Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617 LastLast
    re: Verizon backup mgr

That's got to be one of the easiest apps to develop on short notice - doesn't Palm have it's own backup to the cloud service ?
    Quote Originally Posted by badjokes View Post
    i wouldn't be surprised if verizon doesn't sell the pre 2. its a pretty lacking device.

just look at the lg star. the hardware completely and utterly blows the pre 2 out of the water. and that's just one example, there's many more coming in January.

LG Star preview -- Engadget

the pre2 just doesn't make sense, and even worse for such a late offering. if they do sell it, it cant be more then $100 on contract.
    it's comparable to the Droid Pro which is targeting the same market as Palm usually has.

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    re: Verizon backup mgr

That's got to be one of the easiest apps to develop on short notice - doesn't Palm have it's own backup to the cloud service ?
    Yes, but it doesn't backup the entire device.
    I needed a phone asap from vzw, was ready for a new contract, and wanted the pre2. so I go into the vzw store & tell the rep that I want the pixi+ for now to get the pre2 within 30 days (I am/was confident it would be out within 30 days). So the floor guy, instead of checking anything on the floor computers, says he'll be right back, he wants to check stock...he goes into the back and is gone a good 20 min. He comes out with a smirk and says he highly recommends being patient at this point & sends me on my way.

Although I ordered the pixi+ anyway from vzw's online store that night, I thought the interaction was odd. I don't know if he went out back for a smoke, or went in the back and verified floor models, or talked to his mgr about what he could tell me or not, or what. But it was odd needless to say. This was 2 weeks ago though, and no rumors, no word from palm/vzw. I woulda been ****ed if I had waited like he said.
  4. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Maybe they recalled them to send out red ones to the VZW stores in time for Christmas?
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
  5. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    honestly, unless you are person of high rank at a carrier they probably don't know much more then us....
    Yep! I have heard all things from Sprint store employees, everything from Palm going out of business to WebOS is too expensive for developers. I had one guy tell me he gets his "scoops" from underground websites like PreCentral. I finally learned just not to ask them.

If you think about it, it's as ridiculous as asking a Walmart employee what new items they will carry soon.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    If you think about it, it's as ridiculous as asking a Walmart employee what new items they will carry soon.
    This is a brilliant analogy.
    2 weeks isn't 30 days, so you wouldn't be f'd, yet.

Although, I doubt it'll be released in the next 2 weeks, but one never knows. It almost HAS to be released before CES. My thoughts anyway.
    So if palm is pullin the chain on the verizon launch.

It was probley somthing like.

"HAHA, opps my bad I thought you said Verizon..; sprint verizon, there soo easy to mix up."

I bet they saw the uproar of sprint customers and were more like wow not one verizon voice commenting on how happy they were.

I blame the bobs.
    palm isn't pulling the chain on anything, IMHO
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Guy on a flight I was on last week had a "Verizon" Pre 2. He was using it as a hotspot for his iPad, and it clearly said "Verizon" on the mirror behind the slider. He said he got it from his rep, and had no idea that it actually had not been released yet.

And no, it wasn't a Pre Plus. Front was totally flat, which is why I asked the guy how the heck he scored one.
    According to my Verizon Rep, the official launch day is January 16th. She's a pretty trustworthy source, so we'll see how this all pans out, but I'm really excited at the prospect of it.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Maybe he was implying it was going to be more than 30 days until the Pre2 was available, thus the need for patience.

Quote Originally Posted by mykalgrows View Post
    I needed a phone asap from vzw, was ready for a new contract, and wanted the pre2. so I go into the vzw store & tell the rep that I want the pixi+ for now to get the pre2 within 30 days (I am/was confident it would be out within 30 days). So the floor guy, instead of checking anything on the floor computers, says he'll be right back, he wants to check stock...he goes into the back and is gone a good 20 min. He comes out with a smirk and says he highly recommends being patient at this point & sends me on my way.

Although I ordered the pixi+ anyway from vzw's online store that night, I thought the interaction was odd. I don't know if he went out back for a smoke, or went in the back and verified floor models, or talked to his mgr about what he could tell me or not, or what. But it was odd needless to say. This was 2 weeks ago though, and no rumors, no word from palm/vzw. I woulda been ****ed if I had waited like he said.
    I honestly think it's going to be released before, on or a little after CES.
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    I honestly think it's going to be released before, on or a little after CES.
    I think it will be before, on, or after the new year.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    Quit trolling and go buy an Android.
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

Feel free to AIM or SKYPE me.
    I walked in the Verizon store at the mall last night and asked the guy sitting in there about the Pre 2. He was shocked I had a Pre and had never heard of the Pre 2. He had to google Pre 2 and said I really don't see any concrete information.
    mall kiosks are not even part of vzw. Might as well ask the sales person at toys-r-us
    It is true that sales people, even managers, don't really know what's coming just around the corner. But, that's not really the point. What they do know is what they don't know. If they don't know about the Pre 2, they are not ready to sell it.

There were a bunch of rumors about training materials and dummy units showing up in VZ stores. It was a sign of an imminent release. It seems these roomers were greatly exaggerated. Especially if the people responsible for stocking, training, and selling the device have never heard of it. At this point, I would think the average VZ rep is more prepared to sell the iPhone than a P2.

Finally, if the P2 isn't on a US carrier until mid Jan, I hardly see the point of it at all. CES is supposed to be the introduction of a bunch of new phones and formfactors that make the P2 obsolete. It seems that either the window of opportunity has almost closed on this phone, or there will be nothing new for CES. Either way, it's bad news.
    the point of still releasing it is that it wil still be the right phone for certain user types. The Pre2 is perfect for my wife.

vzw said they were coming out with the Pre+ early last november and launched in mid january, so this doesn't sound any different.
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    There are so many conflicting reports in this thread. So, I decided to go to a Verizon store last night. The manager said that he was not a liberty to state when the Pre 2 would be released. He just said that it would be in the first quarter.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    CES is supposed to be the introduction of a bunch of new phones and formfactors that make the P2 obsolete.
    Not at all. The new form factors are to compliment the Pre 2. The Pre size and form factor are perfect for me, so even after the additional form factors are available I think the Pre 2 will still be my choice.