Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    You can find an announcement here
    The Official Palm Blog: Why webOS 2.0 goes to 11

Palm Pre 2 will be coming to Verizon in the coming months. That IS something and as good as it's going to get at this time.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    was going to say that idk y hp should wait till ces.... But I'll just say that I better b blown away @ ces with all inclusive hardware, and webos 2.1+. Or else thay will slip out of that 4% market share
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Sadly, it seems they are intentionally trying to lose all customers except the most loyal. Maybe they want to start over fresh?
    What kind of business model would this be?
    I expect HPalm to start major advertising once they announce new hardware at CES.

Sadly, it seems they are intentionally trying to lose all customers except the most loyal. Maybe they want to start over fresh?
    Palm follows the same philosophy that every other company follows. We make announcements when we are prepared and are in a position to be able to say we are going to be able to firmly follow through with them.

It's more harmful to announce a firm date and not meet it, than not announce anything and unfortunately lose those that don't want to wait.

The ONLY difference that is seen here is that at this time we don't have as large of a scale of devices or marketshare to let it fly under the radar. Microsoft announces a new phone coming in a the "coming months" and everyone is excited and there is no hoopla about a firm date being set, yet Palm does the same thing and get's flack about it.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    was going to say that idk y hp should wait till ces.... But I'll just say that I better b blown away @ ces with all inclusive hardware, and webos 2.1+. Or else thay will slip out of that 4% market share
    You are correct that at this time Palm does have a very small market share, but the idea is to not only be able to maintain that market share but then look at the where the market will be next year..and the year after that. Palm's biggest gain is not going to be from users switching from an Iphone or a Droid to Palm, it's going to be a new user picking up their first smart phone, the market is ever expanding and there is plenty of room for Palm to pick up some of that space.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Microsoft announces a new phone coming in a the "coming months" and everyone is excited
    Last time I got excited about a Microsoft device was when I threw my Dell PC into the trash can. People are excited about Palm and webOS. There is a huge base of untapped potential users who would flock to this device if corralled properly.

Alas, poor leadership always gets the booby prize. Despite great visionary potential, John Delorean did not have the leadership to put a dent in Detroit. Today, we have vintage cars from a bygone era. Unless HP wants the same to happen with webOS, better attention to the marketplace needs to occur.
  7.    #27  
    I guess the tone of this post changed from what I had intended it to be.

this has nothing to do with "whats wrong with palm" or "whats wrong with hp."

the original intention of my post was, "whats wrong with vzw" in their treatment of palm, AGAIN.

all the rumored devices, released on leaked spec sheets from bgr and engadget etc, clearly showed various vzw phones coming out this month, and all have, except the pre 2. and I know for a fact that my vzw store has not received any training on the pre 2, though they admit it is coming.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    From what Im told the stock for phone's coming out Thursday have already arrived at the store this morning. No Pre 2 was in what arrived at the stores today. So Id say, no the Pre 2 is not coming out this week.
    I expect HPalm to start major advertising once they announce new hardware at CES.

Waiting until 2011 when Verizon smartphone people are all getting locked up into Androids now, it seems. Good strategy Palm.
    They'd better hope many are coming off contract in 2011 and hate Android.

As for the other carriers, there's still openings to gain customers. But T-Mobile USA seems pinned to Android too. AT&T could be open and certainly Sprint. Then don't forget the smaller carrier, US Cellular. There's still chances but Palm just seems bent on bad timing.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    You can find an announcement here
    The Official Palm Blog: Why webOS 2.0 goes to 11

Palm Pre 2 will be coming to Verizon in the coming months. That IS something and as good as it's going to get at this time.
    i never could figure out what the blog post title meant

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    i never could figure out what the blog post title meant

What does that say about HP Palm?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Waiting until 2011 when Verizon smartphone people are all getting locked up into Androids now, it seems. Good strategy Palm.
    They'd better hope many are coming off contract in 2011 and hate Android.

As for the other carriers, there's still openings to gain customers. But T-Mobile USA seems pinned to Android too. AT&T could be open and certainly Sprint. Then don't forget the smaller carrier, US Cellular. There's still chances but Palm just seems bent on bad timing.
    Regarding future webOS hardware:
    I think Sprint would be interested if the device had top of the line specs and ran on 4G.
    I think AT&T would be interested after they lose their exclusive iPhone.
    I'm sure T-Mobile would pick it up... They'll take anything they can get lol.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Palm follows the same philosophy that every other company follows. We make announcements when we are prepared and are in a position to be able to say we are going to be able to firmly follow through with them.

It's more harmful to announce a firm date and not meet it, than not announce anything and unfortunately lose those that don't want to wait.

The ONLY difference that is seen here is that at this time we don't have as large of a scale of devices or marketshare to let it fly under the radar. Microsoft announces a new phone coming in a the "coming months" and everyone is excited and there is no hoopla about a firm date being set, yet Palm does the same thing and get's flack about it.
    The Palm loyal would like to see Palm succeed. You worry those people when nothing firm shows up.

As for MSFT, there was a lot of bashing of WP7, so don't get too caught up in how people viewed their announcement.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by neutron View Post
    What does that say about HP Palm?
    i dunno , but the Blogster/employee couldve made it clear what 11 meant!!s
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    You are correct that at this time Palm does have a very small market share, but the idea is to not only be able to maintain that market share but then look at the where the market will be next year..and the year after that. Palm's biggest gain is not going to be from users switching from an Iphone or a Droid to Palm, it's going to be a new user picking up their first smart phone, the market is ever expanding and there is plenty of room for Palm to pick up some of that space.
    That made sense when you were a struggling stand alone company, that doesn't make as much sense when you are a struggling business unit within a large organisation. When you only turn out half-baked smart-phones, then your only choice is to keep turning out them out and going on about how having a single percentage market share would be a great success. However, as part of a large company such as HP, opportunity cost starts to come into play, over the long term does it really make any sense to keep pumping time and resources into a failed struggling OS than was the decision of the last guy (Mark Hurd) or do you simply go back to being a grey box shifter and start turning out Windows 7 or android phones to stay relevant in the smart-phone space.

I just can't see why anyone picking up a smart-phone today, tomorrow or next year would pick a WebOS device over anything else out in the market that actually has some buzz around it. I think, for example, Windows 7 phone is going to eat you alive and the Android onslaught is not going to stop.

If the (predicted) devices at CES are duff, that's it for you.
    Regarding future webOS hardware:
    I think Sprint would be interested if the device had top of the line specs and ran on 4G.
    I think AT&T would be interested after they lose their exclusive iPhone.
    I'm sure T-Mobile would pick it up... They'll take anything they can get lol.
    T-Mobile USA did not take the GSM Pre Plus. They did not even carry the Treo after the 600. They're married to HTC, Motorola and Android. And the occasional BB and Nokia.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I just can't see why anyone picking up a smart-phone today, tomorrow or next year would pick a WebOS device over anything else out in the market that actually has some buzz around it. I think, for example, Windows 7 phone is going to eat you alive and the Android onslaught is not going to stop.
    What does this say about the relative importance of brand loyalty? Does it matter? Are we prisoners to the carrier or vendor? That's how I feel about my iPhone on AT&T. We have a system of carriers offering differing devices with differing adequacies of network coverage. Why is it considered heresy to choose your desired device and fit it to the network of choice?

I for one am not willing to experiment with my annual upgrade for differing devices that only scratch part of an itch. I am finding myself spending more and more time on eBay searching for a suite of devices that best meet my needs.

Is HP Palm doing better in the second hand market?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That made sense when you were a struggling stand alone company, that doesn't make as much sense when you are a struggling business unit within a large organisation. When you only turn out half-baked smart-phones, then your only choice is to keep turning out them out and going on about how having a single percentage market share would be a great success. However, as part of a large company such as HP, opportunity cost starts to come into play, over the long term does it really make any sense to keep pumping time and resources into a failed struggling OS than was the decision of the last guy (Mark Hurd) or do you simply go back to being a grey box shifter and start turning out Windows 7 or android phones to stay relevant in the smart-phone space.

If the (predicted) devices at CES are duff, that's it for you.
    I also don't see how they expect to get new smartphone users at this point(next year may be different though). All people know is iPhone and Android, there are ads and buzz everywhere for those. And now MSFT with WP7 will likely start advertising all over due to Zune and XBL integration. I've already seen front page MSN ads.

Then dismissing iPhone and Android users? Not the best move IMO. An exisiting smartphone user is a "pre-sale" if you know what you're doing. Show them why your OS is better and you can grab some of them too.

The official press release did state Verizon would get it in the "coming months", not next month. Last time I checked it has been just short of a month since the Pre 2 was officially announced. Calm down people, it'll come out soon enough. Until then enjoy your overclocked speeds, patches, themes & homebrew apps until it does come out, or we get an offical 2.0 update. That's what I'll be doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I also don't see how they expect to get new smartphone users at this point. All people know is iPhone and Android, there are ads and buzz everywhere for those. And now MSFT with WP7 will likely start advertising all over due to Zune and XBL integration. I've already seen front page MSN ads.

Then dismissing iPhone and Android users? Not the best move IMO. An exisiting smartphone user is a "pre-sale" if you know what you're doing. Show them why your OS is better and you can grab some of them too.
    An onslaught of Android phones is in the works for the holidays, with several being released in the next week.

Most people now believe a VZW iPhone is imminent for very early 2011.

Most people will either snatch up a new Android phone now or wait to find out more about the iPhone.

The way it's looking the Pre 2 will be launched in this awkward middle ground trying to get users who didn't want a new Android and don't want to wait for the VZW iPhone. A disastrous launch philosophy to say the least.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast