Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    ummm don't other phones multitask jus in a way lamer form than webOS. And by all phones I mean iOS4 and android. So if you run tests like this shouldn't all phones completely kill an app. Cause if it's not that case than webOS wins everytime hands down because it only takes the time for the card to zoom in.
    Give it a try and see what you find.

Real World Speed Test:
    1. With no apps running, time how long it takes to open your Facebook app.
    2. Close Facebook and time how long it takes to re-open Facebook.
    3. Close Facebook and time how long it takes to open Google Maps.
    4. Close Google Maps and time how long it takes to reopen Google Maps.

At each step you close the previous app.

What results do you see? Here is what everyone else got: How fast is your phone?

If you want to scare yourself go to Best Buy and do the same test on an iPhone, BlackBerry, EVO, Epic, Droid X, Droid 2, or Droid Pro.

Even the BlackBerry's from a year ago are 3-4 times as fast as a Pre.

Whoever told you that any phone today does true autonomous multitasking didn't tell you the truth. True Autonomous Multitasking requires that each task have it's own CPU, memory, IO, and resources. No phone does this. You need a processor array or server farm. All they do is time sharing and save state as you exit the apps so it makes it look like Multitasking.

Still, this is multitasking for most users:
    You start listening a playlist and start typing an email when a Facebook note comes in. Before you can reply a text comes in that you reply to, then another, then another. You go back where you left off in the email and send it then finally get a chance to finish your Facebook note. Then a calendar note pops up that you have to be somewhere so you open Maps to get directions and Navigate to it. You say, "Text Chris I am on my way" and it does it while you drive. All while listening to your music.

I understand that this does not meet the definition of real multitasking, but wouldn't most people not be able to tell the difference?

- Craig
    Now, take the speed of Pre 2 boot up and overclock it .5GHZ and dream
  3.    #23  
    5GHz.. dream and watch your phone burning
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Give it a try and see what you find.

Real World Speed Test:
    1. With no apps running, time how long it takes to open your Facebook app.
    2. Close Facebook and time how long it takes to re-open Facebook.
    3. Close Facebook and time how long it takes to open Google Maps.
    4. Close Google Maps and time how long it takes to reopen Google Maps.

At each step you close the previous app.

What results do you see? Here is what everyone else got: How fast is your phone?

If you want to scare yourself go to Best Buy and do the same test on an iPhone, BlackBerry, EVO, Epic, Droid X, Droid 2, or Droid Pro.

Even the BlackBerry's from a year ago are 3-4 times as fast as a Pre.

Whoever told you that any phone today does true autonomous multitasking didn't tell you the truth. True Autonomous Multitasking requires that each task have it's own CPU, memory, IO, and resources. No phone does this. You need a processor array or server farm. All they do is time sharing and save state as you exit the apps so it makes it look like Multitasking.

Still, this is multitasking for most users:
    You start listening a playlist and start typing an email when a Facebook note comes in. Before you can reply a text comes in that you reply to, then another, then another. You go back where you left off in the email and send it then finally get a chance to finish your Facebook note. Then a calendar note pops up that you have to be somewhere so you open Maps to get directions and Navigate to it. You say, "Text Chris I am on my way" and it does it while you drive. All while listening to your music.

I understand that this does not meet the definition of real multitasking, but wouldn't most people not be able to tell the difference?

- Craig
    I'm still not clear from a user perceptive why "real" Multitasking would be better?
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

Whoever told you that any phone today does true autonomous multitasking didn't tell you the truth. True Autonomous Multitasking requires that each task have it's own CPU, memory, IO, and resources.
    Are you making up terms? Multitasking does not require multiple CPUs, that is multiprocessing. I can find no definition for "autonomous multitasking" that you reference so it looks like you are inventing terms. Where is that from?
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crabbz View Post
    Are you making up terms? Multitasking does not require multiple CPUs, that is multiprocessing. I can find no definition for "autonomous multitasking" that you reference so it looks like you are inventing terms. Where is that from?
    I don't get what they are trying to prove about this? If you open any app cold on a overclocked pre compared to any phone except for google maps there is no way every phone is four times faster. That's 1 sec to pres 4 sec on everything. That just isn't true. Things like twitter and the broweser and email are all very fast on my pre minus. And opening and closing an app down is not the same on the pre as it is on iphone or droid. Putting a card zoomed out is like putting the app in the freeze state or running in the background like iphone or droid, and flicking the card off completely kills the app so of course it's going to take more time to completely reopen the app than to bring it out of a freeze state on another phone. Also isn't blackberry known to be fast anyways? I mean the horrid ugliness of the OS on a year old phone, you can tell it doesn't take much processing power to open or run it's apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcamper View Post
    Now, take the speed of Pre 2 boot up and overclock it .5GHZ and dream
    Quote Originally Posted by boucles0 View Post
    5GHz.. dream and watch your phone burning
    Wasn't it .5Ghz? (500Mhz)

Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Wasn't it .5Ghz? (500Mhz)

Sure, I didn't see the "."
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12