Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm seemingly one of the few people in this forum who have been anticipating the release of the Pre 2. I think the specs are fine, I love the look of the phone and absolutely love WebOS. However, I took a quick trip to Verizon tonight with a friend who was looking at new phones. I may be slightly swayed from the Pre 2 after playing with the Droid X and Samsung Fascinate. I don't like the size and I don't like the OS nearly as much. However, they can do a lot of things the Pre can't do (e.g. speaking your destination into navigation...and actually having navigation).

But, the real driving force for me to reconsider has been the complete and utter lack of silence by HP/Palm on the Pre 2. The initial announcement was quiet enough, but I really expected SOME kind of marketing (however small scale it may have been), but they haven't uttered a peep about the phone. It really makes me wonder: How good can the Pre 2 be if they aren't even spending a single dime on trying to market it. I'm not even saying they need an all-out market blitz. All signs point to a release date a little more than a week away and we just haven't heard ANYTHING about it.

It stinks because I was/am really looking forward to the Pre 2, but it's almost like they are trying to release it without anyone knowing about it. As it is, we already know for sure that Verizon will be launching 4 new Android devices on 11/11 (3 Motorolla and 1 Samsung)...all the while we have absolutely nothing but rumors on the Pre 2. It's starting to look more and more like HP/Palm have dropped the ball on this.

Again, I like what I've read about the Pre 2. But why bother releasing a phone if you're not going to get behind it AT ALL?
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    But, the real driving force for me to reconsider has been the complete and utter lack of silence by HP/Palm on the Pre 2.
    Um, I'm pretty sure that's not really what you meant, which was probably the complete and utter silence by HP/Palm... In that case, I'll say that HP's not stupid, and I'm sure they're fully aware of what kind of results they can expect from this particular approach. Whether they market a great deal or not once the device is actually available remains to be seen, but I'm guessing they won't.

This will be, I'm guessing, a very, very soft launch of a device that's really meant to be a better intro to webOS 2.0 than existing devices. It was, I think, pretty much ready to go, and HP decided to go ahead and make a few of them and stick them out there. My longer-term guess is that it will become a mid-range device, with a Pixi 2 coming in at the low-end and the next generation of device(s) coming in at the high-end.

When that will be, who knows. HP takes a pretty long-term view here, because they can afford to (I mean, literally afford to; I doubt that they included many smartphone sales in this fiscal year's revenue projections). And I really don't expect much of a marketing push until the tablet and next-gen smartphone(s) are ready to go.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Buy whatever suits your needs best, not based upon the best marketing blitz.

Those new Ford Fiesta ads are well done and everywhere, but I'm not buying one.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    so enjoy the droid X or fascinate.
    guarantee you'll be scouring the pages of precentral looking for news and gossip.
    oh by the way, I think the droid X and fascinate may be replaced by newer devices in march...then what are you gonna do?
    seriously, though, if there's a feature you really need, get the phone that suits your needs. Don't worry about what marketing is or isn't being done. None of the new android phones coming out next week will get much advertising either. Droid 2 has been out 2 months and already has been Eol'd for a droid 2 "plus." it's just a crazy phone game these manufacturers and carriers are playing...u gotta get what makes you happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    But, the real driving force for me to reconsider has been the complete and utter (x lack of x) silence by HP/Palm on the Pre 2.
    Wouldn't it be better to chose a phone based on features rather than how well or otherwise that you believe that it is being marketed.
    If you're on a carrier where you can get full yearly upgrades, there is no reason to wait for any handset in particular. You should always go for whatever it is that serves your needs best right now.

HP are taking their sweet time, and that is fine for me. I wasted little time in making the Epic my daily device, and haven't regretted a moment. Palm, and any other company or OS for that matter, will have to equal this hardware for me to ever consider leaving it. If they do, I would be happy to give their new devices a chance. If not.....well, it was fun.
    I don't entirely understand what is going on with people and their smartphones. It's as though when you buy a smartphone you are joining a family or a team. It is a device that you use to communicate, it's not a religious choice. There is no penalty to you if your new team doesn't "win." Or are so many of us intimidated by the prospect that someone with an iPhone 4 or an EVO will look at us and say, "Nice palm. What an epic fail, man."

I mean, yeah, I'm rooting for Palm, but only because of the underdog factor (I love to see an underdog win) and my desire for future webOS products and apps. Why do so many people feel like they have to be on the winning team? Seriously, is there that much smartphone peer pressure?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like I've noticed a trend where they let us tech geeks buy at launch and then a week or longer after the ads start streaming in. If I remember correctly (which I often don't) it went like that with the evo, epic and torch. Would it be so horrible for it go like that for the pre2/webOS 2.0?

Oh, and +1000 to jbg's post.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I don't entirely understand what is going on with people and their smartphones. It's as though when you buy a smartphone you are joining a family or a team. It is a device that you use to communicate, it's not a religious choice. There is no penalty to you if your new team doesn't "win." Or are so many of us intimidated by the prospect that someone with an iPhone 4 or an EVO will look at us and say, "Nice palm. What an epic fail, man."

I mean, yeah, I'm rooting for Palm, but only because of the underdog factor (I love to see an underdog win) and my desire for future webOS products and apps. Why do so many people feel like they have to be on the winning team? Seriously, is there that much smartphone peer pressure?
    Because people are sheep
    People want want want, nothing will ever be good enough
    The smartphone market has truly become a cult, and people want to fit in just like with fashion and be 'cool'
    You tried the Android phones and you liked them, but you're giving up on the Pre because of bad marketing? My suggestion for you is to just try it out in the store when it's available. Do you want the right phone, or do you want the phone right now?

From a practical note, losing the popularity contest means lack of support for models that don't do well. Also when market share drops too much or is low, it creates a bad effect, right or wrong. You just look like something to stay away from. If your team is not winning or at least doing well, you'll have a bomb in the mainstream point of view on your hands.

Palm needs to make their phones loved by the mainstream, there's no doubt about it. Pre will still be a niche phone if they don't market correctly again. Niche phones don't sell well, even Google found that out. Sure the N1 has Android but Google marketed it badly to the mainstream. As a result, only techies knew the value of that phone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Hp/Palm don't care.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    From a practical note, losing the popularity contest means lack of support for models that don't do well. Also when market share drops too much or is low, it creates a bad effect, right or wrong. You just look like something to stay away from. If your team is not winning or at least doing well, you'll have a bomb in the mainstream point of view on your hands.

Palm needs to make their phones loved by the mainstream, there's no doubt about it. Pre will still be a niche phone if they don't market correctly again. Niche phones don't sell well, even Google found that out. Sure the N1 has Android but Google marketed it badly to the mainstream. As a result, only techies knew the value of that phone.
    That's a good argument, but I think longevity is a more important factor to support. For example, both Windows Mobile and the old PalmOS both are essentially dead and have "lost." But there are tons of apps out there for them. The longer webOS hangs around, the more supported it will be, even if it never climbs higher than 5% marketshare.

I would also say that if you bought an N1, you're probably still pretty happy with that decision, despite the fact that it didn't sell well.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I'm beginning to contemplate the Pre 2. My Pre Plus has currently developed a crack near the USB door. (i use a touchstone 99% of the time) I'm hoping that if I wait 9 days (ish) they will replace the pre plus with a pre 2 (doubtful) but whats the harm in trying.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczwillz View Post
    Hp/Palm don't care.
    1.2 billion is a lot of not caring...
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

When I read th OP this is exactly what went through my mind. You have a well known device and more people will buy it meaning more developers will develop for it. And seeing as webos`s main letdown is its lack of apps its definitely something to be worried about
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    The Pre 2 isn't the super device to put marketing behind... really shouldn't be any expectation for a huge marketing push.... yet. If, after CES 2011 and the announcement of multiple webOS devices(according to rumor), there is no large scale webOS marketing champaign... then we'll all be disappointed.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    You tried the Android phones and you liked them, but you're giving up on the Pre because of bad marketing? My suggestion for you is to just try it out in the store when it's available. Do you want the right phone, or do you want the phone right now?
    Well, my situation is kind of different. VZ is letting me trade my Pre Plus for any other phone I want b/c of the GPS issue, but I've only got until about the middle of Nov to make up my mind. I'm due for an upgrade in 12/11, so that means I can get a new phone now and then upgrade in just a little over a year. I'd like to switch to the Pre 2 b/c of WebOS, but if it doesn't come out soon, then I might have to go Android.
    This is not a game. These are phones. Whatever phone suits your needs best, I say go for it. HP webOS is an amazing OS, but if it no longer could fill my needs as a device (and I am not switching carriers for a new device) then I will find a device that better suits my needs. plain and simple.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

The problem is that software developers pay attention to the more popular devices. If a device or platform gets no attention, software developers WILL NOT spend development dollars to make an app to sell for that platform. This is why many of us are so annoyed with the lack of ANYTHING that would generate more interest in WebOS.

It has nothing to do with being on a winning team, or wanting to be one of millions of users of a given device, but it is about wanting some of the more interesting apps to come to WebOS, and seeing no chance of that due to the lack of media attention.

Look how long it took for Angry Birds to come to WebOS. If WebOS had an additional 2 million users, we might have seen it much earlier. What about Shazam, or other apps that many want to see come to WebOS? Developers are NOT paying attention to WebOS, because our platform of choice is not seen as popular enough to bother with.

It is really as simple as that. There is also the concern that if sales don't pick up, HP may decide to give up on WebOS within the next couple of years, leaving us with an abandoned platform that will never see updates. It is difficult enough to get AT&T or Verizon to release an OS update(even when they don't do any of the code), so getting more customers that use a WebOS based device will be more of an incentive.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast