Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #1  
    The original Palm Pre came out with O2 in the UK to great fanfare, so we questioned the network as to why it wasn't on board with the sequel's launch.

    We were told: "We’ve always offered our customers a choice of experiences when they come to buy a new phone and we were excited to add webOS and the Palm Pre to our range. We’re still fans of webOS - the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus are available from us today - but won’t be taking the Palm Pre 2".

    Sounds like a polite way of saying "not interested" if you ask us. Only time will tell to see if other networks come on board.
    PHOTOS: Palm Pre 2 hands on - Pocket-lint

    It looks like unlocked for £399 is the going to be the only way.
  2. #2  
    I guess HP put too high price for Pre2, and European carriers are not interested to invest in WebOS device.
  3. #3  
    I'll be giving o2 a call in the next few days to get more details. I'm not happy with this at all, they shoved the iPhone in my face enough when I got my first Pre that I was irked about their attitude to the Pre. Now this?

    Are any networks in the UK going to be providing the Pre 2 on contract?
  4. akanak's Avatar
    Posts
    177 Posts
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    #4  
    Can't say i'm surprised tbh, they really had/are having a tough time shifting current units and the Pre 2 isn't that different...especially with webOS 2.0 coming to older devices.

    It might also explain why O2 are planning to get the webOS 2.0 update out relatively early.
    Last edited by kanaka; 11/12/2010 at 06:18 AM.
  5. #5  
    It is probably the case of passing on the Pre 2 because it's not much of a step up from Plus and waiting for the new hadware in 2011. Quite understandable. They do point out that the Pre and Pixi Pluses are still available.
  6. #6  
    I imagine that the Pre2 would be a tough sell sitting next to the Pre Plus, especially when the pre plus itself is a tough sell.
  7. #7  
    Yeah I'm not surprised either though I could see them picking it up later as a low end phone once HP/Palm come out with some more stuff, that way they'd have a range of Palm phones to display. If it's going to get any love from O2 customers though they're going to need to stop being so obsessed with the iphone.
  8. #8  
    I can see lots of carriers not taking the pre2 and instead take on the next few phones. Pre2 is a hard sell to most people.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by semprance View Post
    I'll be giving o2 a call in the next few days to get more details. I'm not happy with this at all, they shoved the iPhone in my face enough when I got my first Pre that I was irked about their attitude to the Pre. Now this?

    Are any networks in the UK going to be providing the Pre 2 on contract?
    That is really strange mechanism - carrier pick Pre, than in carrier store reps are not selling it, than carrier drops price to 0 and lose money, Than Palm offer new phone, than carrier say no thanks, it sucks.
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    That is really strange mechanism - carrier pick Pre, than in carrier store reps are not selling it, than carrier drops price to 0 and lose money, Than Palm offer new phone, than carrier say no thanks, it sucks.
    It had it's own dedicated stand, that's more than most phones. We can come up with all sorts of reasons why, but the most obvious is that the British public didn't want to take a punt on a brand they'd never heard of and didn't like the form factor.

    That will also be the more rational reason they aren't carrying this - I guess they gave it another go with the Pre Plus but consider carrying the Pre 2 a case of throwing good money after bad. Now some will claim it's become they must have wind of some amazing phone to be launched at CES but absolutely none of us will know that until CES...

    Also more from Pocket Lint:

    Pocket-lint has spoken with all the major UK mobile phone carriers, asking them whether or not they have any plans to stock the new phone from HP, and all have come back with comments basically saying “no”.

    “We have no plans to stock it at the moment”, a spokesman from Orange told us.

    Three is also following suit: “No, there are no plans to range the Palm Pre 2 at this time.”

    Vodafone, who’s sister company SFR are stocking it exclusively in France aren’t having any of it in the UK. It had a similar statement to give us: “We don’t plan to feature the device in the UK range”.
    UK phone operators turn down Palm Pre 2 - Pocket-lint

    Now again, either these network expect something amazing out of CES or they have a good idea of how many units O2 managed to shift and don't consider it worth the bother (or maybe a mixture of the two).
  11. #11  
    I would say European carriers don't consider it worth the bother and money. Pre 2 (same as Pre- and Pre+) is expensive, and they (carriers) have to pay a good buck to Palm. Maybe US carriers can make much better deal with Palm. I won't be surprised if Pre2 launch on VZ and AT&T is under their turns and not Palm's.
  12. #12  
    I've asked O2 about the Pre 2, but no reply yet.
    http://twitter.com/ChasTee/status/3076366245306368
    If you are on Twitter it might be worth contacting them too ?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  13. #13  
    I had several issues with O2 and my tariff. They sold me the wrong thing. They put me 3 times on the wrong tariff and then they said they can't put me back to my original tariff. So basically they breached the terms and conditions of MY contract. I should have just terminated my DD and cancel my contract. The fact that they won't be selling Pre 2 doesn't surprise me when they seem to be useless in terms of customer services.
  14. #14  
    As a business user I am not at all happy. I have moved over to webOS and now O2 have effectively stopped their (limited) support of the platform and blocked my upgrade path.



    @O2 As I business user I am not happy with your decision to end support of webOS and block my upgrade route. What is your solution? @Palm_UK

    http://twitter.com/#!/tesodosbichos/...75286069792769
    Last edited by Teso Dos Bichos; 11/12/2010 at 02:01 PM.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

    It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
  15. #15  
    another blow to webos. here's hoping 2011 ces sets things right again.
  16. #16  
    Will this mean that Palm is no longer at the mercy of the carriers when they want to roll out a WebOS update?

    Gx

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  17. #17  
    Just give it a month or two and Pre 2's will be sold for 150 quid tops.
  18. #18  
    Correct me if I'm wrong but sim-free and/or carrier-free doesn't mean that it won't work with carrier. It only states that not carrier will sell the phone but the manufacturer.
    After buying sim-free phone, you just go to ANY carrier office you want and buy ANY contract they offer. And you get a fully functional phone.
    Further more. The lesser prices for phones with contracts is just a advertising trick. In fact you overpay the full phone price in subscription fees.
  19. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Compvir View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but sim-free and/or carrier-free doesn't mean that it won't work with carrier. It only states that not carrier will sell the phone but the manufacturer.
    After buying sim-free phone, you just go to ANY carrier office you want and buy ANY contract they offer. And you get a fully functional phone.
    Further more. The lesser prices for phones with contracts is just a advertising trick. In fact you overpay the full phone price in subscription fees.
    This is all true but the fact is that in the UK, the people who buy an unlocked phone that is unsubsidised is a fraction of the overall market. Then of those people, a sizeable percentage don't want a smart-phone. So then you have an even smaller group - and of the percentage who want smart phones, the percentage who want WebOS is tiny (going off sales) as most will pick Symbian, Android, Blackberry and iphone - as they are brands that people have actually heard of.

    So a device sold only by the maker only on their site with no advertising and at a price point that places it directly in competition with higher profile phones on successful platforms. I'd be amazed if they could sell 3000 phones in the UK - maybe even less when you consider that a significant number who might want WebOS will go with 02 and get a Plus so that they don't have an upfront payment of £400...
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This is all true but the fact is that in the UK, the people who buy an unlocked phone that is unsubsidised is a fraction of the overall market. Then of those people, a sizeable percentage don't want a smart-phone. So then you have an even smaller group - and of the percentage who want smart phones, the percentage who want WebOS is tiny (going off sales) as most will pick Symbian, Android, Blackberry and iphone - as they are brands that people have actually heard of.

    So a device sold only by the maker only on their site with no advertising and at a price point that places it directly in competition with higher profile phones on successful platforms. I'd be amazed if they could sell 3000 phones in the UK - maybe even less when you consider that a significant number who might want WebOS will go with 02 and get a Plus so that they don't have an upfront payment of £400...
    I see the point. It is true all the way too. And from Palm's financial point of view it is not very good. But it is awsome for palm fans and faithful customers.

    P.S. I don't know weather it is a site bug or some intention but palm eurostore states Palm Pre 2 as out of stock already (was not a couple of hours ago).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions