i just bought a pre 2 from the uk webshop. now i would like to know
    if it would be possible to activate it in the netherlands and be able
    to use payed apps? With the first pre this wasn't possible, i had to
    activate it in germany.
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Same same
    Helaas...
    errr that's a shame. what is your source? you know someone who tried it? couldn't find it on the internet.

** wel jammer als het waar is, snap de logica van palm niet helemaal.
    rwhitby and I both plan to activate in the US to get access to the us catalog.
    Palm Support : Palm Pre 2 Unlocked (UK) - Using App Catalog in specific regions

Each phone is associated with a specific country. The country is assigned automatically the first time a Palm profile is created on the phone. The App Catalog apps you can access are based on the country associated with the phone.
    [...]
    Devices associated with the following countries can use App Catalog to purchase applications and to download free applications:

* Canada
    * Germany
    * IrelandÔřO
    * Mexico
    * Spain
    * United Kingdom
    * United States
  5.    #5  
    HP guy in Austria activated there and no paid apps.

Logic is twofold
    - physical presence (which is why you can pay for apps using a Dutch creditcard)
    - taxes

NL is a not a launch country but there's a Palm office.
    ahh well next weekend to munchen then. thanks btw
    So, if i have an UK O2 card with data roaming, i can activate in the NL, using that card, and have access to the paid apps.

Quote:
    For GSM phones that use a SIM card: The country is based on the location of the wireless service provider that issued the SIM card. For example, if the SIM card is issued by a wireless service provider in Germany, and you were in France when you created the phone’s first Palm profile, the phone is still associated with Germany.

So, i just bought myself a Irish O2 SIM card. (LOL)
    Last edited by Richard Rosenberger; 11/14/2010 at 04:23 PM.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing!
    hi GFN,

say I have a palm profile originally activated in the UK with my pre+. I purchase a pre2 and this was delivered to my home country singapore. If I sign-on to my orginal palm profile on the pre2, will I still have access to the paid and free apps as what I'm seeing on my pre+ now? Thanks.
    All this 1st activation business has to stop. Lift the geo-restriction on paid apps already!!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    it's an archaic system of "revenue" sharing with the operators.. I think they realized it does not work ..so they should scrap the controls..and make the apps available worldwide. Just put it with a USD fixed price ,and let forex fluctuations do the rest...
    Hi GFN,

If I purchase a UK O2 SIM card with data services and use the Pre2 in my home country Singapore to activate the phone for first use, will it allow me to have access to the paid and free apps?

Palm profile doesn't matter.
    What matters is where each device is activated for the first time.
    hi. is there a difference between activating it in germany or the uk?
    By the way, GFN, I've read all your posts on activation methods and still there are two unclear things to me.
    If I wouldn't activate my Pre2, can I still use it untill I reach launch country?
    When I reach launch country should I use sim from that country or just any other sim to activate it to get to payed apps?

Edit. by using I mean, of course, using as phone by the means of developers activation bypass method.
    That may be shooting yourself in the foot for EU users when EU apps (tbt nav?) are released that won't be available in the US AppCat.
    I have a Palm Pre activated in Germany for that

-- Rod
    Rod, your Pres eat iPhones for breakfast. They're not normal.
    They are well-travelled ...

-- Rod
    Its really dumb, why does palm assume that some in US activating a SIM card in US would not want an apps in Germany or Italy?
    Hmm, let me try to verbalize my conclusion;

It would be possible to use a o2 UK sim to activate a Palm Pre in the Netherlands, and have access to purchases in the app catalog? Which would mean we all have to get a prepaid o2 sim? Is that assumption correct then? Or do we still have to travel to one of those countries physically?
    Yep. You have to physically be in one of those countries.

This is the FOURTH time I'm giving the same answer to the same question in less than 30 posts.
    I'm sorry but I couldn't extract whether a sim from one of those countries would be enough. Now I have my answer; no that's not enough, you still have to be there too!

Thx
    Hi!

According to the support information at Palm (Palm Support : Palm Pre 2 Unlocked (UK) - Using App Catalog in specific regions) what counts for App Store access is the SIM-card when activating the phone the first time. So, could anyone help me get a AT&T prepaid SIM-card with like $10-20? I'm dying to get a Pre2 with a working AppStore..
    Yep. You have to physically be in one of those countries.

This is the FOURTH time I'm giving the same answer to the same question in less than 30 posts.
    Hi GfN
    I am a longtime lurker with a on FreeApps restricted Pre-. Thanks for all the good tipps on this really annoying subject. I just ordered a Pre2 in Palm Eurostore and also a o2o prepaid SIM from O2 Germany online. I want to activate it in Switzerland. You tell me now that this does not work, I actually have to travel physically to Germany in order to activate it?

If that is true I think this is a absolutly unreal treat! What for heavens sake do we have all those socalled roaming smartphones and worldwide dataconnections for? Please tell me I am wrong and I am able to activate my new device quietly on my kittchen table?! Thanks
    What about flashing it with the doctor and select germany as country?
    How long do you have to drive to germany? I need 30 minutes to get to the netherlands, i could help you
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast