Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I've brought up the revised hardware and slick WebOS 2.0 features to a few friends that are in the market on Verizon, but no takers yet. They are all waiting to ditch their BBs or Androids for a Verizon iPhone whenever it comes out.

Anyone else think that friends who are not current Pre users will switch to a Pre 2 on Verizon or Sprint, assuming they get it sooner or later?

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Nope i don't think they'll switch. but i haven't converted anyone to an original Pre let alone a Pre 2. Then again I have no clue why i'd try.
    I asked my wife if she wanted to go try the Pre 2. She threatened to divorce me. Yep, the sprint Pre experience was really that bad.
    All my friends have webos phones.

...and we are all anxiously waiting on the pre2.

[i]-- Sent from my pre2
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    I was thinking about this the other day, one of the ways that a phone becomes successful is that (beyond marketing), people get to see other people use them and there is a snowball effect as they think "that is pretty cool" and get one - however here in the UK, I have only ever seen one Pre in the wild and that person said they were getting an iphone - it's hard to convert without a visible user-base.
    I plan on coming back to webOS and the Pre 2. I can't stand my Droid. I actually love the pre form factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtreo View Post
    Anyone else think that friends who are not current Pre users will switch to a Pre 2 on Verizon or Sprint, assuming they get it sooner or later?
    I certainly will. As for friends or others, hard to tell. HP Palm hasn't kicked up a convincing marketing plan aimed at non-webOS users.
    I agree with CGK; I am in the states and aside from my wife and I, I only know 1 other person with a pre. Aside from that, I literally ran into one other person, (ONCE) that was using a pre, and yes, they happened to have worked for palm. So the problem HP faces is that literally every bit of mindshare will have to be won with marketing money because there isn't enough of a market presence for any appreciable "Snowball effect" whether people like their Palm phones or not.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    wow I got two pre's and a pixi sold to family and they all absolutely love them. WebOS is just that good to get past the hardware issues. And I don't know but I think the pre 2 is sexy. If I didn't want a bigger screen and some things I'd be getting a pre2 oh and if it was on sprint. So I'm stuck with me pre -.
    In process of converting a coworker on Verizon to go with the Pre 2. Guess I'll get to play with one before Sprint gets it
    Convert? Really? Unless you work for HP, why would you want to get into the conversion business? Proselytizing is for religious zealots. Has Palm become that much of a cult? Do the masses need their iPhone/Android/BB/WinMo using souls saved by you? Don't you think going around trying to convert people to your smartphone preference is a bridge too far?
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    All my friends have webos phones.

...and we are all anxiously waiting on the pre2.

[i]-- Sent from my pre2
    Except for you? Do you indeed have a pre2 as you seem to indicate?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Except for you? Do you indeed have a pre2 as you seem to indicate?
    Still waiting for an answer - LOL
    I've converted at least 10 people to a pre plus, (im on sprint). And they all mentioned no interest in upgrading to a pre 2. Wern't eligable for upgrade or happy with what they have.

The palm pre 2 won't be doing soo good me thinks. It will just be considered another option. But nothing people are going to be hot and heavy over.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Convert? Really? Unless you work for HP, why would you want to get into the conversion business? Proselytizing is for religious zealots. Has Palm become that much of a cult? Do the masses need their iPhone/Android/BB/WinMo using souls saved by you? Don't you think going around trying to convert people to your smartphone preference is a bridge too far?
    @danbj13
    Here's a cookie. Relax and go sit over there. Seriously.

I think most of us that bother to read a smartphone forum are asked by friends and family about what phone they should try. I suggested a Pre to my wife and an Evo to my sister and they both love them. You may have done the same -- in an angry fashion, apparently.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Take a deep breath there. Didn't we have this conversation last month? Does EVERYTHING have a religious context with you? Convert does not necessarily refer to a religious experience - look it up (i.e. converting on 3rd down, converting currency)

I understand that as an Apple partisan, you've probably received your unfair share of shots accusing you of being a zealot. But if you are using a platform who's major issues is mindshare, wouldn't you expect it's users to try to grow the user-base so as to attract more developer attention? (Especially if they are fans of the particular product or service - it's called 'word of mouth', and all companies actively encourage it.)

People promote things they like all the time. Movies, sports teams, car brands, etc. Unless one starts calling people idiots because of their choices, or "infidels" or something like that (and we've all seen that ) it is not as bad as you make it seem.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtreo View Post
    @danbj13
    Here's a cookie. Relax and go sit over there. Seriously.

I think most of us that bother to read a smartphone forum are asked by friends and family about what phone they should try. I suggested a Pre to my wife and an Evo to my sister and they both love them. You may have done the same -- in an angry fashion, apparently.
    Oh and here's your blanky & teddy bear.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I asked my wife if she wanted to go try the Pre 2. She threatened to divorce me. Yep, the sprint Pre experience was really that bad.
    haha when i was at the engadget meetup in NYC looking at the Palm Pre 2...my gf just rolled her eyes and mumbled under her breath.

girlfriends/wife + bad experience = Never hearing the end of it.
    I got my mother and one of my sister's Pixis and they love them

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post
    Oh and here's your blanky & teddy bear.
    I would also like some hot soup if you have it.

Honestly, I don't give a darn what my friends and family use. I am neither benefited or harmed based on their choices. Some have iDevices, some have Droids. Who cares! If they see what you use and want to know more about it, that's one thing. It is quite another to actively crusade for the cause. I'm not the one who needs to take a step back, here. If you feel the need to convert people to your preference, then you are more than just a fan; you're a crusader.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast