. There is only so much he can talk about. The fact that he didn't release any new info doesn't mean that there isn't any. It just means he's not ALLOWED to say anything about it. A lot of companies do this. I don't know why people act like its a new thing.
    Someone in the audience asked him directly about new hardware. That was the perfect opportunity for him to talk up the strengths of the Pre 2 if he was really that high on it. Instead we got his usual "stay tuned."

He's almost like one of those puppets that spit out a soundbite when you pull a string at this point. "Stay tuned," "keep the faith," and "Chinese New Year's" seem to cover everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Interview -a conversation between two or more people (the interviewer and the interviewee) where questions are asked by the interviewer to obtain information from the interviewee.

If there is no new information, is it really an interview?
    Where in that definition does it say that information must be "new"? The interview was short and basically gave a quick overview of HP Palm look at the future. They have a roadmap and are on track according to Ruby. The timing may not sit well with older Pre users, but nothing was (or wasn't) said that wasn't expected.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    I watched the web 2.0 live stream and nothing imo was enough to make people on the fence stay. He mentioned webos printers twice(which I think is hilarious), and a lot of we have devices for next year and we are working on some new stuff.

I know this event was not supposed to be a huge announcement type thing but some of the questions were about how big the webos user base was so developers could gauge on whether or not it was worth the resources for them to devote to webos and he was mum. Another was about a devices and again just general we have smart phones coming that will be a hit and a tablet and some other stuff.

One would think with so much buzz surrounding the other platforms, and news of new devices, JR could have thrown the community and the public a bone other than the general stuff that is plain common sense that new devices are coming.
    I used to just buy a phone and enjoy using it until another one caught my fascination.
    I never bothered about "the phone" that might or might not exist.
    By the way, the Palm Pre 2 has caught my fascination, now, if only it would work with T-Mobile 3G.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    The unfortunate thing is that he likely cannot say anything about new products. He was there to discuss WebOs 2.0. Hardware is not what the interviewer even wanted to talk about.
    I heard the features we know about listed, and that's it. The lady before him was boring but informative about mobile web at a web2.0 summit. Maybe they had jon because the os is called webos, but he didn't seem to contribute much to the topic of the sumit.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Where in that definition does it say that information must be "new"? The interview was short and basically gave a quick overview of HP Palm look at the future. They have a roadmap and are on track according to Ruby. The timing may not sit well with older Pre users, but nothing was (or wasn't) said that wasn't expected.
    It didn't say anywhere that it should be new, that's why I put a question mark at the end of my sentence. I'm wondering if people found this interview chuck full of information.

I personally didn't find it all that informative.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Someone in the audience asked him directly about new hardware. That was the perfect opportunity for him to talk up the strengths of the Pre 2 if he was really that high on it. Instead we got his usual "stay tuned."

He's almost like one of those puppets that spit out a soundbite when you pull a string at this point. "Stay tuned," "keep the faith," and "Chinese New Year's" seem to cover everything.
    I didnt see that part but read they asked him about dual core processors or something. Obviously that has nothing to do with the Pre 2. People were just trying to get stuff they don't already know out of him. He answered like anyone else would who is trying to keep things secret.
    I think Rubinstein was very eager to talk about the pre 2 and webOS 2.0. He jumped at the chance when given it but again, this wasn't an interview about the Pre 2. There is only so much he can talk about. The fact that he didn't release any new info doesn't mean that there isn't any. It just means he's not ALLOWED to say anything about it. A lot of companies do this. I don't know why people act like its a new thing.
    Ruby is a VP right? Who exactly is reigning him in? Leo the invisible CEO? I was under the impression that the Palm unit (HP mobility) is all his.

Him not talking is all Ruby not some HP policy.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    It didn't say anywhere that it should be new, that's why I put a question mark at the end of the sentence. I'm wondering if people found this interview chuck full of information.

I personally didn't find it all that informative.
    Nether did I, to me it was mostly regurgitated info from the past month.

Except for the mention of webos printers twice!!!
    I didnt see that part but read they asked him about dual core processors or something. Obviously that has nothing to do with the Pre 2. People were just trying to get stuff they don't already know out of him. He answered like anyone else would who is trying to keep things secret.
    Yes, but he could have used his response to steer HP's message in any direction he wanted. He could have used the opportunity to sell the strong points of the Pre 2 and do something to get rid of the idea of the Pre 2 being some lame duck effort. He chose to be vague and nebulous instead and I think that's pretty telling.
    He did mention the same refrain that there will be a release of several devices in the next 12 months. One being a "great" tablet.

If there's a slow down anywhere i suspect its trying to make a tablet work and incorporated into the webOS world.

He said 12 months and i suspect he means 12 months. Not CES.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Yes, but he could have used his response to steer HP's message in any direction he wanted. He could have used the opportunity to sell the strong points of the Pre 2 and do something to get rid of the idea of the Pre 2 being some lame duck effort. He chose to be vague and nebulous instead and I think that's pretty telling.
    True, He could have avoided that question and went on about something else. But I don't think thats what the people would have wanted. They would have been like "he didn't even answer my question." lol. At least he gave a direct answer to the question asked. Even though it wasn't what people wanted to hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    He said 12 months and i suspect he means 12 months. Not CES.
    That's key, I think.

Nobody in charge of a significant product launch would pass up on the opportunity to drop a more specific announcement date (say, CES) if they really did have a hail mary planned.
    I think the general expectation which feels like the accepted practice in tech conferences is that guests offer new information either in the form of upcoming future technology or a new perspective of looking at something. But I didn't see that in this interview.

I'm wondering if that's why Todd didn't show up...
    well it looks like the EVO or EPIC is going to have hold me over till next year.
    You might want to think of the HP/Palm stuff as a reboot. Obviously the first run through didn't go the way they wanted, so they are taking their time to do it right.

I see a lot of Windows Phone 7 in the strategy. I hope it works just as well and brings great WebOs hardware to the market.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post

I see a lot of Windows Phone 7 in the strategy.
    what do you mean by that?
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    what do you mean by that?
    Put it out when you are ready and delays be damned.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

19.    #39  
    ALL I really want is some kind release date information for the hardware we already know about...the Pre 2. Is it this week? Next week? 3 weeks? What do they stand to gain from being coy about its release date?
    true, that just means the product better be worth it by the time that happens. Hp with their "scale" has that capability.

however, if ph actually doesn't want to do much to penetrate smrtphone market share, they should license webos to other hardware developers
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast