1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Just a small FYI.

Palm Pre 2 hits UK 12 November - Pocket-lint

Any confirmations. I couldn't find any sources except that one.

Enjoy,
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think Pocketlint is a pretty solid site and they state that they directly spoke to HP, so the date should be good.
    I hope the 'plan' with the Palm Pre 2 was that HP and Palm wanted it to be a 'developer device' to get developers to write good apps on 2.0 for the upcoming new hardware, hence the 'intentional' unlocked versions.

Not that no carriers want the phone, and thus they were forced to just offer it unlocked.

Because the last option is kinda sad...

out of every carrier, 3 (SFR, Verizon and Rogers) want your device...

I hope this was the plan.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I hope the 'plan' with the Palm Pre 2 was that HP and Palm wanted it to be a 'developer device' to get developers to write good apps on 2.0 for the upcoming new hardware, hence the 'intentional' unlocked versions.

Not that no carriers want the phone, and thus they were forced to just offer it unlocked.

Because the last option is kinda sad...

out of every carrier, 3 (SFR, Verizon and Rogers) want your device...

I hope this was the plan.
    To me, I am with the selling of the phone unlocked. As I am living in a neglected area in terms of Palm Pre's lunching, I would like to buy the phone unlocked online with no hassle.

Locking the device will hinder its worldwide spread IMHO.
    But what about the app catalog for unlocked devices?
    If you activate your device on an "unofficial" network, which catalog will you have access to ?
    I have a feeling that HP might tweak their catalog to offer the apps worldwide....expanding their audience...and potentially increasing the number of developers who might be interested in a wider market.
    The question now is whether unlocked will means it is only sold directly through HP / Palm or whether phone shops will be able to pick it up and sell on any network the customer wants. If it's only via HP / Palm then it just won't sell apart from to those who already know about Palm and webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
    I have a feeling that HP might tweak their catalog to offer the apps worldwide....expanding their audience...and potentially increasing the number of developers who might be interested in a wider market.
    They MUST do this - geo-restricting their App Catalog missing out on a huge global market is suicidal madness.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by urig View Post
    If you activate your device on an "unofficial" network, which catalog will you have access to ?
    I've done exactly this with an unlocked German Pre - activated on 3 UK and used on Virgin Mobile UK - I get the full UK Catalogue (currently showing 3758 apps available for purchase or download).
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by urig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
    I think it is about time to open the App Catalog. It is kinda dumb keeping it strict to some areas ...

Why keeping it apart? I don't get that anyways? It is just an App Catalog.
    I don't mind a little bit of geo restriction, in fact I welcome it. I don't think a subway app in some exotic location is too useful to me when I'm in Canada.

However I'm just not a fan of how they are doing it right now, via first activation country and it's locked forever. Even Palm support doesn't know how to switch a region. There should be an easy way to do so.

Or leave it open, just allow me to filter it out myself.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I don't mind a little bit of geo restriction, in fact I welcome it. I don't think a subway app in some exotic location is too useful to me when I'm in Canada.

However I'm just not a fan of how they are doing it right now, via first activation country and it's locked forever. Even Palm support doesn't know how to switch a region. There should be an easy way to do so.

Or leave it open, just allow me to filter it out myself.
    I think you are talking about filtering which is different then geo-striction.

Filtering the apps by location or language by default is acceptable; restricting it to location and language is not, on the other side.

Some apps are too common to be filtered :S, games for example.