Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Have a buddy with a Pre 2, he lives far away but he's told me it scores a 92 on the Acid3 test (same as the current WebOS 1.4.5) but:

evite.com now works
    digg.com still broke (if anyone is still going to that site)
    I sure hope Palm would at least update the browser with a newer WebKit core, especially if HTML5 is some sort of core component of webOS 2.0...

On a side note, I love how you added that last qualifier to the digg.com reference, haha. I know exactly where you're coming from - I've been a member there since 2005 and used it every day I've had the account until the new version rolled out to everyone. So many people *****ed so much and it has taken the devs so long to fix the problems that I've completely stopped using it. I suppose this forum has somewhat replaced it as my daily time-waster
    There are a couple of bugs in the current browser that annoy me. One is the way that it only renders part of the page from time to time. Usually you can flip to landscape and back to get it to load, but sometimes it doesn't load even then.

Also I have long suspected some sort of memory leak in the browser, but that may only annoy Pre minus users.

I wish there was a way to reliably reproduce the half-render error, but I don't know of one if it exists. So let us know if your buddy stumbles into it.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that it's great news to hear that there are definitely some updates to the browser in webOS 2.0.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    This is sad blackberry's new browser gets more than 98 while we only still get 92?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Did he mention whether or not he can upload files in the browser?
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    There are a couple of bugs in the current browser that annoy me. One is the way that it only renders part of the page from time to time. Usually you can flip to landscape and back to get it to load, but sometimes it doesn't load even then.

Also I have long suspected some sort of memory leak in the browser, but that may only annoy Pre minus users.

I wish there was a way to reliably reproduce the half-render error, but I don't know of one if it exists. So let us know if your buddy stumbles into it.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that it's great news to hear that there are definitely some updates to the browser in webOS 2.0.
    I know exactly what you're talking about and it's so annoying, only way to keep going is to close the card and open a new browser. And I have a pre plus. I seem to mostly get them when I have multiple browser windows open loading heavy content pages (like engadget and gizmodo), it seems at three browsers or more is when I get it, but it's not always consistently appearing.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    I know exactly what you're talking about and it's so annoying, only way to keep going is to close the card and open a new browser. And I have a pre plus. I seem to mostly get them when I have multiple browser windows open loading heavy content pages (like engadget and gizmodo), it seems at three browsers or more is when I get it, but it's not always consistently appearing.
    whenever only part of the page shows for me, i just zoom way in or out then back and the whole thing's there afterward.
    I only hope that the cursor is now followed when typing in a textfield
    browser needs to be "fixed" to double-tap zoom in like the android browser
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    umm, you can double tap to zoom. Its been there since the original Pre.

You can also Pinch to Zoom. Which is much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    This is sad blackberry's new browser gets more than 98 while we only still get 92?
    Meh, when you go from 92 to 98 you don't have much of an improvement. You don't need 100 for an awesome web experience.
    That is definitely a default feature since day one...
    I also want the browser to stop giving me an error 2035 when I try to login to my school's student control panel. I'm pretty sure this should for mobile browsers because it works on iPhones and on PreFox (well prefox crashes two minutes into login, though).
    Actually, what I want is a key combo to tab from form field to form field.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Yes, the webOS 2.0 browser needs to support text reflow. The Android browser supports this. This way you can zoom in on a block of text and it'll still fit it to the width of the screen. As it is now, when you zoom in for some text to make it large enough to comfortably read, you end up having to constantly pan back and forth to read the thing. This is a BIG omission for the webOS browser as far as I'm concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Exactly the bug that bugs me. One would think the basic feature of a browser would be to display pages, not to hide them.

Sometimes you can just forcibly scroll down on a page and it will load further (or display what didn't seem loaded correctly).
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Exactly the bug that bugs me. One would think the basic feature of a browser would be to display pages, not to hide them.

Sometimes you can just forcibly scroll down on a page and it will load further (or display what didn't seem loaded correctly).
    Yeah, and it's not like it happens to me every day, but it's hard to believe a user-facing bug like this hasn't been dealt with yet. It is difficult to reproduce, and it isn't a HUGE issue, but it's annoying nonetheless. It's stuff like this that I hope a less resource-constrained Palm will be able to handle more easily under HP ownership. I have high hopes for webOS 2.0 and the updates that will no doubt be following.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Acid3 test doesn't mean much once you get to the 90s. Look at firefox 3.6 and firefox 4 beta. They STILL don't get 100/100. Now are you seriously going to tell me that blackberry and safari etc are better than firefox because of Acid3?
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    I only hope that the cursor is now followed when typing in a textfield
    Really.... It's time for me to admit that Palm has been farking around too much by not releasing a fix for this. Between this and no mic APIs, it almost seems like they didn't care.

I mean... even a Treo 300 can pop up with another text field box so that my text doesn't travel OFF THE SCREEN!!

Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    umm, you can double tap to zoom. Its been there since the original Pre.

You can also Pinch to Zoom. Which is much better.
    Umm... double tap on webOS is way better than iOS or Android. webOS double tap always gets me right where I want to be on the first time. I typically want to see, say a whole column, not just the text or just the picture I clicked on. This is one of the reasons it's so hard for me to move to another mobile OS. Double tapping to get to the column is so mundane because it just works; pinch to zoom requires more thinking and more dexterity, even an extra hand more, than necessary.
    oh, does the web browser recognize html5 video? I've noticed on my iphone alot of pages that have imbeded videos (like here on pre central) also have an html5 layer underneath the flash layer. So on my iphone, at first the video preview pic at first comes up as flash video which cannot be played, but once the phone recognizes the html5 layer it then becomes veiwable, and on some sites it even plays embeded in the browser instead of launching the media player. However on my pre, it only recognizes the flash and shows an blue icon meaning its a flash element that cant be played.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast