Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    To add some more information. On this page Palm says:

Billing addresses to purchase apps can be set up for phones in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium, France, Spain, Ireland, and the UK. Visa and Mastercard are accepted in all countries. Carte Bleu is also accepted in France, and Electron is also accepted in the UK.

If your phone was activated in a country not listed above, in App Catalog you see only the free apps offered by developers for that country.
    So it says you need to activate in one of the countries mentioned, which includes a couple of countries where the Pre 2 is not officially launched (e.g. The Netherlands, yippie!).

The above article partially contradicts the information in the article referred to by GuyFromNam.
    I'll start a chat session with Palm EU tomorrow to clear things up.
    Last edited by schraal; 11/15/2010 at 02:27 PM.
    I'm not going to get involved in these "App Catalog access" discussions anymore. They give me a headache... There are way too many variables to consider and people never seem to give you all the info needed in order for you to offer advice... This isn't directed to anyone here; Just my observations over the past year or so lol.

I salute you GFN. You have much more patience that I do haha.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Nobody yet has mentioned the critical factor in app catalogue access entitlement: the age of your sister's boyfriend's dog.

To those who are arguing with GFN: please do the specific experiment and report the results before believing a web page.

-- Rod (who sends things to the US to be activated)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Nobody yet has mentioned the critical factor in app catalogue access entitlement: the age of your sister's boyfriend's dog.

To those who are arguing with GFN: please do the specific experiment and report the results before believing a web page.

-- Rod (who sends things to the US to be activated)
    But Palm says it's the "age of you sister's boyfriend's cat"... I don't know who to believe!
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    I played this ball also in the Dev forums. I will report back what is not under NDA.
    Clear is (palm said) that the Pre 2 needs to be activated using the network (read SIM-card) of the partners palm does e-commerce with, regardless of the country. Having that said, it (that) might not be correct as GFN pointed out. So, if someone activates the Pre 2 in the Netherlands with a SIM from Germany, or UK/Ireland, let him please post the result here. A lot of people would be grateful for this information.
    Last edited by Richard Rosenberger; 11/15/2010 at 04:20 PM.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    So you bought a brand new Pre and activated it for the first time in Mexico? According to the webOS Internals list, Mexico isn't supported...
    Yes, a brand new Sprint phone. I reconfigurated it to work with Iusacell CDMA network, then I made my Palm Profile and I had access to US App Catalog even though I activated my Pre in Mexico.
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    Yes, a brand new Sprint phone. I reconfigurated it to work with Iusacell CDMA network, then I made my Palm Profile and I had access to US App Catalog even though I activated my Pre in Mexico.
    Read the Palm article again. It is very clear about CDMA phone activation and how it differs from GSM activation. While you are reading it, remember that Palm cannot even legally acknowledge situations like yours (where a carrier TOS is broken and a CDMA phone is used on a different carrier network).

There is nothing special about your ex-Sprint CDMA phone accessing the US App Catalog. Palm considers it to be a Sprint phone, and you get the Sprint app catalog. I have four Sprint phones in Australia that can access the Sprint app catalog, and there isn't even a CDMA network to use in Australia.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    In other words, if palm doesnt explecitly say YOU CAN ACTIVATE HERE, you cant!
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    So I had my little chat with Palm. See below for the transscript (removed the names and times)

Palm: From the description you provided I understand that you have an inquiry about the Palm Pre 2 and its activation.
    Customer: yes, correct
    Customer: the point is that I'm in the Netherlands and rumors are that when I activatie the device in the Netherlands with a Dutch SIM card, I won't be able to buy apps in the app catalog
    Palm: I see. If you activate the device in the Netherlands you will not be able to fully use the applications catalogue Sir.
    Customer: That is strange, since this information is nowhere to be found in the store or on the device's page
    Palm: In understand Sir, the device needs to be activated in the countries where it was launched to be able to fully use it afterwards.
    Customer: Which countries are that? And do I fysically have to be in these countries or can I use a sim card from one of these countries?
    Palm: You will have to be in those countries fiscally and the countries are France, Germany and the United Kingdom.
    Customer: fiscally or fysically?
    Palm: Sorry I mistyped.
    Palm: Is there anything else I can help you with right now?
    Customer: You mistyped, so it has to be fysically?
    Palm: Yes, you need to be in those countries Sir.
    Customer: ok, clear
    Customer: what's your advice for me?
    Customer: can I return the device, because obviously I can't use it as advertised
    Palm: You can either return it if you like to but you will have to arrange that with the EU store or you can either go to one of those countries or if you have anyone you know there you can send them the device, they can activate it and then send it back to you already activated.
    Customer: This is a bit disappointing, since I hoped I would be able to activate the device in NLD
    Customer: But thank you for the clear answer
    Palm: I understand Sir and I am sorry that it did not work out as you expected it to.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    It's a 30-60 minute drive for me to Germany. Thanks for the tip, I'll search Ebay for a sim and head to Germany this weekend.
    The pre2 arrived here. impressive device, although i cannot use it yet, because i would not activate it here in the Netherlands, and i don't have a SIM ready for German activation. On top of it the the byass activation tool from Palm does not work with the Pre2....... I guess i'll have to wait......
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    You've got the Irish o2 with data/roaming right? You could use that in Germany.
    If Palm's right you get the UK Catalog (my guess is you get the German).
    Be sure to use German language settings, or you'll have a heart attack.
    I know, but i need to travel to Germany, and i have to wait for the SIM to arrive first!
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    What exactly happens when you activate in Germany and apply English settings? No Paid apps? German English all over ze place? ;-)

Btw, I currently have a Movistar Pre, activated in Spain, with English language settings applied (my profile says Country: UK and Language: English) and a Dutch SIM card. I have the Spanish app catalog, but all WebOS texts are in English.

just curious...
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I would not worry to much!

I have a German Pre with US English that was activated in the O2 store in Germany. No problems with language settings, I have full access to German app catalogue including payed apps.

FYI!
    -Unlocked Pre3 QWERTY from Palm Eurostore
    Activated on German app catalog including Payed Apps with wirecard.com
    -TouchPad from EBay using German app catalog
    German App Cataloge including Payed Apps with wirecard.com
    -HP Veer QWERTZ from MediaMarkt in Germany as backup/tehtering device
    Activated on German app catalog with Impostah including Payed Apps with wirecard.com
    -German O2 Pre- testing 2.2.4 WiFi only profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rosenberger View Post
    The pre2 arrived here. impressive device, although i cannot use it yet, because i would not activate it here in the Netherlands, and i don't have a SIM ready for German activation. On top of it the the byass activation tool from Palm does not work with the Pre2....... I guess i'll have to wait......
    You could use the 2.0 novacom drivers from the webOS Doctor and then use the MetaDoctor to bypass activation.

But I would recommend waiting and activating properly in an official country.

-- Rod
    Ok what about this scenario,
    what happens if the Pre 2 is activated in the US with a ATT sim?
    because according to the discussion that Schraal had with Palm
    the US isn't a launch country for the Pre 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by aviator1977 View Post
    Ok what about this scenario,
    what happens if the Pre 2 is activated in the US with a ATT sim?
    because according to the discussion that Schraal had with Palm
    the US isn't a launch country for the Pre 2.
    First, never believe anything you get from an outsourced level 1 tech support person. They are just reading scripts for common situations. Anyone on this forum who contacts them does not have a common situation, and their scripts will not answer it correctly.

-- Rod
    First, never believe anything you get from an outsourced level 1 tech support person. They are just reading scripts for common situations. Anyone on this forum who contacts them does not have a common situation, and their scripts will not answer it correctly.

-- Rod
    Has anybody out there tried this scenario out yet?

aviator.
    Quote Originally Posted by aviator1977 View Post
    Has anybody out there tried this scenario out yet?

aviator.
    Dieter was accessing the app catalogue on AT&T on his Pre 2.

-- Rod
    Dieter was accessing the app catalogue on AT&T on his Pre 2.

-- Rod
    That's great news.

aviator.

Rod just to be sure he was accesssing the US AppCat?
    Last edited by aviator1977; 11/16/2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: forgot to ask a question.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast