Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,

    Need some honest opinions here. I am on the Rogers network (Canada) which is rumoured to be getting the Pre 2 this month. I have the iphone 3g which is now painful to use and I NEED a new phone ASAP. I once had a Treo 680 which I loved other than the hardware, which went on me and led me to the iphone. I had my eye on the original pre from before it launched but never had the opportunity to get it and to be honest was a little stand-offish on the screen size and build quality. After seeing videos of the Pre 2 and WebOS 2.0 and the speed of the operating system I really want to get it. BUT, I know I will be ****ed at myself if 3 months later HP comes out with some killer device with a larger screen or better resolution. However, I can't wait another year for a new device and with Rogers getting the Pre 2 they may be last on the list to get the new devices...

    Will an old-school Palm lover be happy with the Pre 2???

    Thoughts?

    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    you will like it better than anything else. Once you have preware for added functionality, you will be in heaven
  3. #3  
    Get an iphone 4. Jailbreak. Enjoy.
  4. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #4  
    Be prepared for a less-than-desirable app store. Palm's app selection is like a drop of water in the desert compared with Apple and Android.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Get an iphone 4. Jailbreak. Enjoy.
    Your not serious.. Are you! How better would that be. You could have at least mention the EVo.
  6. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Your not serious.. Are you! How better would that be. You could have at least mention the EVo.
    I just finished my 30-day trial with the EVO. It's a cool phone, but it's too dang big.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Your not serious.. Are you! How better would that be. You could have at least mention the EVo.
    Didn't think he was on sprint. But since he's got an iphone 3G already i assume he's got a few apps and leg into the itunes ecosystem already. An iphone 4 is a great choice especially with 4.2 around the corner, updated cydia coming, jailbreak ready almost. I'd give HP more time if you're waiting on webOS.
  8. #8  
    The least you all could have done is read his first line where he says he is on Rogers in Canada.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Didn't think he was on sprint. But since he's got an iphone 3G already i assume he's got a few apps and leg into the itunes ecosystem already. An iphone 4 is a great choice especially with 4.2 around the corner, updated cydia coming, jailbreak ready almost. I'd give HP more time if you're waiting on webOS.
    Sure, and I bet that antenna issues are all the rage right now too. If you're going to get an iPhone, wait till iPhone 5.
  10. #10  
    If you dont mind losing a couple apps, the Pre 2 will run circles around your iPhone 3G.

    Plus the hardware looks to be more robust.

    Im going to make an assumption, that if any carrier gets newer Palm hardware from CES 2011 it will be Bell.

    So I would say that getting a Pre 2 now on Rogers would be a decent idea since I dont think they will be getting the newer hardware until much later.

    Just a guess though. From past experiences with Rogers and Bell and Palm (it seems that they each skip a generation [Bell got Treo 700wx, then Rogers got the Treo 750, then Bell got the Treo Pro)
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the input fellas. I am not tooooo concerned about the pre app selection as to be honest I barely hit up the apple app store anymore. I just want to do the basics but do them really well. I think I may jump in and get the pre 2. The only thing that is tugging at me is the report that Rogers is offering the Dell Streak soon too. I have to say that I like the idea of a half smartphone half tablet. And I see what you are saying rmausser, I will likely be waiting another year at least for another palm device to come to rogers.
  12. #12  
    Funny how people are so ready to recommend the phone despite the lack of reviews.
  13. #13  
    I moved from iphone 3G and the original PRE runs circles around that phone (with ios 3). I think with Pre2 you will be much happier especially with webOS 2.0.

    I buy a TON of apps (240 on pre so far, >500 on iphone/ipad) and aside from voip/mic apps you can get nearly every other type of app on the PRE. SOme are unique to webOS and are pretty good. You can check the app catalog before investing in PRE if you want at palm.com

    I was worried hat I might not like the screen since it is smaller than the iphone but it was not a big deal. I love synergy and the gestures I am unable to use an iphone now as I keep wanting to use gestures. PRe has an actual file system which makes it much easier to deal with when moving files to and from the phone. On my ipad if I download something with one program no other program can see it, not so with the Pre, a image file can be placed anywhere and the photo app will be able to see it, same with audio, video and doc files. The pdf app is not that great though but I think it is a problem of memory which Pre 2 won't have plus Pre2 will have Quick office viewer which apparently is much better (an editor will be available later).
  14. #14  
    Dell streak is a good option too and at $149.99 better deal than US however it is an older phone now since it uses first gen qualcomm chip. It is slower than 1GHz Ti 3630 that is in Pre. Dell is going to upgrade it to 2.2 soon so maybe that will fix the issues (it shipped with 1.6 originally).

    In the end you should go with what you like better in your hand. Try and test them out both.
  15. #15  
    I have the original pre on bell and find myself in the same situation as you op. Its a tough call. For me its a huge want to get away from bells horrible cdma network asap. But I know that something is coming and will be announced at ces.

    as for when it will be available it should be too bad for a canada release especially since it will be from hp and they have the mass reach

    not sure what carrier it will end up on. In fact I'm surprized rogers is picking up the pre 2 rather than telus.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Im going to make an assumption, that if any carrier gets newer Palm hardware from CES 2011 it will be Bell.
    But doesn't matter. Going forward anymore hardware launched in Canada will most likely be UMTS, so as long as it can be unlocked you can use it on all big 3 carriers.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Funny how people are so ready to recommend the phone despite the lack of reviews.
    Well it's not too tough, is it?

    The phone is very similar to the Pre, So assumptions can be made based on the usage of the current phone, plus better build quality as stated by most reviews available now, which was the biggest complaint.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by wingcutter View Post
    Hi All,

    Need some honest opinions here. I am on the Rogers network (Canada) which is rumoured to be getting the Pre 2 this month. I have the iphone 3g which is now painful to use and I NEED a new phone ASAP. I once had a Treo 680 which I loved other than the hardware, which went on me and led me to the iphone. I had my eye on the original pre from before it launched but never had the opportunity to get it and to be honest was a little stand-offish on the screen size and build quality. After seeing videos of the Pre 2 and WebOS 2.0 and the speed of the operating system I really want to get it. BUT, I know I will be ****ed at myself if 3 months later HP comes out with some killer device with a larger screen or better resolution. However, I can't wait another year for a new device and with Rogers getting the Pre 2 they may be last on the list to get the new devices...

    Will an old-school Palm lover be happy with the Pre 2???

    Thoughts?

    Thanks!
    I would say no because:

    1) If the screen size put you off before, it should be even more cumbersome after stepping down from a 3.5-inch Palm Pre. You really do notice it.
    2) If you're an old school Palm lover, you should be advised that WebOS is pretty barebones when it comes to PIM apps (one of the specialties of PalmOS), and Web 2.0 brings almost no improvements in this area.
  19. CTTKDKing's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #19  
    Just my thoughts: Will an old school Palm lover be happy? Depends. I didn't have any Palm phones before the Pre, but I had a Tungsten and WAY back an old Palm Pilot. I'm very happy with my Pre and it states my addiction to modifying whatever it is that I own to make it operate in ways it's not suppose to. Best advice that anyone has given you though is to play around with it at the store (or better yet use a friends if you know anyone with a Pre or Pre plus to get and idea how the OS works and whatnot), and see if it's a fit for you. I can say that I'm very happy with my Original Launch day Pre, and I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with the Operating system. If the hardware for the Pre 2 is beefed up as it seems from the videos I've seen then I can't see anyone not being happy with the Pre 2. Sorry for the rambling.
  20. #20  
    You're operating under the assumption that HP/Palm is actually going to release the Pre 2 in the U.S. and/or Canada.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions