Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    What about the Pre 2's available for purchase directly in the Palm eurostore. Would you think a device purchased and activated in NL then have access to paid apps??

Just a thought bubble..
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDizzAR View Post
    What about the Pre 2's available for purchase directly in the Palm eurostore. Would you think a device purchased and activated in NL then have access to paid apps??

Just a thought bubble..
    No, they have the same restrictions.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Incidentally, can someone explain to me the rational behind all of the geo-restrictions?
    Quote Originally Posted by schraal View Post
    To add some more information. On this page Palm says:

Billing addresses to purchase apps can be set up for phones in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium, France, Spain, Ireland, and the UK. Visa and Mastercard are accepted in all countries. Carte Bleu is also accepted in France, and Electron is also accepted in the UK.

If your phone was activated in a country not listed above, in App Catalog you see only the free apps offered by developers for that country.

So it says you need to activate in one of the countries mentioned, which includes a couple of countries where the Pre 2 is not officially launched (e.g. The Netherlands, yippie!).

The above article partially contradicts the information in the article referred to by GuyFromNam.
    I'll start a chat session with Palm EU tomorrow to clear things up.
    I am sorry to say the information above from Palm is incorrect. I ordered a Pre 2 from Palm UK for delivery to Belgium. I activated it using an Irish 02 sim whilst in Belgium. I do not have access to any paid apps. (and featured apps don't show up either).

I am also having trouble registering a credit card, although I believe that is due to the address mismatch issue discussed in other threads.

morgan
    This is an interesting page:
    Palm Support : Palm Pre 2 Unlocked (UK) - Using App Catalog

The most interesting excerpt:
    "Billing addresses to purchase apps can be set up for phones in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium, France, Spain, Ireland, and the UK."

I guess that doesn't necessarily mean you can also actually see commercial apps if you didn't activate in a launch country, of course.

One of the reasons for these problems is that developers have to specify what countries they want to launch the apps in. But I just noticed that there's now an option to specify "other" countries together with the launch countries. So maybe in the future more (free) apps will be available everywhere. I've resubmitted my app (which wasn't available in France either, apparently) so I hope it will show up in my phone's app catalog once it's approved.
    Check out Movie Diary.
    Quote Originally Posted by morgmel View Post
    I am sorry to say the information above from Palm is incorrect. I ordered a Pre 2 from Palm UK for delivery to Belgium. I activated it using an Irish 02 sim whilst in Belgium. I do not have access to any paid apps. (and featured apps don't show up either).

I am also having trouble registering a credit card, although I believe that is due to the address mismatch issue discussed in other threads.

morgan
    Yep, this just shows the futility of people believing the Palm support pages when it comes to unofficial countries.

The Palm pages are mostly incorrect compared to the direct experience of members of the community such as myself, GuyFromNam and yourself.

And yet other people continue to argue with us using Palm support pages or Palm support phone or chat channels as some sort of gospel.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I genuinely feel sorry for you.
    I suggest you start a new thread in the Palm Pre 2 thread to warn other users.

Also, return the device to Palm under warranty. You've officially been duped by their poor excuse for instructions.

The reason you can't register a credit card is that your Pre knows it does not have access to paid apps. The Account and Preferences option is inactive.
    I agree with what have you said.

Start a thread in Palm Official forums and contact them refering to poor instruction they made and request that this problem to be solved. I mean, they should help you and resolve the matter, you followed thier instruction word by word.
    Anyone experience with activation in france with sfr sim card.
    I live in belgium, like 2 minutes away from the border with france.
    Any major differences in the french or uk app catalog?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Although I have posted links to Palm support pages and a chat log, I have never argued with GFN or Rod.

The only thing I demonstrated was that the support pages are incorrect and thus misleading people. The chat log confirmed the point GFN and Rod are making: you have to physically be in one of the three supported countries in Europe (France, UK, Germany (no mention of Spain in the chat log)) when activating your phone, or you won't be able to see paid apps in the app catalog.

I too feel sorry for morgmel and advise him to try to fix the problem with Palm or otherwise return the phone within the 14 days trial period.
    Quote Originally Posted by schraal View Post
    Although I have posted links to Palm support pages and a chat log, I have never argued with GFN or Rod.
    Yes, I was referring mainly to an experience in a different thread.

I expect GFN knows which one I mean.

-- Rod
    This is crazypants, you guys. I'm trying to figure out exactly what's incorrect on the Palm support page so we can update it.
    I work(ed) for Palm.

Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Pixi -> Pre Plus -> Pre 2 -> Veer -> TouchPad -> Pre 3 -> Anything with a browser
    http://www.enyojs.com
    http://twitter.com/adora
    The safest thing to say, for GSM devices, is if you are physically outside of an official country (watch out for base stations with coverage areas that cross the border) or are using a sim that is not from an official Palm carrier partner country that supports paid apps, then you are risking an irrecovable denial of paid app service.

I seriously doubt that anyone at Palm really knows the exact formula.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Great that Palm is listening

This page says the following:

Billing addresses to purchase apps can be set up for phones in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium, France, Spain, Ireland, and the UK. Visa and Mastercard are accepted in all countries. Carte Bleu is also accepted in France, and Electron is also accepted in the UK.

If your phone was activated in a country not listed above, in App Catalog you see only the free apps offered by developers for that country.
    And in post number 99 of this thread morgmel tells us that a phone activated in Belgium does not show any paid app in the app catalog. And this is in contradiction with what the article says.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    By the way, it would be great if we could have paid apps for phones activated in Netherlands, Luxembourg and Belgium (and other European countries to which the Pre 2 is shipped to from the EU store). That would save time fixing the article
    it's odd seeing someone named juanita from the netherlands..
    Just got my Pre 2 this afternoon. Will drive to Lörrach tomorrow in order to activate it in a O2 Store with this Loop SIM.
    After activation is it ok to use my old profile from my first Pre-? I activated it in Switzerland and I had only free apps on it. My country settings in this Profile are USA, language is English. Thanks to anyone!
    Thanks GfN, no prob with the profile because the old Pre is sent in for repair of the speaker. I am Pre'less at the moment ...
    I've received my Pre 2 today and I'm pretty disappointed... the first thing I noticed was the poor build quality - the oreo effect of the slider is VERY bad, worse than anything I've experienced with Pre or Pre Plus models. Second, upon activation of the Pre 2 (using my german O2 sim card in the midst of Germany) I had to find out that I can't access any paid apps in the App Catalog. No matter what language is set (German or English), doesn't work at all...
    I'm going to send it back and ask for a refund. What a waste of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adora View Post
    This is crazypants, you guys.
    Whats crazypants is that there are geo restrictions for the app store for an unlocked device. Selling software over the internet has been done for many years across all sorts of country borders. If there are any questions just check with PocketGear or any other such company how they do it.

Additionally, within the European Union (and the EEC countries) there is a common market. Even if selling outside of the EU would be problematic it is really crazy crazypants not to let us, within the EU, give Palm and developers money. It's free money for Palm, you know?! You only need a company and tax status within one country, as evident by us being able to by the hardware from the eurostore in Ireland. Why not let a market of over 500 million citizens get access to the Pre 2 and the App Store? I can't figure this out and I have not seen any probable reasoning for it.

Other than Palm being stuck in a US/CDMA business strategy while the rest of the world works differently. And the competitors are using that to get market share and developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    And yet other people continue to argue with us using Palm support pages or Palm support phone or chat channels as some sort of gospel.
    If that refers to me, I don't believe I was arguing with anyone. I was only saying that we have official (albeit maybe not so trustworthy) information saying one thing and no information (about the unlocked Pre2) saying anything else. Based on that it might not be so prudent to claim to know the truth. The best strategy I thought was to say: "The official info says this but it is highly probable that its wrong and the consequences if it is wrong is very high. If someone tests it anyway we can include that info here."

Now we have anecdotal evidence that the official information is wrong and we can refer to that in the future..
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast