Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    What do you guys think? Is pre-2 DOA. Its more like DBB (Dead before Birth). I thought it would be 99 dollar price point but for 400 pounds? I know its SIM free, how many developers will buy it. Because with that price point that's the only people who would be interested in it. Let me guess maybe 10 developers in total. Most will just pick up pre plus on ebay for 80 dollars.

    So if this phone was for masses, with no carrier subsidization it a fail. If this was for developers with pre plus getting webOS 2.0 this is a fail. This is almost worse than Kin1 and Kin 2.

    What do you guys think?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    This is almost worse than Kin1 and Kin 2.
    For this little part I've written off your entire opinion as worthless. Don't post something like this again; makes you sound like a moron.

    How could you possibly even begin to assume that an unsubsidized smartphone packing this sort of technology would be $99? That's not possible unless it's a Chinese ripoff, if even.
  3. #3  
    I don't consider it DOA...yet.
  4. #4  
    We have yet to see how much Verizon is going to sell it for on contract... or do we know?

    Also, we don't know that that price is for developers...
    And qualified developers will be able to purchase the unlocked Pre 2 at a substantial discount!
    https://developer.palm.com/index.php...rticle&id=2129
  5. #5  
    $99 price point was always going to be through the carriers though where they're making back most of the phone price through the life of the contract. I agree that 400 is expensive but I think part of the problem with the price is that most people are used to buying on contract where most of it is hidden. The iphone 4 by comparison costs 495 when bought pay as you go (off contract) which still locks you into a network. So yes, pricey, probably overpriced for most people but without carrier support I wasn't expecting it to be much lower.

    I don't think this is going to be a phone for the masses, which is a shame and the cost could easily lock out developers unless they offer a reduced price to registered developers.
  6. #6  
    470 euro is too much for a pebble. In my country you can buy unlocked HTC Desire or Galaxy S in that price range.
  7. #7  
    (IMO) I believe the price for a smartphone like the pre 2 should be $150 with your upgrade...and whatever without. Infact, I don't care how much it is ~ if I could get a (CDMA) pre 2-I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
  8. #8  
    the uk unlocked device isn't for developers really. That's why hp will be selling an unlocked unit to developers for a discounted price
  9. #9  
    Umm, those $80 pre pluses are used, a new pre plus here in the us costs $399. Now with the conversion (come out to over $600) it does seem a little on the high side, should be around $399-$499 unsubsidized, but expecting it to be $99 of contract is ridiculous. And while I don't think the pre 2 will be a hit, it should do much better than the 2,000 sold for the kin before it was cancelled.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    What do you guys think? Is pre-2 DOA. Its more like DBB (Dead before Birth). I thought it would be 99 dollar price point but for 400 pounds? I know its SIM free, how many developers will buy it. Because with that price point that's the only people who would be interested in it. Let me guess maybe 10 developers in total. Most will just pick up pre plus on ebay for 80 dollars.

    So if this phone was for masses, with no carrier subsidization it a fail. If this was for developers with pre plus getting webOS 2.0 this is a fail. This is almost worse than Kin1 and Kin 2.

    What do you guys think?
    Ok so the $99 is a sarcasm?

    I don't expect it to be $99 as for the featuers in it, but I expect it to be ~$400

    I never bought anything on contract as all our phones in my country are unlocked. and to my guess according to the featuers in the phone, I would say around $400.

    For 400GBP I could have the HTC Desire Officially unlocked.

    Quote Originally Posted by whodo_voodoo View Post
    $99 price point was always going to be through the carriers though where they're making back most of the phone price through the life of the contract. I agree that 400 is expensive but I think part of the problem with the price is that most people are used to buying on contract where most of it is hidden. The iphone 4 by comparison costs 495 when bought pay as you go (off contract) which still locks you into a network. So yes, pricey, probably overpriced for most people but without carrier support I wasn't expecting it to be much lower.

    I don't think this is going to be a phone for the masses, which is a shame and the cost could easily lock out developers unless they offer a reduced price to registered developers.
    As a customer who didn't buy anything on contract, I would say the price tag is ridicules. I don't think the fact that people are not used to off-contract phones has anything to do with the situation here. It is very expensive. In here, I am evaluating the hardware "AMOLED screen, resolution ... etc".
  11. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    #11  
    In the UK - yes it's DOA. The percentage of people who will spend 400 on a palm branded phone is tiny.
  12. #12  
    400 = $650. An unlocked Pre 2 is going to set people in the UK back $650 which is outrageous due to the lack of a quality screen, or many, many other hardware features found in current devices.

    Of course O2 wants nothing to do with the phone. They'd have to subsidize the price of the phone by $500 with a contract. Ludicrous.

    This makes me wonder if HP/Palm is trying to set the price points similarly with Sprint, and that's why Sprint is hesitant?
  13. #13  
    I think the Pre2 is a chance to recoup the develpment time and effort Palm already invested. The real WebOS push will come next year with the introduction of several new phones, tablets and of course all the other little devices that will use WebOS.

    The Pre2 isnt' some last ditch effort to save WebOS, it's a small bridge to get to nirvana.

    Either way, the Pre 2 is a great phone who cares how many carriers have it or how wide spread it gets. Just be thankful you have an option over big, bulky and clumsy Android phones.

  14. #14  
    it sure won't be a blockbuster.

    palm is now a prt of HP, this can fail without much consequences, if this is Pre2, lets hope palm/hp announce Pre 3 with some real upgrade sooner than later.
  15.    #15  
    Pre-2 for a dollar on SFR, that's what I am talking about.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcjen View Post
    I think the Pre2 is a chance to recoup the develpment time and effort Palm already invested. The real WebOS push will come next year with the introduction of several new phones, tablets and of course all the other little devices that will use WebOS.
    There's a saying about throwing good money after bad...

    How does HP recoup Palm's investment if nobody is going to buy the Pre 2?
  17. PLinger's Avatar
    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    There's a saying about throwing good money after bad...

    How does HP recoup Palm's investment if nobody is going to buy the Pre 2?
    webOS Printers. They've already cornered the iPad printer market apparently
  18. reidme's Avatar
    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    ...What do you guys think?
    __________________
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    I think it's too bad there's not a "No Thanks" button.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    webOS Printers. They've already cornered the iPad printer market apparently

    Yeah, they can recoup their investment by printing money with them...lol.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    What do you guys think? Is pre-2 DOA. Its more like DBB (Dead before Birth). I thought it would be 99 dollar price point but for 400 pounds? I know its SIM free, how many developers will buy it. Because with that price point that's the only people who would be interested in it. Let me guess maybe 10 developers in total. Most will just pick up pre plus on ebay for 80 dollars.

    So if this phone was for masses, with no carrier subsidization it a fail. If this was for developers with pre plus getting webOS 2.0 this is a fail. This is almost worse than Kin1 and Kin 2.

    What do you guys think?
    Hardly DOA.

    Reminder there is no unbranded Pre plus for the NA bands, the one in the UK will only work 2G in NA, so the Pre 2 unbranded will be a more logical choice. Excluding the ebay option would have no warranty and would required not using stock governors to get the same performance on the Pre Plus as it would be on the Pre 2 stock. We users would see that the 80 buck ebay special and tweek it would be sensible but not for devs that need to make their apps with stock conditions.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions