Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67
  1.    #1  
    Engadget:
    We've been toying with a Palm Pre 2 for a few weeks now, but given that it's not "final hardware," we can't exactly make any firm judgments on the unit itself. Tim Pettitt, product manager for HP Palm, can. In speaking with MarkGuim.tv (and slyly handling a Verizon Pre 2), he not only confirmed that the company was relying on a layer of the famed Gorilla Glass to keep the front as scratch-resistant as possible, but also that the five megapixel camera is capable of capturing a shot every second. More importantly, however, he made clear that it wouldn't be just the developers nabbing an unlocked GSM Pre 2. According to Tim, that very handset will be "available direct from HP.com," though he stopped short of saying whether it would support T-Mobile's AWS 3G band. For AT&T loyalists, however, we're guessing this may be the best way to nab webOS on the network that's still rethinking possible.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  2. sylau90's Avatar
    Posts
    128 Posts
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Engadget:
    We've been toying with a Palm Pre 2 for a few weeks now, but given that it's not "final hardware," we can't exactly make any firm judgments on the unit itself. Tim Pettitt, product manager for HP Palm, can. In speaking with MarkGuim.tv (and slyly handling a Verizon Pre 2), he not only confirmed that the company was relying on a layer of the famed Gorilla Glass to keep the front as scratch-resistant as possible, but also that the five megapixel camera is capable of capturing a shot every second. More importantly, however, he made clear that it wouldn't be just the developers nabbing an unlocked GSM Pre 2. According to Tim, that very handset will be "available direct from HP.com," though he stopped short of saying whether it would support T-Mobile's AWS 3G band. For AT&T loyalists, however, we're guessing this may be the best way to nab webOS on the network that's still rethinking possible.
    Hope that is true...One big move by HP Palm,expand the market globally...please open the app catalog accessibility too...
  3. #3  
    I really hope that they will soon open the App Catalog to all WebOS devices.
    I doubt they will open App Catalog to the new Pre2 and leave it closed to old Pre and Pre Plus.
  4. #4  
    Does this mean that AT&T will not subsidize the phone? That does not sound like very good news. Unlocked phones do not do well, here. Also, will AT&T be carrying it, or is it just available direct from HP?
  5. #5  
    Actually it is. AT&T just started raping people with their raised ETF, and high no contract and high early upgrade prices. The only phone worth buying from them is the iPhone, the way they have made it. iPhone is exempt(except for the ETF) of those raised prices, I understand.

    I'd rather buy the phone outright than get bent over by them!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'd rather buy the phone outright than get bent over by them!!
    I'm glad that buying direct works for you. But, you surely must realize what a small minority you represent. If I get this right, AT&T will not actually be carrying or supporting the product. That essentially means that no ordinary consumer will buy a P2 for the AT&T network. For all practical purposes, Verizon has a US exclusive.
  7. #7  
    AT&T doesn't treat any other phone right anyway. Which is what I was trying to say. It may be bad for Palm if they want US GSM sales. However AT&T really doesn't make things easy unless you have an iPhone. They raised the smartphone rates really high if you want a smartphone with less hoops attached. Should anyone want to upgrade to the Pre 2 now(or soon), they will have to pay more or just suffer for 2 years and just hope a Pre 3 comes out.

    Well, maybe they can get new customers entirely. That's the only way I can see the Pre 2 effectively being sold on AT&T subsidized. Existing Pre or any other smartphone customers are out, unless they want to pay,
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8. #8  
    TPD, your argument seems to be missing the point. This is not about the iPhone, or how evil AT&T is. Those are just ways to deflect from the fact that yet another carrier of the Pre opted not to do so this time around. Clearly, HP is having a hard time convincing carriers to get on board with this device.

    If anything, AT&T would be more, not less willing to carry the P2, as they may be losing iPhone exclusivity. They have eagerly hopped in bed with MS, and are actively diversifying their lineup. They already carry the Pre +. There is no good reason for them not to carry the P2 other than poor, prior experience that seems to run deep with a lot of carriers. This is HP's problem, not AT&T's , and certainly not Apple's.
  9. #9  
    If AT&T decided not to carry it, so be it. My point was it wouldn't be a good experience anyway. At least not for existing customers. But even new customers get slapped with a high ETF and the same upgrade or no-contract restrictions. This particular phone isn't worth all that.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    If AT&T decided not to carry it, so be it. My point was it wouldn't be a good experience anyway. At least not for existing customers. But even new customers get slapped with a high ETF and the same upgrade or no-contract restrictions. This particular phone isn't worth all that.
    How is it any different with Verizon?
  11. #11  
    Can't existing customers upgrade easier? The last time I was on Verizon, it wasn't a pain in the wallet to upgrade. I know they raised their ETF and I don't know what the no-contract price will be.

    But AT&T just ruined me from buying just about any phone through them but the iPhone with their new pricing. And I'd rather just buy from Apple at this point.

    P. S. I just checked and yes Verizon still offers 1 yr. contracts. With AT&T, I believe early upgrades are 18 months and they just raised the early upgrade price if you're upgrading to another smartphone. That's $200 plus the price of the new phone, isn't it?

    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...ore-expensive/
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 10/30/2010 at 06:20 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  12. double1's Avatar
    Posts
    323 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sylau90 View Post
    Hope that is true...One big move by HP Palm,expand the market globally...please open the app catalog accessibility too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankk View Post
    I really hope that they will soon open the App Catalog to all WebOS devices.
    I doubt they will open App Catalog to the new Pre2 and leave it closed to old Pre and Pre Plus.
    I'm glad to see i'm not the only one who cares about this.

    Open the app catalog and expand your customer base to you. You own webos why let cellular carrier dictate to your customers what they can and cannot purchase from your newly designed app catalog? It would make 0 sense for HP not to open their app catalog. I will personally spend at least $100 on apps but I refuse to spend $90 a month at sprint when I can use wi-fi and skype to make free phone calls over VOIP.
    Last edited by double1; 10/31/2010 at 03:20 AM.
  13. sylau90's Avatar
    Posts
    128 Posts
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by double1 View Post
    I'm glad to see i'm not the only one who cares about this.

    Open the app catalog and expand your customer base to you. You own webos why let cellular carrier dictate to your customers what they can and cannot purchase from your newly designed app catalog? It would make 0 sense for HP not to open their app catalog. I will personally spend at least $100 on apps but I refuse to spend $90 a month at sprint when I can use wi-fi and skype to make free phone calls over VOIP.
    Yea,Thats true...personally I think that expand the app catalog & app catalog desktop client are the vital part compared to the carriers. Firstly, number of developers will increase significantly from all over the world,& it is less costly to import phone to all the countries. Furthermore, many webOS enthusiasts can buy unlocked device easily, but now the only problem is just activation process. HP Palm should open the app catalog to penetrate the market first, rather than persuade or spend money to ask carriers to sell their phone. Personally, I think that it is a good idea to sell P2 on HP official website than through AT&T,if HP want to expand their market globally.

    1)expand app catalog
    2)sell the P2 through official website in every country(no contract&HP can gain higher profit margin maybe),Furthermore, sometimes subsidized phones are not cheap as well+2years contract...inflation or unemployed...you also have to pay the F...king bill, unlike direct purchase from the manufacturer...lets say,the $400,you spend today,the value is still $400.However,if you sign the contract,lets say $30 per month,maybe the value of $30 is just for this month...and next month your income might influence by taxes,expenses or etc....
    3)Free devices to developers
    4)Host webOS talks in Universities(the future developers,implant the concept of webOS to them&give them a special profit if they sell apps on app catalog)
    5).....etc....many...
  14. #14  
    Open app catalog widely is most important thing for me.
  15.    #15  
    I agree H/P should introduce Palm pre-2 on every single network in US and as many countries as possible. IPhone is sold in 90 countries, why cant palm pre-2 be sold in 91 countries with app catalog available in 91 countries? Take this responsibility off palm and H/P should use their muscles to make this happen, like in next 3-4 months. Introduce one new country a week, how is that?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  16. #16  
    It is realistic having in mind HP worldwide presence. HP is everywhere. Apple is a baby in that area compared to HP. But, only problem is how serious HP considers its Palm purchase and smartphone market. I can't stop thinking that HP bought Palm mostly because it was cheap.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I agree H/P should introduce Palm pre-2 on every single network in US and as many countries as possible. IPhone is sold in 90 countries, why cant palm pre-2 be sold in 91 countries with app catalog available in 91 countries?
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    It is realistic having in mind HP worldwide presence. HP is everywhere. Apple is a baby in that area compared to HP.
    Ah, HP's mythical leverage and reach and marketing muscle... There have been more sightings of Big Foot, than HP's strength in the cell phone business. Apple's a baby compared to HP? Really? There is not a carrier in the world that wouldn't execute their entire executive team in order to get the iPhone.

    HP, on the other hand, can't pay the carriers to take the Pre in Germany. HP can't even get the phone carried by two of the three networks it has partnerships with right here at home.

    Apple is a Baby? HP has global reach and marketing muscle? Really. If I close my eyes and click my heels three times, will I, too, end up in this alternate dimension? All kidding aside, it's hard to take any of this seriously when such over-the-top fantasy keeps getting stated as reality.
  18. #18  
    maybe hpalm aren't meaning to get the pre 2 everywhere. Maybe they'll wait for their new devices
  19. #19  
    @ dandbj13
    First, to take smartphones aside,
    HP has enormous global reach and is bigger company than Apple. Also, HP is present almost in any country, with global net of business partners. This is a fact not a fantasy. Apple's global reach is nowhere near as HP's. How many Branch offices over the world has Apple? How many government deals over the world has Apple? Would HP use those worldwide liaisons to promote and push Palm handheld devices is jet to be seen, but you cant minimize HP, and its business strength just because Palm Pre2 suck and you think WebOS is doomed. Also, you cant maximize Apple's global position as a company because every carrier wants an Iphone.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    @ dandbj13
    First, to take smartphones aside,
    You can't just set smartphones aside. That's the whole point. It doesn't matter how many printers HP sells. It doesn't matter how many countries they have offices in. If we were talking about the cheap laptop business, HP's global reach would matter. We're not. We're talking about smartphones.

    You realize HP has been selling smartphones for much of the decade. Set Palm aside. HP has never been successful at selling smartphones, in spite of their reach. Their business partners carry BlackBerries and WinMo phones, not anything by HP. Why? Because they have no reach in the smartphone arena, and never have. If anything, the acquisition of Palm and the release of the P2 has shrunk their reach. You are living in a fantasy if you think otherwise.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions