Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Just got an email from Palm, they shipped my Pre2......
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing!
    Thanks s-i.m.o-n, but I am from Switzerland. For me it's a 80 Minutes drive.
    So... your saying that I have to be in a launch country to activate a phone? Or is there a patch for that? I'm not really understanding the process.... What if I want to buy apps? Can I do it in the Netherlands??
    Repeated posts by GuyfromNam who did a great job investigating this seem to indicate that will not help unless you are also in the US physically.

Having said that, I am going to turn my Pre on in a bunker (no Cell access) and try to expose it to a Wifi access point VPNed to the US.

Maybe it would work, or maybe it would just be an elaborate setup for nothing... but then again, I could always use the bunker as my lair-of-evil …
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Don't activate in The Netherlands. It's not an official launch country (yet).

6th time.
    The thing is, the Palm Knowledgebase states the following;

For GSM phones that use a SIM card: The country is based on the location of the wireless service provider that issued the SIM card. For example, if the SIM card is issued by a wireless service provider in Germany, and you were in France when you created the phone’s first Palm profile, the phone is still associated with Germany.
    Which would prove what you say wrong. That would mean namely that you could use a UK simcard and activate it in the Netherlands without being physically in the UK. That's why I needed clarification.
    Rod, could you shed some light on this specifically pls?

Palm Knowledge Base
    Last edited by TheDizzAR; 11/15/2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Added Palm Knowledge Base link
    Then I guess the support info is wrong and we can sue them?!

For GSM phones that use a SIM card: The country is based on the location of the wireless service provider that issued the SIM card. For example, if the SIM card is issued by a wireless service provider in Germany, and you were in France when you created the phone’s first Palm profile, the phone is still associated with Germany.
    <threads merged>

Sorry GFN
    Quote Originally Posted by KallistiMan View Post
    Then I guess the support info is wrong and we can sue them?!
    Not quite. In that example, Palm uses two supported countries.

If you are physically in an unsupported country and activate your phone, you will still be locked out...
    Please test it, and report back here.

We have no recorded incidence of this nor a specific confirmaton from Palm.
    That's why we don't encourage people to try that out (can I say "we").
    You only get one shot.

But by all means, if you take Palm's word for it, please go ahead and try it. I would love for it to be true. Seriously!
    Then we definitely have to sue them or let them fix it for us!
    GuyFromNam:
    Just because you repeat it doesn't make it so

Garrett92C:
    Well, this part should be true regardless of their example:
    The country is based on the location of the wireless service provider that issued the SIM card.
    I just got a new Pre Plus (activated by friendly UK ebay seller) and have one back-to-basics question.

Why is it that Palm III to Treo 680 users don't experience any similar sort of app problems but from the year 2009 onwards they do? What changed? (Either philosophically or otherwise)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDizzAR View Post
    Then we definitely have to sue them or let them fix it for us!
    Standing with you. I will also not travel to Germany and report afterwards. Thanks to everyone for the support.
    Again, and that's my last post on the subject:

By all means, everyone feel free to experiment with that ONE shot at getting it right. Once you activate incorrectly, your shot at paid apps is out the window, down a cliff.

What we're (I can say "we" right"?) are trying to provide on this forum, especially in the sticky threads I would think, is info on this specific subject that will work for EVERYONE.
    Using the device as intended by Palm/carrier is a foolproof way of getting paid apps.

I'm sure there are zillions of nerds out there who can feed bogus callback info to the Palm servers. They don't need help.

We don't want thousands of unofficial users making the same mistake all over again.
    Yes you are right, we really want to provide the right information. But we couldnt prove anything wrong unless we are sure that it wouldnt work. Especially since HP/Palm itself states that it should work with a sim card regardless of physical availibility.

Our community is here for finding the best solution for everyone, so there has to be a balance with stuff that have been proven before, but there has to be some room for trying out new ways.
    Suppose I tell you "sure, go right ahead" and you end up with free apps only.
    You're half an hour away from where I live (when you're not in Egypt)! What if you're a very big guy who wants to punch me in the face for giving him bad advice?
    I'm just saying, we could say; To be safe, the best thing is to activate in one of the specific countries. But that's different than saying; No, it would not work. Since There might be a chance that it works, as Palm states indirectly. That way, even when a big guy tries to activate his phone in the Netherlands, you could just say; told you so.

P.S.: I'm not a really big guy, and I don't go around punching people in the face for what it's worth
    Suppose I tell you "sure, go right ahead" and you end up with free apps only.
    You're half an hour away from where I live (when you're not in Egypt)! What if you're a very big guy who wants to punch me in the face for giving him bad advice?
    Well, don't give advice then.. I appreciate that you want to help people but if there is official Palm KB page saying that the Palm intended way is for a GSM phone to be activated with a SIM card from a specified country then claiming otherwise - without any source - is not really helping.
    Lawd, I cannot believe all this whining. If you trust the Palm KB page, by all means, go right ahead. But Rod has already said that trying to use an AT&T card in Australia did not work. Maybe Sweden or the Pre 2 is special. But probably not.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    We know more about access to the App Catalog tha Palm does. Recent example: Palm's list of supported countries is incorrect. They list Mexico as having access to paid apps and France listed as an unsupported country...
    Palm profile doesn't matter.
    What matters is where each device is activated for the first time.
    I have an unlocked AT&T Pre+ and the first Palm profile (abc@xyz) was created in the US with an AT&T SIM. I use the phone in India with a local Vodafone SIM and have full access to the US App store and I have purchased several apps. Based on everything we 'seem' to know, if I were to use a Pre 2 purchase from UK/Germany for the first time in India with the local Vodafone SIM, the phone would NOT have access to any App store. But, since I will use my existing Palm profile (abc@xyz) to login instead of creating a new profile, what happens to all the apps that I have already purchased and also the free apps that I had downloaded previously and are supposedly backed up to my profile? How can Palm deny me access to applications that are paid for and bought? Is there any licensing agreement that we have agreed to that limits the use of the apps to a particular country?
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    We know more about access to the App Catalog tha Palm does. Recent example: Palm's list of supported countries is incorrect. They list Mexico as having access to paid apps and France listed as an unsupported country...
    You can buy apps in Mexico. I have a Sprint Palm Pre here in Mexico with Iusacell and I was able to add my credit card.

Telcel Pres can't buy apps because they are still stuck with webOS 1.4 (yes, 1.4!).
    So you bought a brand new Pre and activated it for the first time in Mexico? According to the webOS Internals list, Mexico isn't supported...
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast