Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    ROW devices, or however HP intend to call unlocked devices should first get new software updates because no carrier approval is needed. Some devices locked to certain network can get intermediate software update or fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    How exactly would this work for updates to webOS? If I buy the gsm Pre2 unlocked will I be able to get OVA updates once HP pushes it out, or will I still have to wait for carrier approval. After being burned by the late 1.45 update for the ATT Pixi Plus (which I actually got on Craigslist) I'd pay extra to avoid the carrier's BS. I hope HP sells the Pre2 for about $300 unlocked...

Did HP mention if the unlocked Pre2 comes with the Mobile Hotspot app?
    It will cost about $400 (SFR sells it unlocked at 399 euro.

You'll get a full featured phone out of the box, without need of carrier's approval on updates, or need of agreements with carriers to be able to use things like mobile hotspot.

Here in Europe, with Virtual Mobile Carriers (+50% off), it's a great deal to buy unlocked phones.
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by autodidact View Post
    How did it come to the point where the bloody carriers control what we want. I so hate it as I would never sign up on a contract for years to end. I want freedom to chose both hardware and carrier, and those greedy large scale carriers with the low scale service mindset ain't ever gonna get my money!
    thats what it seems though huh, I agree with you. I might just cut my contract with sprint, and use my AT&T sim card unclock it and use phones that way, and try and pay a off contract monthly fee, if thats possiable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    It seems like you guys think the Nexus One was the first phone to be sold unlocked. Multiple flavors of Treo have been sold this way, so this is really nothing new for Palm. Lots of people here are happy about it because some people really need an unlocked phone. The fact that the Pre was not sold directly by Palm as an unlocked device was actually a bit of a departure and a disappointment to some.
    But the Nexus One model was unique in that it was the only place where the new OS version could be had for some time, and it will get updates before other devices going forth because there is no carrier interference. When Treos were being sold unlocked, there was so little progress on PalmOS, this (and the possibility of OS fragmentation going forward) was an irrelevant factor. That is most certainly NOT the case now.
    If the GSM model works with T-Mobile, I may switch. I would much rather buy a phone from the manufacure, than the provider. Im sure you would get quicker updates and less carrier crapware. AT&T is not a option.
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddct View Post
    If the GSM model works with T-Mobile, I may switch. I would much rather buy a phone from the manufacure, than the provider. Im sure you would get quicker updates and less carrier crapware. AT&T is not a option.
    Yea,absolutely...it can,but maybe the speed you can get on Tmo is just EDGE,not 3G...due to the network band...
    <<Threads merged>>
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234