Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    <posts about Pre2 issues moved here>
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 01/06/2011 at 03:58 PM.
    I've read some reports on here that the Pre2's build quality isn't any better than a Pre Plus. what are your thoughts? Did Palm improve any of the build quality besides adding a glass screen?
    everything I've seen is that it is first rate.
    Hi there, i do know that webOS 2.x is not out yet for all devices and i had not used it at the moment (Pre2 not available here) but i have seen a lot of pictures and movies showing it and i just wanted to state what the have changed for the worse, maybe someone with webOS 2.x can tell me if this is changeable.

1. "Just type" Top-Bar. I dont like it. Why must it be always visible. For me it was better in 1.4.5 when i just popped up by typing. Can i return it to this behaviour? (Quick actions are superb! Have been long looking for something like this)

2. Application-Cards: Why did they choose to seperate them. When sliding there is always a break between the cards. I liked the old background (the new is very monoton and boring, no gradient,...) of the old webOS more, cause there was no irritation when brwsing fast between to pages. (More cards is superb. I will use one for Apps, one for Homebrew, on for work, and one for preferences)

Is it possible to change this whitout preware?

What do you dislike?
    Last edited by DirkGently; 01/07/2011 at 12:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
    1. "Just type" Top-Bar. I dont like it. Why must it be always visible. For me it was better in 1.4.5 when i just popped up by typing. Can i return it to this behaviour? (Quick actions are superb! Have been long looking for something like this)

2. Application-Cards: Why did they choose to seperate them. When sliding there is always a break between the cards. I liked to fix background (which is very monoton and boring, no gradient,...) of the old webOS more, cause there was no irritation when brwsing fast between to pages. (More cards is superb. I will use one for Apps, one for Homebrew, on for work, and one for preferences)
    Don't think those are designs fails at all.
    1. just type bar is there for two reason. 1 being keyboardless devices and 2nd believe it or not there are people who don't know you can just type.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    Don't think those are designs fails at all.
    1. just type bar is there for two reason. 1 being keyboardless devices and 2nd believe it or not there are people who don't know you can just type.
    That saying I remember seeing a "Just Type options" app so I'm guessing there is an option to take out the bar whenever we want.
    as far as i know the just type options only include add/remove quickactions and search engines, but no option for the visibility

Keyboardless devices is a very good complain, didnt toughed about this
    as far as i know the just type options only include add/remove quickactions and search engines, but no option for the visibility

Keyboardless devices is a very good complain, didnt toughed about this
    I've seen a lot of screenshots of 2.0, but have never seen an option to hide the 'Just Type' bar. There's no doubt that one of the main reasons HPalm made it visible is so people new to webOS will know the feature exists.
    I think you can click the just type bar and it will give you a history of what you typed. Pretty convenient if you know you typed something once and don't want to slide out the keyboard.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    The bad thing about all this is that it has been stated by people already that the launcher/home screen wasnt able to be patched. Im hoping this will change when the 2.0 SDK is available to the public but I dont know. If the launchers have to be separated, I think it might be kinda cool if one day we can have a different background for each page to go with the kind of apps on that page.
    different backgrounds or colors would be nice and would justify the new style (with gap between diffrent launchers/app-pages)

But if they are all the same it makes no sense for me. It just distrcting and ugly (imho)
    different backgrounds or colors would be nice and would justify the new style (with gap between diffrent launchers/app-pages)

But if they are all the same it makes no sense for me. It just distrcting and ugly (imho)
    I agree. The gaps were the first thing I noticed and didnt really know what I thought about them. I'm just hoping that 2.0 is just the foundation of what they plan to do with it. Only time will tell.
    Hi there, i do know that webOS 2.x is not out yet for all devices and i had not used it at the moment (Pre2 not available here) but i have seen a lot of pictures and movies showing it and i just wanted to state what the have changed for the worse, maybe someone with webOS 2.x can tell me if this is changeable.

2. Application-Cards: Why did they choose to seperate them. When sliding there is always a break between the cards. I liked the old background (the new is very monoton and boring, no gradient,...) of the old webOS more, cause there was no irritation when brwsing fast between to pages. (More cards is superb. I will use one for Apps, one for Homebrew, on for work, and one for preferences)

Is it possible to change this whitout preware?

What do you dislike?
    It's interesting that you have drawn these conclusions without actually having used it.

item 1) Wait until you've used it. from the photos I've seen, it is only visible when the launcher pages are open or you are in card view. I've never seen a picture where it was visible or in the way of anything.

item 2) Cards. Until we have the chance to use "stacks", it's hard to imagine drawing any conclusions. However, if you don't want gaps, turn on advanced gestures (available in webOS of at least all of 2010) and then move between cards using a full swipe in the gesture area. That's what I do, and it sounds like what you are asking for.

I'm sure you will have options within webOS and from patches in Preware. If you saw a video of the original webOS a couple of years ago, it probably didn't look desirable. But we all get hooked after using it for a little while. You owe it to yourself to do that before drawing such conclusions. And also remember that Palm will continue to develop and enhance so they will be able to add/change things as customers ask for it...
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    The bad thing about all this is that it has been stated by people already that the launcher/home screen wasnt able to be patched. Im hoping this will change when the 2.0 SDK is available to the public but I dont know. If the launchers have to be separated, I think it might be kinda cool if one day we can have a different background for each page to go with the kind of apps on that page.
    Did they say it "couldn't" be, or that it couldn't be in the sense of the mega-advanced-everything patch that we all like? Can you post a link? I don't remember reading can't so much as it will be different. But my memory is fuzzy so please provide a link or whatever you can find. Thanks!

I think I'm going to miss the "mini-card view" but I can't know that until I've had it for a few days... It's always best to start with a stock configuration until you've learned what the designers had in mind. Then start customizing. If you don't, you become one of those people that still uses the Windows2000 UI on XP or Vista... and never get the benefit of improvements. They've had a lot of time to develop what they couldn't fit in before the initial launch, and they've had almost 2 years of customer feedback. Let's assume that they will improve things until we see otherwise. Especially since the UI is their biggest differentiator...
    I believe the just type being visible at all times also has a lot to do with a potential slab phone (sans physical keyboard).

Think about it, how else would the phone know to turn on the virtual keyboard?

Keep in mind, this is all speculative.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Launcher cant be patched but i havnt heard that the just type bar cant be patched. That would suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    I believe the just type being visible at all times also has a lot to do with a potential slab phone (sans physical keyboard).

Think about it, how else would the phone know to turn on the virtual keyboard?

Keep in mind, this is all speculative.
    True, but for existing phones with keyboards, they should put in a version with the option to hide it. They could sence we still dont have 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Did they say it "couldn't" be, or that it couldn't be in the sense of the mega-advanced-everything patch that we all like? Can you post a link? I don't remember reading can't so much as it will be different. But my memory is fuzzy so please provide a link or whatever you can find. Thanks!
    Sconix (the creator of the Advanced Config for App Launcher patch) talks about it a bit:

Other than that I don't plan to work on this patch anymore since in webOS 2.0 the launcher is not patcheable I have few tricks in my sleeve that I am trying for the launcher in 2.0.0, but so far those tricks haven't panned out, but I have had so little time to inspect them that there still might be some hope.
    item 2) Cards. Until we have the chance to use "stacks", it's hard to imagine drawing any conclusions. However, if you don't want gaps, turn on advanced gestures (available in webOS of at least all of 2010) and then move between cards using a full swipe in the gesture area. That's what I do, and it sounds like what you are asking for.
    I think he meant in the launcher. When you go from page to page, theres a little gap. Its kinda weird how they did that.

I dont have any links. Its just what people have been commenting. I dont know for sure because I dont have 2.0 yet. But im going off of the people who have tried already. Some of the people here on the forums that do themes and patches have stated this.
    Just type is only visible on your 'desktop' or in minimized card view.
    In launcher screens it becomes visible when you start typing.