Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    OK, so I'm told you guys haven't got a review yet and want some user feedback.
    I've been a Pre+ user for over 6 month and all in all, I've been pretty happy with the experience.
    But when the Pre2 came out in France, I knew I would not resist and would have to get one!
    I know that the next devices are just around the corner, but the Pre form factor is exactly what I need. If/When I'll want a bigger screen/device, I'll go for a tablet.

So, everyone knows about the specs, so I won't list them here.
    I'll just go over the user experience of this spec bump.

The Screen.
    I love it. The Gorilla Glass makes the device feel like a high-end device. It looks and feels good. Admitedly though, I'll miss the particular look that the rounded screen gave the Pre, but a plastic screen was too cheap. I can finally do without a screen protector.

The Slider
    Although I had no problems whatsoever with my Pre+ in the time I've used it, I have to admit that under certain circumstances, depending on the angle and/or the pressure I used to opened the slider it could feel a bit uneasy with a strange friction. This is completely gone on the Pre2. It feels right straight away.

The Speed
    Now that is more like it! The whole phone feels fluid, no menu lags at all and the applications load quickly. Obviously, on the Pre+, overclocking helped that a lot but it would kill your battery so fast that you really had to be cautious on when you enabled the overclock (even with the screenstates profiles).

The Battery life
    That was a surprise because I did not expect this judging from the specsheet.
    Today, as I'm writing this, I've been using the phone normally under medium/poor coverage, testing the apps, testing WebOs Doctor with a complete profile restoration and downloading of all my apps, etc. It's now been 12H since my last charge and the phone battery is at 17%... Now if you put this in perspective with the CPU speed and all, this is a pretty amazing improvement.
    Granted, it's not possible to say yet how much is due to the OS power management improvement and how much is due to hardware changes. We'll just have to wait for the general webOS2.0 update to know what's what.

The keyboard.
    No real change here IMO. It feels marginally better but maybe that's because it's brand new! That wasn't a big issue for me thought (even with my big fingers).

The Camera.
    I did not have a chance to test it much yet, so I won't comment on it now.

The notification LED.
    Yeah, it's changed a bit. Slightly wider and brighter. It's more clearly visible.
    And the design touch is nice because it matches the earpiece aperture on the top of the screen (which has changed as well).

The screen edges and USB port
    Might be a detail, but again, this makes the phone look/feel of a much higher quality. Inserting the USB cable is also much easier.

The Boot/Reboot time
    Yeah. So although a boot from a complete power down (battery swap) is maybe only like 20% faster, a reboot is literally twice as fast. PalmPre-France did a test and the Pre2 reboots in around 1 minute while the Pre+ takes over 2 minutes. When you've been used to wait that much every time you installed a homebrew patch, this is a much welcomed improvement. Oh and there seems to be some OS magic here, because activating the Developper mode now does not require to reboot the device!

Well there it is folks, I did not talk about webOS2.0 (which bloody rocks! ) because everyone will get a chance to give it a go soon enough.
    But as far as hardware goes, for a Pre lover like me, the upgrade was worth it because it eliminates/greatly reduces most of the Pre's weaknesses.
    If you're happy with the Pre's form factor than it's really worth your while IMO. If you want a next gen device, just wait a couple of month to see what's coming... I personally am convinced that once I'll get a PalmPad (or another Tablet), I'll have no need whatsoever for a next gen candy bar phone.
    But to each is own! :-)

Cheers
    Last edited by Badcard; 11/14/2010 at 04:10 PM.
    Well done, thank-you very much. If you would be so kind, would you try to take a picture of something small and relatively close up, like a bar code and post it in here? A bar code, a page of 10 point font, something like that so we can see what kind of detail will be able to be resolved. On the Pre, you can't take a picture of a business card because the text is too blurry. I'm hoping the Pre 2 does a little better in this regard.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Thanks for the review - it's very much appreciated!
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    This was a very good hardware review.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Nice review. You hit on all the points I wanted to know about. I also like the Pre size and form factor and plan to upgrade to the Pre 2. When I want the big screen experience I use my iPad.
    Any oreo effect when the slider is all the way up?
    Thanks Badcard. Nice to get an opinion from someone that likes the Pre form factor.

I think I'll miss the rounded edges, but I'll probably like the glass more.
    Yea...Well hopefully HP is release something better for Sprint users to play with because we are being left out in the dry. We need something fresh already!
    thanks for the review.

ps, overclock on pre/pre+ doesn't kill battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    thanks for the review.

ps, overclock on pre/pre+ doesn't kill battery.
    No it doesn't, but the phone gets damn hot after some extensive use ...

badcard, you covered exactly what a current pre/pre+ needs to know imo, that's great
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Well done, thank-you very much. If you would be so kind, would you try to take a picture of something small and relatively close up, like a bar code and post it in here? A bar code, a page of 10 point font, something like that so we can see what kind of detail will be able to be resolved. On the Pre, you can't take a picture of a business card because the text is too blurry. I'm hoping the Pre 2 does a little better in this regard.
    Yes, that would be very good to know. How close can you get to a page of text with it in focus?
    Sharp YO-370 -> HP 200LX -> Palm m125 -> Palm Treo 680 -> Pre 2

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein
    Has a lover of webos and the Palm pres... I'm thankful to you for such an informative feedback on the Pre 2.

I've love the palm pre 2 since it first got published, I'm glad they kept the form factor, and fix certain areas that was a problem with the pre/plus.

The 1ghz kernel certainly make the pre 2 a phone to be reckon with. I'm looking forward to owning one very soon. I'm really excited to feel the smooth glide of the slider, and a screen that I don't have to wear this plastic cover anymore.

...Until Hp|Palm announce another webos phone(s) that satisfy me - then the Pre 2 will do just fine.
    I. AM. JEALOUS.

I'm still on the Sprint Pre (minus) and want a Pre2 right now, even if it's just a hold-over device. Arrgh.
    Your review is way too positive. It's going to attract the usuals to come in and start attacking.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Your review is way too positive. It's going to attract the usuals to come in and start attacking.
    ...Or maybe it's just a good phone? We won't know until we see it for ourselves.
    of course itsa good decent phone. But it will still attract some naysayers around here who never seem to be satisfied. Like everything in life there will always be critics.

the problem with this market is that everything is compared to the holy grail phone (imo I don't know why I cannot stand it let alone apple itself) when it shouldn't be compared. Competition is a good thing. Differences is a good thing. Bottom line: if you try to compare a webos phone, android, wm7 phone to the iphone all the time then go get an iphone because those who do will never be happy

Quote Originally Posted by legos View Post
    ...Or maybe it's just a good phone? We won't know until we see it for ourselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by legos View Post
    I, for one, always like to see pros and cons. No phone is perfect and reviews that only list positives aren't complete reviews.
    thank you for the outstanding review. Pretty objective, not all glowing. Gives us a realistic view and confirms the moderate upgrade specs that have been mentioned.

of course the pre 2 won't be a top seller but as long as it's one of a family of upcoming devices by hp, I think it's a great option for people that like the form factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    This.

But it...it can't be!! A positive review on the Pre2? Oh wait, he actually HAS one and has USED the device instead of "specuhating" about it.

Queue the bridge people in 4...3....2....
    We should probably try not to feed the trolls before they even show up.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast