Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Lets say... Verizon was the only company to carry the Pre2. Would it make sense for the developers of the kernels, and patches to update them. What do you think?
    Well, it's a good thing the Pre2 is already released on another carrier and it confirmed to be released on even more carriers...
    Also, patches aren't based on hardware. Devs will update their patches and themes for webOS2.0. 2.0 will be the same on the Pre/Pixi/Pre2, so that won't be a problem.
    Would be better to know when WebOS 2.0 will be on all carriers. I don't understand how Palm is following the Apple model of making the hardware/software and controlling the OTA updates, yet the first major full point release of their OS is trapped on one handset with every other device getting it "in the coming months", which is subject to individual carrier holdup.
  5.    #5  
    @ Garrett92C..Actually, I was talking about here in the states. Guess I was being a little bit selfish.. I totally forget about those outside of the states. I was thinking about Sprint and AT&T customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Also, patches aren't based on hardware. Devs will update their patches and themes for webOS2.0. 2.0 will be the same on the Pre/Pixi/Pre2, so that won't be a problem.
    exactly, the only thing is going to be the kernels, and hp said they are selling palmpre2 unlocked to qualified developers for a highly discounted price. Considering they flew in an internalz developer from Australia, I'm sure homebrew devs qualify.
    Im pretty sure developers will support the pre 2, along with the other aging devices. Other then the patchs, and themes of course any additional Kernel work done on the Pre 2, will obviously be seperate.
  8.    #8  
    Like most of the ones in preware that haven't been updated since 1.4.5. You forget to put in parenthesis (IMO)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Like most of the ones in preware that haven't been updated since 1.4.5. You forget to put in parenthesis (IMO)
    Hmm? "Like most of the ones in preware that haven't been updated since 1.4.5". What do you mean?
    ???
  11.    #11  
    Hmm? "Like most of the ones in preware that haven't been updated since 1.4.5". What do you mean?
    There are a couple patches from the previous update that is still not available for 1.4.5. I'm just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    There are a couple patches from the previous update that is still not available for 1.4.5. I'm just saying.
    Well of course there are. Sometimes Devs move to a different platform. Sometimes the new version of webOS includesthe pach's functionality. Sometimes there just isn't a demand for the patch, so the Dev doesn't waste their time updating it.

Most times, someone else will step in and update another Dev's patch if need be.

I thought this was common knowledge... I don't think people really expect EVERY single patch to be updated to work with the newest webOS version.
    The title of the thread suggests that patch developers check what carrier a phone is on ( VZW )and then alter their patch to only work with that carrier?

Maybe the intended title should be: Will patch developers alter their patches to work with what may seem to be an initial limited roll-out to select carriers? But then all phones are slated for the 2.0 update so hmmm...

Unless the patch targets specific hardware in the the Pre2, it should not be a worry as the patches tend to target the OS. Of course the hardware-centric related patches may need to be segregated if the drivers are different... (led light, camera, audio hardware, etc...)
    Last edited by Mannyman; 10/31/2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: typo
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
    The problem here is w/o a device w/ 2.0 or the officially released sdk it will be impossible to test patches. As for your original question it doesnt matter what carrier you are on, once the device or SDK is made available to devs, Patches and apps will get updated.

As for Kernels both are required, The SDK and A device running 2.0
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Unless there are different versions of 2.0 for each carrier, then your question can't be answered with a yes/no.
    <thread cleaned> Please remember that if you ask a question, you may not agree with the replies. Thanks
  17.    #17  
    I agree.
    Thanks for taking care of that, NNNewman! Much better now.
  19.    #19  
    Thanks for taking care of that, NNNewman! Much better now.
    LOL. I guess it goes for every forum members.
    or not
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast