Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    So up until now every update to WebOS has gone to the carriers first for testing and approval, but no UK operator carries the Pre 2 so there hardly likely to spend money reviewing the software.

    Does this mean that future updates may come direct from Palm without delay?

    If so will this only be for the Pre 2? Will Pre+- and Pixi owners be able to benefit from this?
    Last edited by hagster; 11/13/2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: ? in title
  2. #2  
    I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the carrier still needs to approve any software updates (they are pretty strict about that).
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  3. #3  
    it means most of the people buying from palm will be developers.
  4.    #4  
    Remember no UK carrier has or will approve WebOS2.0 for the Pre 2. Remember it will be a different build to the Pre and Pixi versions.

    I think it will end up being a good thing as the WebOS doctor will end up being released sooner direct from Palm. Then we will be able to make Frankndoctors a-plenty
  5. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it means most of the people buying from palm will be developers.
    Maybe they are going for a model like the Greek economy but instead of everyone sellings pizzas to each other, it will be developers sellings apps to each other.

    Sent from my mind using Tapatalk
  6. #6  
    it's just like the google nexxus one. Commercial flop but a sellout to the dev community.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it's just like the google nexxus one. Commercial flop but a sellout to the dev community.
    Agreed. The Pre 2 definitey appears to be a developer phone.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  8. #8  
    I can't wait for the release here to see what happens.
  9. #9  
    It is possible. I read yesterday that all of the Windows Mobile 7 updates are going to be direct to prevent fragmentation.
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    It is possible. I read yesterday that all of the Windows Mobile 7 updates are going to be direct to prevent fragmentation.

    Yes, no, maybe. It turns out that Carriers can block update if they want and it's unclear if that will actually happen.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    So up until now every update to WebOS has gone to the carriers first for testing and approval, but no UK operator carries the Pre 2 so there hardly likely to spend money reviewing the software.

    Does this mean that future updates may come direct from Palm without delay?

    If so will this only be for the Pre 2? Will Pre+- and Pixi owners be able to benefit from this?
    Yes, an update for a sim-free Pre 2 device from Palm will come directly from Palm and will not need to wait for carrier approval (since there is no carrier support involved).

    Unless Pre/Pre+/Pixi/Pixi+ become similarly available sim-free direct from Palm/HP, then it will not change the carrier update approval process for them.

    -- Rod
  12. #12  
    I saw the regular Pre up on the Palm europe store for 289

    maybe we'll be able to get a Palm only branded doctor
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I saw the regular Pre up on the Palm europe store for 289

    maybe we'll be able to get a Palm only branded doctor
    You're right - eurostore.palm.com has the Pre and Pre Plus available in various EU countries sim-free. So we should expect to see carrier-independent webOS 2.0 doctors for those devices in the future sometime.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  14. #14  
    Just dump half a million of that GSM unlocked Pre 2 to HP resellers worldwide & train them on webOS. It will sell. And get rid of that App Catalogue local restriction. We manage without that on the old WinMo & GarnetOS.
  15. #15  
    In France we are not allowed by SFR to access some apps (e.g.: Amazon mp3). Even if I have unlocked my pre + it still runs with the SFR ROM... It would be great to be able to choose a carrier independant webOS doctor once a device is unlocked in order to bypass that stupid limitation.
    Last edited by XPHCTOC; 11/13/2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: typo
  16. #16  
    Amen to that.

    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    Just dump half a million of that GSM unlocked Pre 2 to HP resellers worldwide & train them on webOS. It will sell. And get rid of that App Catalogue local restriction. We manage without that on the old WinMo & GarnetOS.
  17. beez1717's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    #17  
    I hope this means that there are more updates and that they come out faster...
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You're right - eurostore.palm.com has the Pre and Pre Plus available in various EU countries sim-free. So we should expect to see carrier-independent webOS 2.0 doctors for those devices in the future sometime.

    -- Rod
    Couldn't find the Palm Pre Plus Sim-Free ... I know the Palm Pre was offered Sim-Free a couple of month ago.
  19.    #19  
    i think the Pre and Pre Plus can use the same software provided they are both the same radio type.
  20.    #20  
    Firmware Update – webOS 2.0.1 Now Available | webOSroundup

    Looks like I was right. No carrier = faster update turn around times.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions