Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Many of my friends have the Pre but none of them are interested in the Pre2 (including me) due to it being a minor spec bump. They've all stated that they'll wait for a real WebOS device or just jump to an Evo-type device.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Convert? Really? Unless you work for HP, why would you want to get into the conversion business? Proselytizing is for religious zealots. Has Palm become that much of a cult? Do the masses need their iPhone/Android/BB/WinMo using souls saved by you? Don't you think going around trying to convert people to your smartphone preference is a bridge too far?
    yeah gotta agree. i've never tried to convince anyone to buy a phone. Not my job or my concern. Let HP sell their product. They don't pay me. I just think evangelizing for stuff is way overboard. It's not that serious.

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    All my friends have webos phones.

...and we are all anxiously waiting on the pre2.
    i actually only know what phone 3 of my friends have. One cause, he whipped out his iphone to show me **** (wow you can't type P0rn) the other cause it's the first chick i saw with a droid and that fact stood out, and the other cause he is the only person i know with a Pre and my best friend and he told me when he bought it at launch. I never paid attention to others phones though.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 11/02/2010 at 02:43 PM.
    LOL! I think they meant "convert" in a fun way, not like a religious conversion.

I usually only "convert" myself by testing the phones out to see if I like them or not. I have to see a Pre 2 in person. I saw the Pre and it wasn't really enough to "convert" me. I think one reason was because at the time it wasn't on all the carriers so I couldn't use it fully(I was not on Sprint at the initial roll out). Then all the build quality posts scared me off. I'm going to have to wait for reviews and see if I want to make the jump. Because I'm an Android "convert", I'm going to need a reason to switch again.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I never try to convert anyone on anything. I don't want to get blamed if they buy and then don't like it. But I will certainly show off my new Pre 2 to anyone who will look!
    Sharp YO-370 -> HP 200LX -> Palm m125 -> Palm Treo 680 -> Pre 2

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I'm switching from my Droid to the Pre 2. Pretty excited to finally be able to get rid of Android for something with more polish. Huge screens are overrated to me, and Android as it stands right now is a pretty lousy OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I would also like some hot soup if you have it.

Honestly, I don't give a darn what my friends and family use. I am neither benefited or harmed based on their choices. Some have iDevices, some have Droids. Who cares! If they see what you use and want to know more about it, that's one thing. It is quite another to actively crusade for the cause. I'm not the one who needs to take a step back, here. If you feel the need to convert people to your preference, then you are more than just a fan; you're a crusader.
    if you dont like hearing about the big scary palm cult aquiring new members by brainwashing and hypnothearapy then stop reading the PREcentral forums... all kidding aside. There is nothing wrong with letting people close to you know what you think about devices you've used. If i hated my pre+.. and my brother thought about getting one, i would say NO! i did that and now i am stuck with this thing till my next upgrade. Buuuut i love it, and hence have bragged about it to both my boss and brother who are both proud new pre owners.. my boss then bought one for his wife.. so i guess im an evil cult-master too now huh? lol
    I work as the systems admin in our meager office of 25 people. I know what phone each person has:
    9 iPhone
    4 Android
    3 BlackBerry
    2 Pre minus
    and rest are dumb phones.
    I will be switching back to the webos once the pre2 is released. I will encourage everyone that asks me to switch to it. It is a breeze to set up and manage as a systems admin. Not that the others are not just as easy, but it works well for me.
    Other than that, I see more iPhones and BlackBerry devices around my parts. Android is picking up allot. Only seen two Pre outside of work being used.
    I know three people with webOS devices (2 pres and 1 pixi). Only one of them uses preware only because I installed it for them. lol. I hate seeing people with webOS devices and don't know the first thing about customizing it. To them, it just does what it does. Palm should really advertise the customizability if they truly support Homebrew. Maybe even create a few different themes of their own to switch between. Thats something no other phone shows off. That would ooo and ahhh people.
    I may have brought a friend back from the dark side.. She was looking at a Droid2 and I told her about the Pre2 and she is looking into it, so only time will tell..

And yes, I'm being a bit sarcastic about "back from the dark side" because we all know that webOS has the potential to bring anyone back from the dark sides (Android, iOS, BB, Meego, Symbian, etc.)

Oh, and I sold my sister on the Pre a couple months back (she'd been jealous about my Pre compared to her Instinct), as well as almost selling a friend on getting 4 Pres through HP (free, 3 with $50 gift cards) except the Sprint activation fees held him back, along with the risk of losing his employer discount (it was like 25%).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Many of my friends have the Pre but none of them are interested in the Pre2 (including me) due to it being a minor spec bump. They've all stated that they'll wait for a real WebOS device or just jump to an Evo-type device.
    I tend to agree. I'm not paying $249 (or possibly more, who knows) for something that really doesn't give me anything more than I already have. I'm a launch day pre user and might consider it if it were a total redesign. The form factor looks essentially the same with a scratch resistant screen and a faster proc.

The wife got an EPIC a few weeks ago and I have to admit, these aging eyes love that big screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day, one of the ways that a phone becomes successful is that (beyond marketing), people get to see other people use them and there is a snowball effect as they think "that is pretty cool" and get one - however here in the UK, I have only ever seen one Pre in the wild and that person said they were getting an iphone - it's hard to convert without a visible user-base.

Tell them Winston Churchill and Franklin Roosevelt communicated with Pres during WWII! If young people in the UK are anything like they are in the U.S. they'd think that WWII was just a few years ago!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neutron View Post
    I certainly will. As for friends or others, hard to tell. HP Palm hasn't kicked up a convincing marketing plan aimed at non-webOS users.
    There should be a section in business school textbooks that reads: 'If You Want To Launch A Successful Product, Then DON'T Do This.'
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I know three people with webOS devices (2 pres and 1 pixi). Only one of them uses preware only because I installed it for them. lol. I hate seeing people with webOS devices and don't know the first thing about customizing it. To them, it just does what it does. Palm should really advertise the customizability if they truly support Homebrew. Maybe even create a few different themes of their own to switch between. Thats something no other phone shows off. That would ooo and ahhh people.
    Sprint has SprintID for Android phones that does that exact same thing, not to mention Android is outrageously configurable for this out of the box. T-Mobile is sticking T-Mobile themes on the MyTouch 4G slab they just put out, and the basis for their MyTouch 3G commercials from a year ago were doing this exact same thing.

"Making the phone yours" is a tremendously generic theme that has been used, re-used, and driven into the ground already. So of course, I expect Palm's inept marketing to run with something as played out as this.
    ^I think it can still be used, it just needs to look "fresh" somehow. It's better than the "go with the flow" and "smart enough for Mom" stuff, lol.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    ^I think it can still be used, it just needs to look "fresh" somehow. It's better than the "go with the flow" and "smart enough for Mom" stuff, lol.
    Well, all they have to do is wait for Windows Phone 7 to finish their $500 million ad blitz on the exact same theme, and then they can borrow it.
    Most of them are waiting for the iPhone and who can blame them. If Sprint got the iPhone today, 2/3 of the Pre users would switch in a heartbeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Well, all they have to do is wait for Windows Phone 7 to finish their $500 million ad blitz on the exact same theme, and then they can borrow it.
    Obviously they can't use the same wording, but it could be done. Provided they keep the OS cleaner and free of restrictions. If they let carriers walk all over them, then they can't use it IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12