Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am ready to buy the Pre 2 outright from Rogers to run on Bell's network, will i be able to unlock it? or will the phone will already be shipped unlocked?

9 days to go can't wait
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Was thinking of doing the same thing, so I'll be keeping a eye on this thread and see how you are doing. Good luck!!

Cheers,
    vespacar
    You will be able to buy the Palm Pre 2 unlocked directly from HP soon...

why buy the one on Rogers when you can get it straight from HP and not worry about it being locked?

That would be a foolish move IMO.
  4.    #4  
    Well I wouldn't really be buying the phone, I will exchange my Bell Pre for the Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    You will be able to buy the Palm Pre 2 unlocked directly from HP soon...

why buy the one on Rogers when you can get it straight from HP and not worry about it being locked?

That would be a foolish move IMO.
    HP hasn't announced that plan for Canada.

If you look at the Treo 850, it was sold unlocked in US, but not in Canada (Telus CDMA exclusive).
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    If we buy a pre 2 from HP or Rogers, I assume that it will ship with WEBOS 2.0. Will we then be able to access the app catalogue? Will we have to wait for Bell specific OS updates or will there be non carrier specific updates fro HP?
    I am not sure that I care to make what would (from the info so far) seem to be only a small upgrade from an overclocked Pre to the Pre2. However, getting away from what I fear will become Bell's lack of support for this platform seems like something that will put me over on this decision.
    I'm waiting for the developer devices to be available. Maybe you should consider opening a developer account (for free) to get a discounted Pre 2 unlocked?

Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    If we buy a pre 2 from HP or Rogers, I assume that it will ship with WEBOS 2.0. Will we then be able to access the app catalogue? Will we have to wait for Bell specific OS updates or will there be non carrier specific updates fro HP?
    I am not sure that I care to make what would (from the info so far) seem to be only a small upgrade from an overclocked Pre to the Pre2. However, getting away from what I fear will become Bell's lack of support for this platform seems like something that will put me over on this decision.
    I don't recall there were distinction by carrier in the US for the App Catalog. US app catalog was just US app catalog.

Any carrier specific apps would be in the Doctor (i.e. ships with phone).
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

it would depend on if the 1.4.5 unlock works with 2.0.. Time will tell with that

I haven't decided yet what I will do. These are the options I see fit:

1) stay with horrible bell with the pre, wait for ces to see what's coming and chance it that bell will take a new device
    2) switch back to rogers for the pre2, hope rogers isn't fashionably late like always to carry new products and hope whatever is unveiled at ces rogers will take (doubt it)
    3) get pre 2 on rogers, buy whatever new device is unlocked and stay
    4) keep my pre on bell, buy whatever is new unlocked and upgrade

it will obviously hit canada on one of the carriers (lets not forget telus.. Still no webos love there yet) its just a matter of what move to make
    It would be neat if it worked, but Rogers will be charging...what? $599 without a contract? I can't see spending that much money for an incremental upgrade in hardware/functionality. Still, I am bookmarking this thread.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

My money is on 499.

599 is a VERY tough sell against the Bell Galaxy S which is going for 499, and the Telus Desire which is 449.

I want to unlock one and go back to fido so i can actually use most then 200 minutes without it costing and arm and a leg and then some. when will rogers and Bell have the everything plans. grrrr
    short response: never

just read an article in the paper the other day... Complaints are still on the rise for the big 3 w/ bell leading the way with more than half

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    I want to unlock one and go back to fido so i can actually use most then 200 minutes without it costing and arm and a leg and then some. when will rogers and Bell have the everything plans. grrrr
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    Thats a really good question i never consider and know the question too.
    however i would think that it will be shipped with 2.0 and whenever there is a update i will have to Doctor and unlock it again after upgrade. If HP is able to release an OS that not carried specified would be great of them.
    Its not a small upgrade for me because i have the first gen Pre and the way i use my phone it gets very slow. plus my battery only last me 4 hours max with heavy use.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    I'm waiting for the developer devices to be available. Maybe you should consider opening a developer account (for free) to get a discounted Pre 2 unlocked?

I am exchanging my phone so i will not be paying for the upgrade.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    it would depend on if the 1.4.5 unlock works with 2.0.. Time will tell with that

I haven't decided yet what I will do. These are the options I see fit:

1) stay with horrible bell with the pre, wait for ces to see what's coming and chance it that bell will take a new device
    2) switch back to rogers for the pre2, hope rogers isn't fashionably late like always to carry new products and hope whatever is unveiled at ces rogers will take (doubt it)
    3) get pre 2 on rogers, buy whatever new device is unlocked and stay
    4) keep my pre on bell, buy whatever is new unlocked and upgrade

it will obviously hit canada on one of the carriers (lets not forget telus.. Still no webos love there yet) its just a matter of what move to make
    wow thats tough decision.
    I have been with Bell ever since they have release the Pre and no issues with them, however with rogers i always had billing problems which i hate.

BTW if u have never called Telus call center before i suggest u do... because most of the girls you will talk too sounds pretty HOT. LOL
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by DS_Palm_Lvr View Post
    It would be neat if it worked, but Rogers will be charging...what? $599 without a contract? I can't see spending that much money for an incremental upgrade in hardware/functionality. Still, I am bookmarking this thread.
    at the end of the day its a hardware upgrade which i need.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    short response: never

just read an article in the paper the other day... Complaints are still on the rise for the big 3 w/ bell leading the way with more than half
    If anyone wants to read that article here it is.

Bell, Telus, Rogers draw ire of complainants

Canada's big three wireless carriers Bell, Telus and Rogers had the most complaints lodged with Canada's Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services. For the first time, more than half the complaints were about wireless services.

The independent agency has representatives of major telecom companies on its board and helps mediate customer complaints within the industry. The agency said 51.7 per cent of the 3,747 complaints it has handled last year were for wireless service. Home phone and voice over Internet protocol (VoIP) were next, comprising 23.7 per cent of the total.

The complaints about wireless services, such as cellphones, come as more and more consumers switch to mobile. Canadian companies are investing billions of dollars to build advanced networks. The complicated nature of the technology, along with its growing use and the tendency of consumers to sign long-term contracts without reading fine print, mean telecom is one of the most complained about industries.

Most of the dissatisfaction was related to billing errors (44 per cent) or contract disputes (35 per cent).

With files from CP

here is the link.
    Bell, Telus, Rogers draw ire of complainants - The Globe and Mail
    I'll wait 2 months, and see what gets announced at ces2011.

Heres hopping omap4 phones will be announced. Also, the developer discount will only be for "qualifying" devs. No idea what you need to do to qualify, but I'm pretty sure it's slightly more complicated then making an account..
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I'll wait 2 months, and see what gets announced at ces2011.

Heres hopping omap4 phones will be announced. Also, the developer discount will only be for "qualifying" devs. No idea what you need to do to qualify, but I'm pretty sure it's slightly more complicated then making an account..
    lol.... im pretty sure HP will not be giving away phone for signing up.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast