Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Windows Mobile 7 is not a joke. It's getting a lot of very good reviews, generating a lot of publicity, and it's launching on a lot of really good hardware.
    Android 2.2 (Froyo) on an top tier device is "the" combination to have right now. Already devices like the Droid 2 are being released with specs that match up to requirements set for Gingerbread.
    iOS 4 has a huge following of users, some 6x larger than webOS, and it's coming to Verizon.
    Blackberry is working hard to catch up in the marketplace, and with the largest client base of any of the smart phone users, it has some time to make necessary changes before it fades out. Especially with it's firm grasp on enterprise users.
    Wow. That's a fantastic paragraph. It really illustrates the bigtime moves each legitimate player has made over the past year. It also highlights just how suffocating of a market HP may or may not be diving into.
    The Droid Eris will never receive Froyo or above.

The HTC EVO, HTC DROID Incredible, HTC G2, Samsung Epic 4G, Motorola DROID, and Motorola DROID X will never receive Gingerbread without jailbreaking and manually installing it.

I guess there is expected to be some legacy Android 2.x version support ongoing, but based on what I've seen from Google and their phone partners, I expect it to be VERY limited.

Gingerbread requirements:
    1Ghz+ Processor
    3.5"+ Screen Size
    4.0"+ Screens 1280x760 minimum screen resolution (essentially 720p)
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Wow. That's a fantastic paragraph. It really illustrates the bigtime moves each legitimate player has made over the past year. It also highlights just how suffocating of a market HP may or may not be diving into.
    Thanks nappy. I've mostly been a lurker, and I'm not as technically astute as a lot of the users here, but it's crunch time now and I believe webOS users need to get vocal.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Windows Mobile 7 is not a joke.
    I saw a wall of text and got dizzy sorry... but this was all I was able to make out. Personally I think Windows Mobile 7 is very ugly and disorganized. I get what they were trying to do but as for me I will pass...

But I do agree... WebOS has some ground to make up...
    Last edited by H Cubed; 11/08/2010 at 05:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    The guy at the Verizon store told me the Pre 2 would be on sale November 18th. No guarantees he's right, but hey, it sounds realistic.
    Last edited by legos; 11/08/2010 at 05:30 PM.

The HTC EVO, HTC DROID Incredible, HTC G2, Samsung Epic 4G, Motorola DROID, and Motorola DROID X will never receive Gingerbread without jailbreaking and manually installing it.

I guess there is expected to be some legacy Android 2.x version support ongoing, but based on what I've seen from Google and their phone partners, I expect it to be VERY limited.

1Ghz+ Processor
    3.5"+ Screen Size

And this is exactly why I will be switching over to the Pre2 as soon as possible. I currently have the incredible, and it is an amazing device. I love android and have supported it from day one on the G1, but having to buy a new device just to utilize the newest os is utter BS. I know that technology advances, and with it the device hardware must as well, but the incredible, droid x, and droid 2 are top of the line devices right now. No reason they should not be able to be upgraded to gingerbread. Even iOS 4 is able to run on previous generation devices, webos2 will run on the pre-. It just really frustrates me to no end. WebOS even had support for the original (classic) palm software. It seems to me that Palm / WebOS is the only platform out there that even remotely considers its users when developing / maintaining operating systems. Just my opinion.

1Ghz+ Processor
    3.5"+ Screen Size
    google has never come out and said those are the minimum requirements for gingerbread.
    And seeing how its coming soon to the nexus one would further serve to debunk that.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/08/o...s-gingerbread/
    Last edited by m3grady2; 11/08/2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: The truth shall set you free.
  8. AZ8
    HP better be careful, otherwise this will be the theme song for webOS and its users!

9.    #69  
    ummm...point of my original post was about vzw. How did this turn into an onslaught again hp palm?

I'm sure the pre 2 is ready to go for vzw. I'm sure vzw is holding something up, nitpicking here and there, debating what features to include (gps? Free mobile hot spot? Nfl app? Vcast? Etc).

so back to my original complaint/concern...

is vzw being vzw again with palm?
    I sure hope it comes out this week, I am really waiting on this one.
    its real close to being released !! i promise !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    I hate to be an ***, but how exactly do you know this?
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    I hate to be an ***, but how exactly do you know this?
    And what is REAL close? As in this week, this month, this year?
  14.    #74  
    ah, FINALLY some good news from vzw...see front page of precentral.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsquare2112 View Post
    [/B]

And this is exactly why I will be switching over to the Pre2 as soon as possible. I currently have the incredible, and it is an amazing device. I love android and have supported it from day one on the G1, but having to buy a new device just to utilize the newest os is utter BS. I know that technology advances, and with it the device hardware must as well, but the incredible, droid x, and droid 2 are top of the line devices right now. No reason they should not be able to be upgraded to gingerbread. Even iOS 4 is able to run on previous generation devices, webos2 will run on the pre-. It just really frustrates me to no end. WebOS even had support for the original (classic) palm software. It seems to me that Palm / WebOS is the only platform out there that even remotely considers its users when developing / maintaining operating systems. Just my opinion.
    iOS 4 will not run on the 1st gen. iPhone from what I understand. And with removed features on the 3G.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    How do you no?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    First off, there has been a lot of speculation about Gingerbread, similar to Roadrunner HD, etc. Google has stated that "Gingerbread" will not have minimum hardware requirements, yet there are quotes all over the place that Android 3.0 will have the aforementioned minimum requirements.

What do we know?

Google is very aggressive in pushing the hardware to evolve at a rate fast enough to utilize the enhancements being made in software development, and Google is willing to step into the arena with a partner to deliver a device that meets expectations. I don't think its any coincidence that a Nexus 2 is in the works and is expected soon. Google publicly stated they didn't want to make a Nexus 2. What changed? I think the logical deduction is that phone hardware wasn't evolving rapidly enough to meet Google's needs.

Word has always been fairly consistent that Google wasn't going to leave earlier Android device users completely in the cold, instead there would be some 2.x updates released in addition to the top tier Android 3.x system. Based on previous Android works, I think it's safe to say the older generation Android devices get lip service as Google moves ahead with newer software.

Word is that Android "Gingerbread" is not Android 3.0, after all. Gingerbread is now, apparently, expected to be a light enhancement on Android 2.2 (Froyo), and Gingerbread will be build 2.3. Honeycomb will be Android 3.0 and will have all the super awesome enhancements users were expecting in "Gingerbread."

What version of Android users will get depends entirely on the carrier/manufacturer. If the carrier/manufacturer want people to buy new phones, they'll simply lock down the older devices at the current OS (like the Droid Eris), and use the newer OS to market the latest devices on the market. Google has NO power whatsoever in this scenario.

So while "Gingerbread" may not have minimum recommended specifications, Android 3.0 probably will, and we should expect to see Android 3.0 at CES 2011 on the Nexus 2, I'm guessing. Like I said, this is a lot of speculation, but does it really matter what we call Android 3.0? The bottom line is that I'm solidly expecting virtually no existing device on the market will ever receive 3.0.
    In regard to the iPhone's getting operating system upgrades, Apple's original iPhone received OS updates all the way to iOS 3.1.3 which was released in February, 2010. A 3 year life span of OS enhancements and support is incredible, but the fact of the matter is that the original iPhone simply can't handle the iOS 4.0 software.

Some iPhone 3 and 3GS users have decided to downgrade to iOS 3.1.3, but it was their choice. Apple gave users the option of going to the newest, latest and greatest they had despite the iPhone 3 being 2 years old and the iPhone 3GS being 1 year old.
    I was in an airport a while back and there was an announcement that the plane had some minor mechanical difficulties and the flight was going to be delayed. People started whining and moaning and complaining. I'm thinking, gee if there is something not quite right with the plane, please fix it. I'd rather wait a little bit and have a fully functional and safe plane than have to leave right on time.

If HP/Palm is working out some last minute detail with the Pre 2, fine. I can wait.

But it better be out by end of Nov, or end of year at the latest!!!
    Sharp YO-370 -> HP 200LX -> Palm m125 -> Palm Treo 680 -> Pre 2

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein
    Or selling the Droid 2 Global two days earlier than announced. Maybe the OP had a point in that Verizon is holding up the Pre 2 since two Droids are up for sale within a short time period. Droids are really Verizon's top selling phones these days.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast