Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
  1. pibrahim's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
       #1  
    Just saw this:

    Palm UK and Spain Selling SIM-Free Pre Directly | webOSroundup

    Says that the Palm Pre (original) has just appeared on HP's site for 289. Surely this can't be for the original Pre - expansys have that for 199 now. Is this the Palm Pre 2 perhaps and just laziness on HP's part? I can't believe the original Pre could be 289...
    Last edited by pibrahim; 11/11/2010 at 05:21 PM.
  2. #2  
    here is e Pre 2 video...



    on the details says..
    399 and available 15/11....

    too much....
  3. pibrahim's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
       #3  
    If it's 399 then I'm out the running - I can get the Dell Venue Pro (Windows 7) for 440 and there just isn't really any comparison with their respective hardware. I really hope Palm/HP price this sensibly, bearing in mind its limitations when compared with the top end of the market.
  4. #4  
    Expensive than expected.
  5. #5  
    Those prices are for no contract? I am expecting a price of $100 or less with a 2-year contract and rebate. No way am I paying $400 for a cell phone. Or or credits or whatever. : )
    Sharp YO-370 -> HP 200LX -> Palm m125 -> Palm Treo 680 -> Pre 2

    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein
  6. #6  
    I think the price is adequate. You all complaining about 400$ what are you paying a month?
    I pay 10€ = 13$ for data flat (limited after 300MByte to 2G).
    Now take your price and multiply it by 24 (2-year contract).
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    I think the price is adequate. You all complaining about 400$ what are you paying a month?
    I pay 10 = 13$ for data flat (limited after 300MByte to 2G).
    Now take your price and multiply it by 24 (2-year contract).
    Indeed - it's amazing how US carriers have trained their customers to focus on subsidised handset prices and ignore the total cost of the contract.

    -- Rod
  8. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Indeed - it's amazing how US carriers have trained their customers to focus on subsidised handset prices and ignore the total cost of the contract.

    -- Rod
    Sure but the problem in the UK is that comparing the unsubsidised prices, the Palm Pre 2 is way out of whack, it's la la land pricing. moreover, the unsubsidised price is a good reflection of the sort of contract you'd have to sign for a subsidised device. If this is not meant to be the flagship device, I dread to think what dream world pricing that device will attract.
  9. #9  
    Maybe it is just me, as I never take a device at its immediate release. Maybe that is why I see $644 or 399 expensive. I never bought a mobile by contract just to make that clear.

    I am going to wait for a month let's all the usage problems and the price hopefully will drop.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Indeed - it's amazing how US carriers have trained their customers to focus on subsidised handset prices and ignore the total cost of the contract.

    -- Rod
    Yeah but, the total contract cost is going to be the same whether I get a free Pixi or a $400 TurboDroid++ (assuming, of course, same carrier and data plan for both). I can not put out $400 for a phone right now. I can do $100 or $150. I'm poor. And I don't have to pay the total contract price at one time; it's spread out over 2 years.
    Sharp YO-370 -> HP 200LX -> Palm m125 -> Palm Treo 680 -> Pre 2

    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Sure but the problem in the UK is that comparing the unsubsidised prices, the Palm Pre 2 is way out of whack, it's la la land pricing. moreover, the unsubsidised price is a good reflection of the sort of contract you'd have to sign for a subsidised device. If this is not meant to be the flagship device, I dread to think what dream world pricing that device will attract.
    I believe it's cheaper than the iPhone 4 unsubsidized price, as it should be since it doesn't have some of the hardware features of the iPhone 4. So I'm not sure it's la la land pricing. I'll have to look up the reference.

    Edit: iPhone 4 unlocked 16GB is 499. Here's a link: http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/hom.../family/iphone
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  12. #12  
    Think its on par with other competitors.
  13. #13  
    It's at least 100EUR overpriced! I too never bought phone under contract, but in that price range you can buy in my country HTC Desire, Nokia C7 (for less money) and Galaxy S and N8 for (40E+), all unlocked as well.
  14. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I believe it's cheaper than the iPhone 4 unsubsidized price, as it should be since it doesn't have some of the hardware features of the iPhone 4. So I'm not sure it's la la land pricing. I'll have to look up the reference.

    Edit: iPhone 4 unlocked 16GB is 499. Here's a link: iPhone 4 & iPhone 3GS - Apple Store (UK)
    Price isn't simply a representation of hardware components, it's also represents brand value - and Palm has no brand value in the UK, it's not a premium brand and people aren't going to pay a premium price.
  15. #15  
    There is a Pre 2 on eBay for 489 pounds, and I really want to buy it, but is it a reasonable price? And also, does it record in HD? By the way, I live in Australia, so buying it from Palm themselves is a bit difficult.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Price isn't simply a representation of hardware components, it's also represents brand value - and Palm has no brand value in the UK, it's not a premium brand and people aren't going to pay a premium price.
    Right. HP/Palm must establish itself on some markets and reestablish itself on other - like US market, before premium pricing.
    I really love WebOS, and I'm very fond of Palm, but I cant justify Pre2 purchase, when so many other and more attractive stuff is offered in that price range.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    There is a Pre 2 on eBay for 489 pounds, and I really want to buy it, but is it a reasonable price? And also, does it record in HD? By the way, I live in Australia, so buying it from Palm themselves is a bit difficult.
    Be aware that if you activate it in Australia, you will never be able to buy apps on it. If it is activated in the UK, you will need an EU credit card to buy apps. If it activated in the US, you will need a US credit card (e.g. www.simon.com is what I use from Australia) to buy apps.

    -- Rod
  18. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Be aware that if you activate it in Australia, you will never be able to buy apps on it. If it is activated in the UK, you will need an EU credit card to buy apps. If it activated in the US, you will need a US credit card (e.g. Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards is what I use from Australia) to buy apps.

    -- Rod
    That's interesting, I didn't know that - I'm right in thinking that android phones don't care where you activate them and you can buy apps anywhere?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That's interesting, I didn't know that - I'm right in thinking that android phones don't care where you activate them and you can buy apps anywhere?
    No, they have geo-restrictions too. But less than Palm.

    -- Rod
  20. #20  
    Well, I do know that, but I do think that after CES, they may open the app catalog in Aus, but I'd be fine with free and home brew apps and my iPad and iPod touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions