Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KallistiMan View Post
    If that refers to me, I don't believe I was arguing with anyone.
    Nope, not you either.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    France is one of the Pre 2 launch countries, so that should work.
    As far as I know, most apps in the French AppCat are in English, and there are few differences between the German, French, Spanish and UK App Catalog.
    Thx GFN
    I have had confirmation in a chat with palm
    Ordered the pre 2 and is it shipped today
    When it arrives i try to activate i france.
    I let you folks know how it went
    Do not take this the wrong way but never depend on a Palm Tech chat for confirmation.
    These people tend to have very basic knowledge of the phone.
    In my experience, you're giving them too much credit.
    Quote Originally Posted by aviator1977 View Post
    Has anybody out there tried this scenario out yet?

aviator.
    Hi,

This is my 1st post. I am from India. Bought a Pre+ phone on Ebay - unlocked. What I have been able to deduce is that the phone is registered with ATT but is unlocked. I do not know whether the phone has been software unlocked or ATT has unlocked the same.

I am able to access the APP catalogue (all ATT apps only) both paid and free from here in India. I have been able to download free APPs and install them. Only sad part is that I am unable to buy the paid APP since I do not have a billing add in the countries (US,UK,Mexico etc)
    Search the forum for Simon Malls and P|C user name rwhitby.
    It's a virtual account. Also look in this thread:
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...41#post2764241
    Thanks a lot for the information.

Unfortunately as with member Naiki (http://forums.precentral.net/worldwi...ml#post2761690), I am unable to order these gift cards from US.
    I also do not know person who are in US and have a US address and can order on my behalf.

Thanks anyway for the help.

I am open to other solutions

K
    Do not take this the wrong way but never depend on a Palm Tech chat for confirmation.
    These people tend to have very basic knowledge of the phone.
    Thats for sure
    I cant see any apps at all.
    No paid, no free
    no luck
    So I travelled to Lörrach, Germany yesterday in order to activate my Pre 2 I got 2 days ago. After the purchase of a O2o prepaid starter package in the friendly O2 shop I had to wait for about 15min to have the SIMcard activatet. So I went to a bar, ordered a beer and waited with those trembling, wet little hands. After half a hour I put in the SIMcard in the Pre 2 and ... In short: absolute success Well done, HP Palm! All my contacts, google stuff, 7 mailaccounts but also tasks and even memos! are here. Also all of the downloaded (free)apps, but no homebrew of course. I have access to the german appcat but I am not (yet) able to buy anything because of the nationality of my MasterCard, wich is Switzerland. Next I'll work on that.

The downside are the costs: Palm Pre 2 £418.50, prepaid SIMcard €35.00, travel ~€50.00. I do not know the taxcosts of Switzerland yet. Not to mention the time for recherche, travelling etc. If I walk in the local swisscom shop and buy a IPhone 4 16GB on a 2 year contract I pay ~€170.00. Thats it. Sunrise even asks €0 for the same deal. I know, thats with a contract and the Pre is without. So I'll get a IPhone and sell it on Ebay in order to get some cash back.

Beside those thoughts I really love the Palm Pre 2, this little phone looks like a helpfull, funny bug to me and it works like a busy ant, much faster and smoother as the overclocked pre- I used before. Finally I am happy and I like to say thanks to all the helpfull poster in this great forum
    I suggest you return the device under warranty.
    Let them "have it".
    I contacted the store for a return.
    Hopefully they accept it
    I also have initiated an RMA
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Could it make a difference where your e-mail account's server is located? This is pure speculation, but since GFN's tip is to add your (e-mail/contacts/etc) account before visiting the app catalog you never know.
    So, when activating the phone in Germany it might be better to use a German mail provider?
    Ok after reading the postings here a few times, can we safely say from actuall events that first time activation of the phone is being based from its current location and NOT the country of origin of the SIM card used?

Do we know if this activation issue being triggered by the First Use app or is it the first time that particular phone accesses the app catalog?

At this point who cares what the KBs are, I want to know from actual events.

Thanks!
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Yes, location

FirstUse app. AppCatalog without logging into your profile is a nogo.
    Thanks!

Since this forum posting is getting thick and I shouldn't get credit for a sticky for this, could ya post and make it a stick so right at page one the facts are spilled out from the collective postings here?
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    So, travelled to Germany this morning to activate the Pre2. Management overview: it failed

The longer version:
    I bought an O2o prepaid sim card, with an Internet-Pack-M to Go mobile internet package. There was a credit of 1 euro on the card, to be used for calling. And since I wasn't planning on using the sim to make phone calls I didn't put more credit on it. The sim was activated in the shop. (note: you need a German address and an ID (Passport) to buy a prepaid sim card in Germany).

So, I put the sim in my old Pre1 to check whether it was activated. It was.

Then, put the sim into the Pre2 and started it up. I created a new account with Palm. Chose German as the language. During this procedure I had to enter the Internet APN of O2 (which is: pinternet.interkom.de) to get any internet connectivity at all. Everything went fine (except for really bad coverage) until the question for recovering the password. I could not choose the question (the drop down remained read-only) and the device started complaining that it could not send an SMS (received a total of 12 messages that the sms could not be sent. Note that I did not send the sms myself, it must be part of the activation process). So I was stuck.

Then I remembered that I had not yet activated the internet package. Did that on the Pre1 and restarted the activation on the Pre2.

So created another new account, German language, etc. Everything went smooth. Rebooted automatically after the activation. Next step was entering an account for email, etc. Entered my gmail account. Opened the e-mail app and saw my emails. Rebooted the device.

After the reboot I went to the app catalog. No paid apps. I am able to enter my credit card details.

So obviously something went wrong. I think this happened: I didn't activate the mobile internet pack, due to which the 1 euro credit on the card was used for mobile internet. Then when the sms was supposed to be sent it failed because there was no more credit. And this might be the missing link in my activation process.

I went back to the shop to buy some credit for the sim, activated this on the pre1, rebooted the pre2 with the sim and waited a while, hoping for the sms to be sent again. Don't think this happened.
    I also tried erasing the device and creating a new German profile, etc (followed the steps in the GSM thread by GFN). Nothing helped.

So I'll be in touch with Palm coming Monday. Hopefully they can fix it somehow and otherwise I'll be returning the device, since it was ridiculous that I had to drive to Germany to get a fully functioning device anyway.

Just send a reply if there's anything I can do to either get my app catalog fixed or further diagnose why it doesn't work, so others can benefit as well.

Bottom line: make sure that you use a sim card with enough credit for phone, sms and internet and make sure you have good phone and internet coverage when activating the phone.
    Last edited by schraal; 11/20/2010 at 08:05 AM. Reason: credit card can be added
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Yes, it was the first time. Never stuck a sim card into it and didn't bypass the activation.

Have been looking for an O2 loop on Ebay, but couldn't find one.
    Seems Palm can't launch a device without messing something up.
    My Pre 2 activated flawlessly on an AT&T sim from one of their demo phones in an AT&T store. Then they gave me a blank SIM so the Pre 2 would still function (just without phone/data service). So wifi it is.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Seems to be a problem with EU Pre 2's.
    As for the blank SIM. Why do you need a blank SIM? Works just as fine without the SIM.
    Or am I missing something?
    I haven't tried without the sim in the Pre 2, but when I boot my German Pre without a sim it goes to a screen similar to the battery or usb screen and says there is no sim.
    Returned the pre 2 today
    i'll stick to the iphone, or maybe switch to android
    at least they have a full function app store out of the box in belgium
    That screen's only displayed if the device is unactivated or doctored (no profile is logged in on that device)...
    Did you do a Full Erase or log into that profile on another device?
    Gotcha... I had doctored my German Pre minus when I got that screen and had to wait for my son to come by with his T-mobile sim so I could log in to my Palm Profile.

I did try removing the dummy sim from my Pre 2 and it works just fine.
    Perhaps peeps now understand why i sell Pre-activated Pre2's in my NL-shop.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast