Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    Well, I do know that, but I do think that after CES, they may open the app catalog in Aus, but I'd be fine with free and home brew apps and my iPad and iPod touch
    On what basis do you make the assumption that it will change after CES?

    -- Rod
  2. #22  
    I know that unless palm has a contract with that country, no paid apps for you, so, once again, where do you assume palm has contracts with other countries unannounced?
  3. #23  
    Well, I presume that with their 'super phones' coming our after then, some Australian carriers may be interested and then therefore, the app store may open in Australia. Even if I do get it activate it in the UK though, I don't have an English credit card, so getting paid apps would still be difficult. HP were giving out Webos app gift cards, can we buy them from anywhere though? Also, I talked with a palm employee a few months ago and he said that Palm phones would be out soon in the Asia/Pacific area.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    Well, I presume that with their 'super phones' coming our after then, some Australian carriers may be interested and then therefore, the app store may open in Australia. Even if I do get it activate it in the UK though, I don't have an English credit card, so getting paid apps would still be difficult. HP were giving out Webos app gift cards, can we buy them from anywhere though? Also, I talked with a palm employee a few months ago and he said that Palm phones would be out soon in the Asia/Pacific area.
    Here's what I do:

    1) Buy a sim-free EU phone. Do not get it activated.
    2) Ship it to someone in the US.
    3) They activate it on an AT&T prepaid card.
    4) They ship it to Australia. I use whatever carrier I choose.
    5) I paypal them some money.
    6) They buy me a Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards Visa debit gift card.
    7) I use that card to purchase apps from the US app catalog in Australia.

    This procedure works. Most other things don't.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5. #25  
    God, that sounds complicated, there is a used Pre plus on eBay that has been activated in the US. Would that be a suitable purchase to replace my Treo Pro, or should I get a new Tissot watch instead?
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    God, that sounds complicated, there is a used Pre plus on eBay that has been activated in the US. Would that be a suitable purchase to replace my Treo Pro, or should I get a new Tissot watch instead?
    It's no good to you unless it's also unlocked. And then you would only be able to get 3G data on the Telstra NextG network, cause the US and NextG use different frequencies from the rest of the world (and the other carriers in Australia).

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7. #27  
    Yeah, its unlocked and was an AT&T phone, so it should run fine on the next g network, but I'd really like a pre 2 not a plus. by the way, does the Pre 2 run on the next G/AT&T band?
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    Yeah, its unlocked and was an AT&T phone, so it should run fine on the next g network, but I'd really like a pre 2 not a plus. by the way, does the Pre 2 run on the next G/AT&T band?
    The sim-free UK Pre 2 does not.

    There is meant to be an unlocked US Pre 2 announced in the coming months. It should.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  9. #29  
    So, should I wait for that, get a plus, get the 'super phone' or get something not palm?
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    So, should I wait for that, get a plus, get the 'super phone' or get something not palm?
    That's something only you can decide. You have all the facts now for the situation as it stands today.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  11. #31  
    i have seen alot of forum posts about this and all i can say is, its your money, its your choice.
  12. #32  
    Well, for now I've bought myself a nice new watch to keep myself interested, and waiting for American pre 2s to be on eBay unless if I find the nokia n8 to exceed my low expectations (the camera looks astonishing).
  13. #33  
    Back to pricing, the developer phone is just $449 which is fairly cheap, but does anyone like the Motorola Aura here?
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    Back to pricing, the developer phone is just $449 which is fairly cheap, but does anyone like the Motorola Aura here?
    Developers get a $200 price cut off the $449.
  15. #35  
    Germany: 499,- Euro
    UK: 470,- Euro
    France: 409,- Euro
    US: 325,- Euro

    some differences, or?
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Developers get a $200 price cut off the $449.
    And what do you have to do to qualify as a "developer"?
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    And what do you have to do to qualify as a "developer"?
    First of all, join the developer program at developer.palm.com

    After that iI don't know if you'll need an app on the catalog or they'll let anyone use the discount :S

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

    Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  18. #38  
    A friend wrote an app for the iPhone that I'd like to try to port over to the Pre, I don't have anything in my "resume". I don't even know if I can do it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions