Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Correct me if I am wrong. With the Palm Pre 2 comes WebOS 2.0. With WebOS 2.0 comes new APIs for developers. Specifically for the Mic and Camera. With these new APIs, what can we expect to see come to our phones. Voice apps? Features to make the camera a bit more fun to use? Anyone know specifically what this opens up and the possibilities it can bring?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong. With the Palm Pre 2 comes WebOS 2.0. With WebOS 2.0 comes new APIs for developers. Specifically for the Mic and Camera. With these new APIs, what can we expect to see come to our phones. Voice apps? Features to make the camera a bit more fun to use? Anyone know specifically what this opens up and the possibilities it can bring?
    I don't think those API's have been announced/released yet. Someone, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I don't think those API's have been announced/released yet. Someone, correct me if I'm wrong.
    No your correct. For some reason the webos 2.0 sdk is still in a closed beta. I'm guessing that those apis will be announced next friday at dev day.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Well the announcement was that they will be released in the fall. 2.0 is coming in the fall so its not far fetched to say that they will come with 2.0. My question though, aside from when it is coming, is what we can expect developers to use these for? Im hoping we get some cool stuff.
  5.    #5  
    Again, I know nothing has been officially announced to the public. Im just asking in speculation. What are the possibilities. Like voice dialing, speech to text? Stuff like that. What can these be used for?
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    No your correct. For some reason the webos 2.0 sdk is still in a closed beta. I'm guessing that those apis will be announced next friday at dev day.
    Actually, I just confirmed that they are not. I forgot I still have access to the early access program (even though I don't develop for webOS anymore).
    If mic API's become available, I would hope to see a real guitar tuner.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    If mic API's become available, I would hope to see a real guitar tuner.
    That would be cool. I've been looking at Android phones and as much as I dont like the OS, it has some cool voice features. I want a speech to text feature. Its safer than trying to type while driving. lol
    ......What can these be used for?
    Shazam, voice memos, voice recorder, ambient noise level meter ("dB" meter), digital ocarina.
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    digital ocarina.
    ha! my man.
    I'm not entirely sure but would that violate any sort of NDA's even if they were out? At least until the unveilling of 2.0?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I'm not entirely sure but would that violate any sort of NDA's even if they were out? At least until the unveilling of 2.0?
    Im just asking in speculation. We know they are coming. Just curious what people think it will bring to WebOS.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Im just asking in speculation. We know they are coming. Just curious what people think it will bring to WebOS.
    WebOS needs to bring everything that the other operating systems are bringing or people will migrate.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    really the new api's with 2.0 is one of the only reasons I'm holding out from changing devices or abandoning the OS all together. WebOS is by far my favorite OS but if they don't show some basic functionality soon or devices I don't know what to do. I'm on sprint and can stop anytime cause I'm on an employee plan and jump to verizon which my wife is on for basically the same price. Can't wait for some announcements.
    I don't think the NDA applies anymore. WebOS 2.0 is publicly available. It would be ridiculous if we aren't allowed to talk about it... lol
    no I understand that but there are still things under NDA at this time. One thing to speculate about things and another to disclose actual facts about something not yet released. I'm not trying to be the "fun"cop at all.
    no I understand that but there are still things under NDA at this time. One thing to speculate about things and another to disclose actual facts about something not yet released. I'm not trying to be the "fun"cop at all.
    Yea I know lol.

Since 2.0 is available for public download, we should be able to talk about everything that relates to it.
    what do you mean camera and mic apis are not availlable???

why the f---? Not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Yea I know lol.

Since 2.0 is available for public download, we should be able to talk about everything that relates to it.
    Sledge is right here, all those in the early access programme are still under NDA about the sdk 2.0, I had this confirmed by webosdev.
    So if barkerj does have access to the sdk and has confirmed anything in or not in it then he/she has broken NDA.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Sledge is right here, all those in the early access programme are still under NDA about the sdk 2.0, I had this confirmed by webosdev.
    So if barkerj does have access to the sdk and has confirmed anything in or not in it then he/she has broken NDA.
    You are correct. Everyone who has access to the 2.0 SDK is under NDA and cannot talk about the 2.0 SDK or APIs except in the private forum. I'm going to be posting a link to this thread in the private forums and hopefully Palm will remove this person from the early access program.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast