Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    An onslaught of Android phones is in the works for the holidays, with several being released in the next week.

Most people now believe a VZW iPhone is imminent for very early 2011.

Most people will either snatch up a new Android phone now or wait to find out more about the iPhone.

The way it's looking the Pre 2 will be launched in this awkward middle ground trying to get users who didn't want a new Android and don't want to wait for the VZW iPhone. A disastrous launch philosophy to say the least.
    right. I think an even more advanced os than 2.0 is in order for ces, with all the capabilities of all other smartphones, and then some, if hp wants to capitolize on their accuisition in the smartphone market.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    You are correct that at this time Palm does have a very small market share, but the idea is to not only be able to maintain that market share but then look at the where the market will be next year..and the year after that. Palm's biggest gain is not going to be from users switching from an Iphone or a Droid to Palm, it's going to be a new user picking up their first smart phone, the market is ever expanding and there is plenty of room for Palm to pick up some of that space.
    I'm kind of stunned to read this.

I realize you don't speak in any official capacity for Palm but if the big plan to revitalize things is targeting the the My First Smartphone market (where the $99 iPhone and the $10 Android phone exists), it's a wrap for webOS as a smartphone platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post

I realize you don't speak in any official capacity for Palm but if the big plan to revitalize things is targeting the the My First Smartphone market (where the $99 iPhone and the $10 Android phone exists), it's a wrap for webOS as a smartphone platform.
    That would imply that HP/Palm actually has a strategy in mind for the release of the Pre 2. I'm not that hopeful anymore.
    i believe he's saying that the market is VERY youngg, and has much room to grow
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I completely agree. WebOS is indeed a pleasure to use. But, to get the most out of it, one can't be a new smartphone user. New users don't want to have to tinker and tweak their OSs in order to get basic functionality such as being able to download html attachments to emails. Are new smartphone users going to have enough experience to know where to look for tweaks?

I've been using smartphones/PDAs for more than 10 years. I have a healthy respect for the homebrew developers, XDA developers who cook modified ROMS, and the entire iOS jailbreak community. But, that respect has taken time to develop.

If HP is truly targeting first-time smartphone buyers, they will undoubtedly find a large number of customers returning their devices within the first 30 days of purchase.
    what's a $10 Android phone? Is it a piece of crap? Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    That would imply that HP/Palm actually has a strategy in mind for the release of the Pre 2. I'm not that hopeful anymore.
    The problem with the Pre 2 is that HP has put themselves in a pick your poison type of scenario. Do you try to market something that is fundamentally unmarketable (either because of the impending announcement of the "superphone" or because of the litany of reasons even loyal Pre 1 users have for not upgrading to the Pre 2) or do you not market it at all?
    They could take on the under-$100 Android market easily IMO, even the $150 market. They just move too slowly to do so.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    i never could figure out what the blog post title meant

It's was referred to first in a movie called Spinal Tap.

"Up to eleven" or "these go to eleven" is an idiom from popular culture which has come to refer to anything being exploited to its utmost abilities, or apparently exceeding them, such as a sound volume control. Similarly, the expression "turning it up to eleven" may refer to the act of taking something to an extreme
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    It's was referred to first in a movie called Spinal Tap.

"Up to eleven" or "these go to eleven" is an idiom from popular culture which has come to refer to anything being exploited to its utmost abilities, or apparently exceeding them, such as a sound volume control. Similarly, the expression "turning it up to eleven" may refer to the act of taking something to an extreme
    thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    what's a $10 Android phone? Is it a piece of crap? Lol
    T-Mobile USA has several Androids for free, not even $10.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    They could take on the under-$100 Android market easily IMO, even the $150 market. They just move too slowly to do so.
    I bought a $99 Droid Eris. I won't make that mistake again. Unless you are willing to shop and chuck on eBay, you could find yourself strattled with a an AMC Pacer.

The low end devices are borderline criminal for anyone with a neuron. They may be eye candy for the unitiated, but they will quickly sour one's vision of a smartphone.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    If you want Palm to survive, you should care. WP7 phones now released in the US, nothing from Palm yet. Not that MSFT may do any better but everyone's getting the jump on Palm, who has not released a new device in some time. That was OK in the past but the new norm seems to be something new from each manufacturer every 6 months or sooner.
    I want Palm to survive but I dont think that their survival is dependent upon the Pre2... since this is not a mass marketed device I dont think they feel that it is either. Their man concern is CES and thats what I am most concerned about, not the Pre2 that I cant even get even if I wanted to...

So really do I care about the Pre2... no but I hope that it does well on the carriers that it launches on...
  14. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    i never could figure out what the blog post title meant

Run don't walk to the video store and rent "Spinal Tap". It's an awesome movie. The guitar player has an amp that had a volume control that went to "11" rather just "10".

Up to eleven - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ive seen spinal tap back in my cloudier days , but that post was to vague to bring back those foggy memories
    Quote Originally Posted by neutron View Post
    I bought a $99 Droid Eris. I won't make that mistake again. Unless you are willing to shop and chuck on eBay, you could find yourself strattled with a an AMC Pacer.

The low end devices are borderline criminal for anyone with a neuron. They may be eye candy for the unitiated, but they will quickly sour one's vision of a smartphone.
    What was the problem with the Droid Eris?

Also, I have 2, let's say "non-top-of-the-line" Androids. One's a bit buggy, but I guess I'm such a geek, I don't mind too much. The other is getting less support from the manufacturer than I would like, but it's pretty solidly built. Should I have gotten the Galaxy S instead? Maybe so. But that would have been about $400-$500 off contract for one. Instead I was able to get 2 phones, which I need.

I do wish either dual SIM phones were more popular or you could get a 2nd line more easily in the US. Then I could have one phone.

[COLOR="Navy"]What was the problem with the Droid Eris?
    As an entry level device into Android for a non-smartphone user, probably nothing. As an entry level device for an experienced smartphone user, a world of difference.

It all comes down to how much homework a non-smartphone user is willing to do prior to buying. Are they likely to consider the following for a lower cost:

older OS, with less functionality than the newer OS
    older CPU
    less RAM so that lag is an issue
    OEM UI overlaying the OS
    EOL in 6 months

Once new smartphone buyers get over the newness of webOS, are they likely to be satisfied with what they think they should be able to do out of the box?I think many first-time smartphone buyers are going to have higher expectations than I had with my Eris. After all, I had other smartphone devices I could switch back and forth to.
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    I want Palm to survive but I dont think that their survival is dependent upon the Pre2... since this is not a mass marketed device I dont think they feel that it is either. Their man concern is CES and thats what I am most concerned about, not the Pre2 that I cant even get even if I wanted to...

So really do I care about the Pre2... no but I hope that it does well on the carriers that it launches on...
    Every device matters for them, every. They can't afford to "experiment". HP does have the money to, but that doesn't mean they will just keep throwing money after devices that don't do well. They seem to be quite reserved in their supposed enthusiasm over acquring Palm.

Only MSFT can apparently afford to experiment like that but I would think since the Kin disaster was so expensive, if they allow something like that again, Ballmer will have to go.

No offense intended, HardBeatZ, but I don't think HP/Palm has realized how dangerously close webOS is to disappearing into a black hole. The Pre 2 or another device MUST launch prior to Gingerbread or webOS is over. Done. Fineto.

Sure, back in mid 2009 when there was no competition for Sprint or Verizon touchscreen smartphone OS's or devices, being late to the party with updates and basic functionality such as video recording and quality hardware wasn't going to sink the webOS ship, but now it's a totally different story. I don't understand why HP/Palm doesn't understand this? I feel like applying for a senior executive position within HP/Palm because the arrogance of having such a great OS has apparently clouded the fundamental truths about how dire the situation is for webOS devices, including tablets.

Windows Mobile 7 is not a joke. It's getting a lot of very good reviews, generating a lot of publicity, and it's launching on a lot of really good hardware.
    Android 2.2 (Froyo) on an top tier device is "the" combination to have right now. Already devices like the Droid 2 are being released with specs that match up to requirements set for Gingerbread.
    iOS 4 has a huge following of users, some 6x larger than webOS, and it's coming to Verizon.
    Blackberry is working hard to catch up in the marketplace, and with the largest client base of any of the smart phone users, it has some time to make necessary changes before it fades out. Especially with it's firm grasp on enterprise users.

webOS users fall into a paltry <5% of the market. The coming 6-12 months will make or break webOS and all of Palm mobile devices, period. Does HP/Palm really believe there won't be humongous improvements to Android 3.0+ by Martias Duarte? There is not enough room in the marketplace to support 5 operating systems, and most of the industry and tech leaders are just plain forgetting that webOS even exists. New hardware, certainly hardware substantially more impressive than the Pre 2 brings to the table is imperative. Now. Not "in the coming months." Not after CES 2011. webOS will gain absolutely zero traction in a market where Android 3.0 is available on hardware far superior to anything Palm has made available, in a market where Windows Mobile 7 has established itself and iOS and Blackberry are still thriving.

I, like thousands of others here in the forums, am a huge fan of webOS. I even sorta like my Pre, when the GPS actually works the first time I launch Sprint Navigation... or when I'm able to use the handset to make calls instead of my bluetooth because my speaker isn't working on Pre #5. That said, if Palm doesn't release something extremely soon, I'm gone, and I won't look back. Same with millions of other webOS users, and that's the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by neutron View Post
    As an entry level device into Android for a non-smartphone user, probably nothing. As an entry level device for an experienced smartphone user, a world of difference.

It all comes down to how much homework a non-smartphone user is willing to do prior to buying. Are they likely to consider the following for a lower cost:

older OS, with less functionality than the newer OS
    older CPU
    less RAM so that lag is an issue
    OEM UI overlaying the OS
    EOL in 6 months

Once new smartphone buyers get over the newness of webOS, are they likely to be satisfied with what they think they should be able to do out of the box?I think many first-time smartphone buyers are going to have higher expectations than I had with my Eris. After all, I had other smartphone devices I could switch back and forth to.
    Oh they refused the 2.1 or 2.2 upgrade to the Eris? I did read something about that but forgot which OS. If 2.1, yes that's an issue. Developers are now ignoring anything under.

Less RAM, yeah I have that problem too, lol. OEM UI, I have that too. Fast EOL, such seems the case on Verizon these days with Androids. I think the Moto Droid is EOL too. But only the lack of 2.1 would have really bothered me so much that I'd hate the phone. Though perhaps a Motorola phone on Verizon is a better choice, they get all the support.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast