Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    well as far as I know.

http://www.t3.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/palm-pre-2-review
    Palm Pre 2 review: hands on
    Posted by Joe Svetlik on Fri 12 Nov 2010
    Is the Palm Pre successor a killer smartphone?
    We’ve unwrapped our shiny new Palm Pre 2 here at T3 towers and have been playing with it and its webOS 2.0 (called HP webOS since the takeover) operating system since yesterday. It doesn’t launch until Monday, but here’s our first verdict.

The handset has almost exactly the same dimensions as its predecessor, the Palm Pre Plus, but the Palm Pre 2 is slightly slimmer thanks to the new glass screen that sits flush on the device, rather than bulging out. The screen feels more responsive than the plastic, and the sharp edges are gone, so it won’t slice your face when you answer. On the back you’ve got a 5-megapixel camera replacing the 3-, and it’s got new insides, with a 1GHz Texas Instruments Omap 3630 processor that’s twice as fast as its predecessor.

Check our Palm Pre Plus 2 images

Related links
    UK Palm Pre review
    Palm Pixi Plus review
    Palm Pre Plus review
    But of course a handset’s only as good as its software, and webOS 2.0 doesn’t disappoint. The Palm Pre 2 now has ‘true’ multitasking – it has the same Cards display as before, but the windows (or ‘cards’) are live, so if a video is playing on one app, it’ll play on the Card too, just like HTC’s Android handsets when you zoom out to see all your apps at once. Cards sit side by side and you swipe up from the Gesture Area just below the screen to enter Card view, as before. You can now flick one up to close it as well, like throwing applications from a Mac OSX dock.

A new feature in Cards is Stacking – windows within applications open like a stacked deck of cards, so if you open more windows within one browser session and they’ll appear together, letting you open one full screen in no time. You can switch the order so whatever you want is on top, and there’s no hard limit to how many you can stack, it depends on how memory intensive they are. But Palm says it should run 20-30 apps at once.

Alerts come in at the bottom of the screen, appearing as icons, rather than intruding on what you’re doing. You can add pages to the menu, personalising it how you want, so you can swipe left or right rather than scrolling down one long menu. Again there’s no limit to how many you can have, and you can re-order what’s where to fit how you use your phone.

Universal search has been renamed Just Type, and you can now search apps, bookmarks, and loads more. Quick Actions are new within Just Type – start typing and you can use the text in any way you want, from updating your Facebook status to the body of a text or email. You can find Quick Actions near the bottom of the Just Type menu.

The whole platform has been opened up too, allowing you to perform actions from the phone rather than launch dedicated applications. For example you can add CNN videos to Just Type from the CNN website if you download an interface module – developers are making these to work within Just Type, so you can search a site without launching the browser. There’s no word on who’s making them yet, but announcements are to follow soon. If your social network adds a module you can easily import all your contacts from that into your phonebook, then choose the best way to contact them. Like we say, nothing’s confirmed, but we’d guess a Facebook one can’t be far off.

Other extras include selecting contacts as favourites, then they’ll be prioritised when you search, as well as have their own section in contacts so finding them is quicker. You can also set shortcuts for every text program – e.g. type ‘Br’ and it comes out as ‘Best regards’, to save time when texting and emailing.

Palm has redesigned the app catalogue, making it easier to search and for it to promote featured apps, and the Touchstone charger also has a nifty new feature. Called Exhibition, it’s a mode developers can build into their apps to show a different screen when the Palm Pre 2 is docked, so it could turn your phone into a digital photo frame, for example. Then you just choose which app will launch when you dock. This’ll be in an over the air update shortly after launch.

So, with improved hardware, quicker software with cool new features, the Palm Pre 2 is looking a real contender. It’s available SIM free from Monday for £399, network deals are yet to be announced.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by T3
    The Palm Pre 2 now has ‘true’ multitasking – it has the same Cards display as before, but the windows (or ‘cards’) are live, so if a video is playing on one app, it’ll play on the Card too, just like HTC’s Android handsets when you zoom out to see all your apps at once.
    huh?

What in the what now?

I don't have Palm Pre yet, but shouldn't the webOS 1.x have already a 'true' multitasking?

EDIT:
    This is a more of preview rather then a review.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    ... and the sharp edges are gone, so it won’t slice your face when you answer...
    Are they referring to the sharp edge around the keyboard? It doesn't even touch my face?!?
    Originally Posted by kkhanmd:
    ... and the sharp edges are gone, so it won’t slice your face when you answer...

Originally Posted by RUSH:
    LOL, very funny. How close is your phone to your face when you're making/receiving calls. Note: I mostly feel the sharpness when typing.
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    huh?

What in the what now?

I don't have Palm Pre yet, but shouldn't the webOS 1.x have already a 'true' multitasking?

EDIT:
    This is a more of preview rather then a review.
    Can anyone of the owners of the webOS 1.x confirm this? Are the cards alive when you switch between one app to the other?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    Can anyone of the owners of the webOS 1.x confirm this? Are the cards alive when you switch between one app to the other?

Thanks
    His entire review is full of stuff that was mentioned and was included in webos 1.0. You can clearly tell the guy doesn't know anything about webos.

Yes cards have been live since release, yes you could always throw cards away , yes it always had true multitasking, no android apps don't zoom out the home screens do /facepalm this guy is not fit to do reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    His entire review is full of stuff that was mentioned and was included in webos 1.0. You can clearly tell the guy doesn't know anything about webos.

Yes cards have been live since release, yes you could always throw cards away , yes it always had true multitasking, no android apps don't zoom out the home screens do /facepalm this guy is not fit to do reviews.
    The webOS 1.x in the emulator showed that and I was so sure, but when I read the review I was like "Huh?"
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Originally Posted by kkhanmd:

Originally Posted by RUSH:
    LOL, very funny. How close is your phone to your face when you're making/receiving calls. Note: I mostly feel the sharpness when typing.
    Actually, I was hoping the edges would be sharper so I could shave while I was on the phone. Oh well . . .
    Sharp YO-370 -> HP 200LX -> Palm m125 -> Palm Treo 680 -> Pre 2

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    This review is sooooo off. This guy has not used a pre b4. Did he actually say that webOS now support true multitasking like HTC phones......... I don't know if I should be shocked or angry....

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Dear T3:

I am writing to apply for the position of technological device reviewer. I feel that I am uniquely qualified to perform this job because I have used an electronic device at some point in my life and all my friends say I'm a great writer. I look forward to contributing to your website, which I understand is now available on the Internet. Thank you for your consideration.

Very truly yours,

Analog
    ^We regretfully wish to inform you that your application has been declined at this time. It is believed that, due to your very impressive list of qualifications, you would soon be snapped up by one of the larger internet bloggy site things on The Google.

As you appear to be a very advanced technological personage I do have a personal matter I hope you could help with. When I insert one of my xbox games into my Mac Pro Booky (it's so shiny!!!) it will not let me play the game. How can I fix this?

Yours,
    3T oops, I mean T3 looooool
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Are they referring to the sharp edge around the keyboard? It doesn't even touch my face?!?
    I think I understand this now, he must be holding the phone to his face backwards (with the keyboard against his ear) lol
    It would be awesome if the T3 editors are reading this forum also ...

*Hey, joe! come over here ... they are making fun of your review*
    *WHAT?!?!?! WHY?*

LOL
    "if your social network adds a module you can easily import all your contacts from that into your phonebook, then choose the best way to contact them. Like we say, nothing’s confirmed, but we’d guess a Facebook one can’t be far off."
    Umm, not far off as in june 2009!
    "and the Touchstone charger also has a nifty new feature. Called Exhibition, it’s a mode developers can build into their apps to show a different screen when the Palm Pre 2 is docked, so it could turn your phone into a digital photo frame, for example. Then you just choose which app will launch when you dock. This’ll be in an over the air update shortly after launch."

Isn't this coming WITH 2.0? Not an update after the 2.0 update? This review is just sad.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    No, exhibition was delayed until after 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    No, exhibition was delayed until after 2.0
    Aww, Lame. This review is still sad though.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    The Palm Pre 2 now has ‘true’ multitasking – it has the same Cards display as before, but the windows (or ‘cards’) are live, so if a video is playing on one app, it’ll play on the Card too, just like HTC’s Android handsets when you zoom out to see all your apps at once.
    Is this actually true? As we all know, videos stop when the video player card is minimized in 1.4.5 (without the patch). Does 2.0 keep videos playing in the background? News to me.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbono13 View Post
    Is this actually true? As we all know, videos stop when the video player card is minimized in 1.4.5 (without the patch). Does 2.0 keep videos playing in the background? News to me.
    Which patch is that?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast