1.    #1  
    OK, my question is 2 fold. Long story short, I have moved to an area which doesn't service Sprint. I've been roaming for a few months now and didn't want to give up my pre or Sprint. Iwireless (a Tmobile affiliate) has told me that I can activate an unlocked device on their network which is why this unlocked pre 2 (when it comes out) would be good for me. My question is, can I activate my current Palm profile with a new pre2 on a new network? My second question, is what I'm going to try to do even possible or have I been mislead by the Iwireless associates? Iwireless has one of the best plans out there that I've seen and it's even cheaper than Sprint with similiar specs, 79.99 unlimited Talk, text, web, unlimited mobile to mobile, 5pm n&w, free roaming etc. Thanks in advance.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Palm profile is yours has nothing to do with the carrier. I moved from att to verizon with the same profile.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Note that the current setup (I don't know if it is changing with webOS or the Pre2) is that you must activate the unlocked device on an "official carrier" (i.e. current provider) in order to access the App Catalog.

This is pretty bad considering the Pre2 will be sold direct by HP US and HP UK unlocked, so they have probably changed the implementation, but there's no way to know.

ALSO, if iwireless is T-Mobile, then you would be 2G only, since T-Mobile is AWS and the unlocked US device will most likely be UMTS (AT&T, more popular) for 3G. HP would be smart to have the Pre2 be penta-band (works on AWS and UMTS).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Not even. As far as "the community" is aware, being in one of the official launch countries is all it takes.
    It was confirmed on the Palm Developer Forums that it is based on carrier, not country.

At least in some countries.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Well, they're wrong! lol
    tell that to rod!!
    Well, they're wrong! lol
    The post I referenced was from Ben, where he said that there are a lot of things to take into consideration and that carrier is one of them.

He didn't say if this is for just some countries (maybe it only affects all but Germany since their Pre was unlocked in the beginning), but I am not certain.

The post I referenced is Forums webOS • View topic - Phone activation method can prevent pdk and app store usage
    Arthur Thornton

One of the confusions in this area comes from inappropriate simplification of the system.

There is a device record for each device that Palm knows about.

It is created the first time that you create or log into a Palm profile from that device. Once it is created, it can never be changed.

There is a palm profile which is separate from the device record.

A device record is mapped to a single palm profile at any one time, and can move between profiles.

A profile can have multiple device records mapped to it, but only one is active at a time (the most recent log in), and you will be forcibly logged out of palm profile on all other devices that are mapped to it.

Profiles contain the apps you have bought.

Device records determine which app catalogue you can access.

Device records have a one-time irrevocable determination of app catalogue access eligibility at the point at which they are first created.

The algorithm for determination of that eligibility depends on some combination of country, carrier, device identifier, and the age of your sister's boyfriend's dog.

There is no constraint on mapping device records to Palm profiles.

Also note that no-one from Palm will be authorised to tell you the real details of the determination algorithm. They will give you the party line that Palm only supports devices on the supported carriers. And Palm can change the determination algorithm at any time without needing to notify us.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 11/10/2010 at 10:27 PM.