Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rosenberger View Post
    Perhaps peeps now understand why i sell Pre-activated Pre2's in my NL-shop.
    That's why I bought such a Pre-activated Pre2 in that webshop! I hope to have it tomorrow. Thanks Richard!
    Since the North American Palm Pre 2 is out, wondering if it will have the same issue being first time activated in a non launch partner site. Anywho, I saw another person on there palm forums here that was having the same issue to which a forum admin requested for him/her to send over a log file of that device so he can check the issue out. Maybe peeps here with this issue can post on that link too. It better than just being quoted articles.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rosenberger View Post
    Perhaps peeps now understand why i sell Pre-activated Pre2's in my NL-shop.
    Interesting, I'll have to bookmark it in case I decide to get a Pre 2.
    Check out Movie Diary.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    How do I see from my device's info where my set is being activated?
    Any idea?

My Carrier says: ROW.
    Wat's that??
    Quote Originally Posted by vanngoh View Post
    How do I see from my device's info where my set is being activated?
    Any idea?

My Carrier says: ROW.
    Wat's that??
    You cannot see it anywhere - you can only see when it is too late and you look at the app catalog number of apps.

ROW = rest of world - e.g. An unlocked device.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    No way to see on the device itself where it has been activated for the first time.
    Which I think is a bad thing. Palm in general is very transparent, but wrt the app catalog they somehow decided(?) to make it quite obscure.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    We've been at this for over a year.
    Did you return the device and get your money back?
    thanks for the reminder. Just asked for a refund. We'll see...
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Received my RMA today, so will be returning it this week. I feel a bit sad though, since the Pre2 is a way better phone than the Pre.

Btw, I doctored the Pre2 with version 2.0.1 today, still no paid apps (not that I expected them). Just for the record.
    Quote Originally Posted by schraal View Post
    Received my RMA today, so will be returning it this week. I feel a bit sad though, since the Pre2 is a way better phone than the Pre.

Btw, I doctored the Pre2 with version 2.0.1 today, still no paid apps (not that I expected them). Just for the record.
    Did it wipe your USB partition or not? Thanks in advance.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Did it wipe your USB partition or not? Thanks in advance.
    yep, crisp and clear
    Quote Originally Posted by Adora View Post
    This is crazypants, you guys. I'm trying to figure out exactly what's incorrect on the Palm support page so we can update it.
    Unfortunately, the page is still misleading, and people are still being burnt by it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    yep, crisp and clear
    PM HardBeatZ and let him know that it did. The first time I Dr'ed it wiped mine as well, but the subsequent 3 times have not. I have not been able to duplicate it. He may ask you to send him a log file from the DR. that is stored on your computer.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    That first time activation process that dictates region for app catalog HAS to be on the app catalog server side and NOT the device. It appears to first check the serial # to see if it has access it in the past and if not create what appears to be a permanent log of that serial # on the server which country that device goes to.

Ive tried all channels in the customer service side to let them know of this but keep getting pushed back that the KB article is not wrong so maybe we need to appeal this issue to their developer relations side since this also effects devs too with being able to get more $$ for their work. PM both Hardbeats and Adora.

It will be a matter of them trying to reproduce the issue since it cannot be done at the corp office but going overseas with the unit and then back to run the doctor to find the app catalog still is blank.

In the past, there wasn't really any unbranded webos devices so Palm then sat comfortably with the idea that all the branded devices are to be used in the countries there were sold so I can see then it didn't' go far. The Pre2 is the first real unbranded webos device they have pushed out so its now all the sudden this issue is important for these customers are legitimately using for their intent and getting burned.

German Palm Pre QWERTZ model was sold unlocked by o2 as well as unlocked via Expansys since its launch in Europe.
    A very good point but that one but it was still branded O2 in Germany and not ROW. Do believe it was unlocked due to a mandate in the country to allow free use of carrier choice there. I policy I SOOO WISH the states would adopt.

Hello
    I have been investigating this a lot and talked to Palm about it. They contacted lead technicians and contacted me back for 100% guarantee.
    The way to get Paid apps is:

SIM Card from a country who has paid apps + ACTIVATE in THAT country = Paid Apps for that country.

Thats it! So don't try anything else or different combinations if you want paid apps.
    So why don't Palm sell unlocked pre-activated Palm Pre 2? They could charge some small fee (like $10) for activating it to the buyer profile and fill-in the warranty card. Heck if HP is smart they could make a service plan such as global next business day warranty or some such thing like what is available to their business class notebooks.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Im sure HP knows all these niusance like paid apps in approved countries, activate in approved countries bla bla, Im sure they'll iron out all these now that palm is under HP. They're fighting a war inside. Afterall the aquisition only took place less then a yr and im sure they're still handling 'personnel issues' and only a handful of 'dedicated workers' to concentrate on the R&D of webOS.

give them time and these kinda things cannot be settle overnight, it will take months to implement and even yrs to iron out even the slightest issue. Now that HP has got worldwide footprint in handseld and smartphones, it wouldn't let the reputation of webos to be tarnished.

I just cant stand ppl criticising abt PP2's look, design, hardware etc.. im sure pp2 is not HP's baby, its a prototype frm palm and since HP took over, they needed some new model to create public awareness: 'Hey! we're HPalm, and this is our webos..' albeit an outdated in today's updated techno.
    So, travelled to Germany this morning to activate the Pre2. Management overview: it failed

The longer version:
    I bought an O2o prepaid sim card, with an Internet-Pack-M to Go mobile internet package. There was a credit of 1 euro on the card, to be used for calling. And since I wasn't planning on using the sim to make phone calls I didn't put more credit on it. The sim was activated in the shop. (note: you need a German address and an ID (Passport) to buy a prepaid sim card in Germany).

So, I put the sim in my old Pre1 to check whether it was activated. It was.

Then, put the sim into the Pre2 and started it up. I created a new account with Palm. Chose German as the language. During this procedure I had to enter the Internet APN of O2 (which is: pinternet.interkom.de) to get any internet connectivity at all. Everything went fine (except for really bad coverage) until the question for recovering the password. I could not choose the question (the drop down remained read-only) and the device started complaining that it could not send an SMS (received a total of 12 messages that the sms could not be sent. Note that I did not send the sms myself, it must be part of the activation process). So I was stuck.

Then I remembered that I had not yet activated the internet package. Did that on the Pre1 and restarted the activation on the Pre2.

So created another new account, German language, etc. Everything went smooth. Rebooted automatically after the activation. Next step was entering an account for email, etc. Entered my gmail account. Opened the e-mail app and saw my emails. Rebooted the device.

After the reboot I went to the app catalog. No paid apps. I am able to enter my credit card details.

So obviously something went wrong. I think this happened: I didn't activate the mobile internet pack, due to which the 1 euro credit on the card was used for mobile internet. Then when the sms was supposed to be sent it failed because there was no more credit. And this might be the missing link in my activation process.

I went back to the shop to buy some credit for the sim, activated this on the pre1, rebooted the pre2 with the sim and waited a while, hoping for the sms to be sent again. Don't think this happened.
    I also tried erasing the device and creating a new German profile, etc (followed the steps in the GSM thread by GFN). Nothing helped.

So I'll be in touch with Palm coming Monday. Hopefully they can fix it somehow and otherwise I'll be returning the device, since it was ridiculous that I had to drive to Germany to get a fully functioning device anyway.

Just send a reply if there's anything I can do to either get my app catalog fixed or further diagnose why it doesn't work, so others can benefit as well.

Bottom line: make sure that you use a sim card with enough credit for phone, sms and internet and make sure you have good phone and internet coverage when activating the phone.
    Hi all,

unfortunately I had a similar experience as schraal... I'm a resident of Switzerland and drove to Germany for the first activation of my new unlocked Pre2 (bought through Palm Store UK).
    Bought an O2 prepaid starter pack there and went through the activation process (still physically in Germany).
    Everything looked fine until I started the 'App Catalog' - no paid apps! As far as I know paid apps should have shown up in the store right after successful activation...

Questions:
    - What have I done wrong?
    - Is there a way to correct this?

Your help is very appreciated! Thanx, Daniel
    I requested an RMA from Palm Store UK as I cannot accept to have a Pre 2 without access to the App Store...
    It's a pity, I liked my Pre 2... Such a differentiator from all these iPhones guys. Waiting now for a new HP/Palm WebOS Smartphone with App Store access in ALL countries.
    So long, dkuster
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast