1.    #1  
    Alright, so it might sound stupid at first, but hear me out.

Basically there is a "theory" going around that the Palm Pre 2 is being silently shipped and made available unlocked because it is simply a developer device and a device HP is secretly beta testing WebOS 2.0 on before they release the big guns and new devices at CES 2011.

If this is true, than personally I feel like they should have called the phone the Palm Pre Double Plus, and not the Palm Pre 2 for the following reasons:

1) The phone really isnt much of a new version than an upgrade of the Palm Pre Plus already.

2) The Palm Pre 2 automatically gathers way too much attention in the name as the next Palm super device. It makes it sound like Palm and HP really wanted this to be the next big thing and failed.

I think they should have called it the Palm Pre Double Plus, and specifically said in a press release "hey, this isnt the next big Palm super phone, we are just releasing an upgrade because its been forever since the Pre Plus came out, and we want to robustly test WebOS 2.0 and give developers something better to make apps with."

Then at CES 2011 they could have released the next super phone as the Palm Pre 2. Now if they do release the super device in 2 months people will be like "you tried and failed with the Pre 2, yawn."

And they cant call it the Palm Pre 3, thats too soon. And if they call it the Palm Pre 2 Plus, people will just look at it as "ANOTHER spec upgrade??"

So they will have to kill off the Pre name at CES if they want to differentiate a new device. This again will make it look like the Pre 2 failed.

Thoughts?

**EDIT**

Also "double plus" could really tie into the whole "double rainbow" meme. jk.
    palm pre++
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  3. JKM
    "Palm Pre Pro" would have been a good name (one of the rumors used that name).

I wonder if this "next super phone" will be presented at CES, and if it will actually be a WebOS device...
    Pre++ would be good, from a programmer/developer point of view, ++ is usually an increment operator.

Pre Pro would be BAD since Pro is usually associated with WinMo devices

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    I am sure Palm and HP will announce a device maybe a few devices at CES 2011. The Pre 2 is obviously not a device they are pushing since Sprint and O2 (UK) arent picking it up. We will just have to wait a few months for an announcement or for Jackson to have his friend Mr. Blurry Cam to show us some pics.
    3.1-inch multitouch screen with a vibrant 24-bit color, 320x480 resolution HVGA display
    Keyboard

Slide-out physical QWERTY keyboard
    Email2

Microsoft®*Exchange email with Microsoft
    Direct Push Technology
    POP3/IMAP (Yahoo!®*Mail, Gmail™, AOL, Hotmail®, etc.)
    Messaging3

Integrated IM, SMS, and MMS
    GPS4

Built-in GPS
    Digital camera

5-megapixel camera with LED flash, extended depth of field, geotagging, and video capture
    Sensors

Accelerometer, ambient light, and proximity
    Media formats supported

Audio formats: MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, QCELP, WAV
    Video formats: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264
    Wireless connectivity5

Wi-Fi 802.11b/g with WPA, WPA2, WEP, 802.1X authentication;
    Bluetooth®*wireless technology 2.1+ EDR with A2DP stereo Bluetooth support;
    Wi-Fi router functionality for up to five devices using Palm mobile hotspot.5
    Memory

16GB (~15GB user available)6
    USB mass storage support
    Battery life

Verizon Wireless (CDMA)
    Up to 5.5 hours talk time and 350 hours standby time
    Unlocked (UMTS)
    Up to 5 hours talk time and 350 hours standby time
    Connector

Charger/microUSB connector with USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
    Headphone jack

3.5mm stereo
    HP Touchstone Charging Dock7

Compatible
    Palm Pre Touchstone Back Cover included
    Dimensions

Width: 59.6mm (2.35 inches)
    Height: 100.7mm (3.96 inches)
    Thickness: 16.9mm (0.67 inches)
    Weight

145 grams (5.1 ounces)

It's not the best ~ but a whole lot better than the Palm pre and Palm pre plus.
    its pretty much the same on pre/pre+

exactly the reason why Pre 2 is a glass covered Pre+, for those who already have a pre/pre+, this is a 5% upgrade and makes absolutely no sense especially if its tied to a new contract.
    but it would be a nice upgrade for those of us on sprint with og pres, not only twice the ram, bit it's faster ram too, like srt ram ok that was the coffee talking
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    but it would be a nice upgrade for those of us on sprint with og pres, not only twice the ram, bit it's faster ram too, like srt ram ok that was the coffee talking
    +1 I agree!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Not really, if this thing asks a new contract, and palm/HP is to announce Pre 3 at CES and ship it in June, you won't be able to get it until end of 2011, 6 months late.

If palm/HP has no pre3 or high end smartphone announcement at CES, well, they may just forget about smartphone market then.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Yes, the "next gen" devices will probably be here soon enough.
    But I'm betting it won't be/look like a Pre.
    So if the form factor is important to you, the Pre2 might not be such a bad choice.
    In my case, a Pre2 + a PalmPad would be great combo that fit my needs perfectly, rather than a super fast super big candy bar phone.
    But who knows exactly what they will release, there might be a device form factor for every taste (ideal scenario). Fingers crossed!
    ++ would be a strange name.

I think Palm and HP is copying the iphone revision history. But its not a smart plan because:
    1. palm/hp doesn't have nearly as many followers as apple.
    2. iphone has a head start in the field, and the competitions iphone2 was facing are vastly different than pre2 will be put against.

Palm/HP need to understand this is a okay, but ultimately losing causes, and focus on putting Pre 3 out by June, preferably, with high resolution screen, front camera, more app selections in the important categories such as browsers etc.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 11/14/2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Language
    No, I definitely not think HP is after Apple's strategic plan.

Palm, before the HP buyout was literally inside a coffin and waiting for the final shot. They didn't have the money to produce a state-of-the-art device, and so developed the pre2 (the one we all know) in order to give webOS another chance.

After HP got involved, they could easily enhance the pre2 - add a bigger/better screen perhaps, more advanced optics in the camera and so... But i think they decided that it was better to build a new phone from the beginning rather than rushing a just refreshed device, whose factor proved it wasn't so famous after all.

So, pre2 got official just for palm/webOS not to be forgotten. I don't think total silence for over 3 months would do any good to the platform anyway. And when the time is right (I'm looking at you, CES) new devices (not only cellphones), more advanced will appear.
    I think they should have save the name Pre 2 for something more exciting. But i've got a feeling they're gonna come with a new form factor with an entirely new name.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    I agree but you missed out a lot.

The Pre 2 is double almost everything than the (Stock, stfu about overclock it doesnt matter not everyones a nerd) Pre.

Double the Processor speed (your a geek stfu about overclock before you even mention it)
    Double the Ram
    Double the Storage Capacity
    (Almost) Double the Camera quality

Its ironic because to me, the Pre 2 ONLY made sense to come out on Sprint.
    I hope that they never use the word "Pre" again.

Walk up to any rep at Best Buy and say "PRE" just to watch their face.

When you set a record for return rates, you don't ever use that name again.

- Craig