1.    #1  
    With the improved camera on the Pre 2, is it likely that we will see development of a good barcode scanner app?
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    With the improved camera on the Pre 2, is it likely that we will see development of a good barcode scanner app?
    Depends on a lot of things. Camera API, type of lens, will it be able to scan at all. Will the scans be clear without the auto focus. All things we need to see once a workable camera API comes out.
    I don't see how the camera could possibly work with barcodes if it's fixed focus.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    That would be awesome, but the camera has fix focus.. Ugh!
    yea... needs an autofocus
    I've read more than 1 post stating that lack of autofocus is not the issue, lack of camera API is. Therefore, we could possibly get a barcode scanner on the old Pres with the older cameras.
  7. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    the problem is not autofocus, it focal length, currently, the pre needs an object to be a number of feet away to focus properly. At that length, most normal size barcodes will be to small to be correctly analyzed. I haven't heard anything about the focal length of the pre 2, but if it is closer, it should work fine (that is with the camera API of course). My old ppc 6700 solved this with having a manual macro switch, but that was not a very elegant solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    the problem is not autofocus, it focal length, currently, the pre needs an object to be a number of feet away to focus properly. At that length, most normal size barcodes will be to small to be correctly analyzed. I haven't heard anything about the focal length of the pre 2, but if it is closer, it should work fine (that is with the camera API of course). My old ppc 6700 solved this with having a manual macro switch, but that was not a very elegant solution.
    Would it not be possible to do some "post processing": Take a picture of the barcode at the closest distance possible (in focus). The software then crops all but the barcode. A 5 MP camera could have enough resolution to still get a readable barcode after the cropping/zooming.

I suppose the software would have to know where the barcode is? So the picture would have to be taken with the barcode in the exact center? Or can the software pick out the barcode pattern anywhere in the picture and then "zoom" in?
    Sharp YO-370 -> HP 200LX -> Palm m125 -> Palm Treo 680 -> Pre 2

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Doesn't the iPhone barcode apps know where the barcode is?
  10.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by abid786 View Post
    Doesn't the iPhone barcode apps know where the barcode is?
    On my friend's Droid X, you don't even take a picture. You just hold the phone over the barcode and it automatically scans it.

This isn't a big deal to me. It's handy I suppose (and neat), but I do enough research before I make any significant purchase that I don't need to do any last minute price checking in the store. For small purchases, I'm not going to drive across town to save $2 or $3.

I know apps are super important to some people though.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    ^ +1
    Dan
    I was in walmart browsing their bluetooth stuff and one of the employees came up to me and showed me the vibrant cell phone. It was thinner than the pre (also bigger/wider) but he showed me the barcode scanner. I was so jealous. I also like the swipe for the on screen keyboard, tho I prefer a physical keyboard. I hope the new HPalm "super device" gives us the ability for a barcode scanner.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I've had decent luck with QR codes using QR deCODEr. There's a bit of a "sweet spot" you have to hit for the program to be able to read the code, but if you manage to hit that the program will read the code pretty consistently. I played with it a little the other day when I noticed Best Buy has started putting QR codes on the shelf tags for some of the more high end items. The only catch is that it needs internet access to send it to a server for processing, and it can be slow if you don't have a wifi connection at the time.

(FYI, the "sweet spot" seems to be where the edges of the code are just inside the little circle in the center of the screen when you take the picture.)

There's another program that's supposed to do regular barcodes, but I haven't been able to get that to read anything taken with the pre's camera yet.
    Cool, thanks! I forgot I had that app. I'll have to go to Best Buy and try it out.
    Long Live Palm
    QR deCODEr has worked pretty well for me so far, even on my pixi. I just used it the other day on a store's catalog/mailer. I had to turn the flash off, but it worked every time.