Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Is it tied to the Verizon Pre2?
    It's a GSM model so not reasonable.

Is HP/Palm prepping for a big launch?
    Not if it'll only be available from a website and cost consumers $300+

Is the hardware not ready?
    A GSM Pre2 is already on sale (albeit carrier-locked in France with a different keyboard lettering).

Is there a strategic benefit to releasing it later rather than sooner?
    Interested developers will have heard the CES rumors and might defer purchasing decisions the later a Pre2 is released.

I do not understand why HP/Palm is rushing this into developer's hands (and other Palm fans) already. What's the hold up?

Edit: Topic should read "unlocked" not "unclocked" ...
    Last edited by Linger; 11/09/2010 at 01:13 PM.
    Are you asking why the Pre-2 (GSM) is not showing up on the Palm website? Could be because your IP identifies you as being in the US. If you were to go to the UK or French website, you might have your answer.
    There are a lot of other questions surrounding the Pre 2 that haven't been addressed. Every tech blog that did a hands-on with the phone called their test units "pre-production hardware" -- despite the phone going on sale in France a few days later.

There is no sign of webOS 2.0 outside of France. What's the status of the software? Has it gone gold? Is Palm shipping beta software in France?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    "pre-production hardware"
    Why don't they say Pre-2 production hardware? Not pre pre-production hardware, or pre pre-2 production hardware. Maybe we've been reading too much into this.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neutron View Post
    Are you asking why the Pre-2 (GSM) is not showing up on the Palm website? Could be because your IP identifies you as being in the US. If you were to go to the UK or French website, you might have your answer.
    Yes, I'm in the US. HP/Palm has already given out 'preview' units to US media, I presume, hence why Precentral has one. I'm not sure why Europe is getting the devices first. Maybe HP/Palm has already started giving them out to select developers?
    <<fixed thread title>>
    To the OP...keep refreshing this page.

If you don't even have the patience to read that, the gist is according to Palm: "We will be announcing more details of the program as well as device availability shortly. Stay tuned!"

So in other words...coming soon, like everything else regarding this platform. Just keep waiting, guys! Wait...guys? Guys? Hello?
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    <<fixed thread title>>
    Thanks.

So any plausible theories on when this is coming or what Palm is waiting for? With the Verizon Pre2 (Not that I'd ever buy a phone from Verizon) you know that the deadline is Thanksgiving weekend or the launch will likely be scrapped. With a direct-sale phone for developers I have no idea how to guess at the timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    To the OP...keep refreshing this page.

If you don't even have the patience to read that, the gist is according to Palm: "We will be announcing more details of the program as well as device availability shortly. Stay tuned!"

So in other words...coming soon, like everything else regarding this platform. Just keep waiting, guys! Wait...guys? Guys? Hello?
    Oh good, a link to check... Wait, developers can get a cheap ATT Pixi on ebay and sign up for the webOS beta, right? Are they even waiting for the Pre2?
    Hey...if there is one thing developers want to do more than working on code and making money, it's refreshing a page to find out when they can drop several hundred for midrange hardware to develop for a currently stagnant platform that is on pace to get lapped in apps by Windows Phone 7 in about 1/10th of the time.
    I dont know why the unlocked version of pre-2 cant be made available before Verizon pre-2. H/P is just shooting themselves in foot with this release. A 6 month outdated hardware that they are having such a hard time releasing.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    It seems that Palms reaction to telling people about things and then having to go back on them (release date of flash, release date of 1.4.5) is to just not tell anyone anything at all.

So rather than solve the cause of the problem (smarten up and release things on time) they just pretend like they intended that release date all along.

Personally I am sick of Palm playing so nice with people.

They should have sued the pants off Adobe if it was the case that Adobe delayed flash to Palm,
    they should have sued the pants off Verizon for their failed release of the Pre, for crippling its GPS, and taking forever to release 1.4.5.

By playing nice Palm, you are screwing over your loyal customers.