Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    So, went to HP's website to look at the info, what little there is, on the Pre 2. Then, I segued into the trade-in program. (see related topic post here: HP Trade-In Program for Pre (- & +)
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I just wonder what the incentive is for paying hundreds for this versus buying a $100 used Pre Plus from eBay or Craiglist? You might say 2.0, but since so few handsets use it now, there's little financial incentive to try and make an app to sell to such a tiny pool of customers when you could develop for 1.4.5 and get the entire WebOS userbase now. Who knows when 2.0 will be available for them? Certainly not HP.

This just seems like yet another barrier to entry for 2.0 development.

The pre2 is just a bone Palm is throwing out in the backyard to quiet the dogs until they go full blast next year. I gotta admit If I didn't have an overclocked pre plus that I bought this past August off of ebay, I'd get that bone.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbriar511 View Post
    The pre2 is just a bone Palm is throwing out in the backyard to quiet the dogs until they go full blast next year. I gotta admit If I didn't have an overclocked pre plus that I bought this past August off of ebay, I'd get that bone.
    Based on the reaction on this site and elsewhere, does it really seem like any dogs were "quieted"? Based on it only being available on handful of carriers, does it really seem feasible as the ideal development device when so few users of an already small demographic will be able to use your apps?

Just seems like the answer to both of those critical questions is "No".
    When I first saw the headline on PC about a GSM P2 sold direct from HP, I was shocked by the positive spin put on the story. This is not good news. It just means that AT&T wouldn't bite on another Palm product, like a lot of other carriers.

On the upside, carriers have a safe way for the P2 to run on their networks without having to actually carry or support it. The downside is outside of a few thousand developers, no one is going to buy the P2 that way.

Even worse new, devs have even less incentive to code for wOS as the phone will not even be an option for purchase by customers who buy phones from carriers. How is any of this good news?
    We originally bought our Treo/Handspring phones direct from Handspring/Palm, why not now?
    I just wonder what the incentive is for paying hundreds for this versus buying a $100 used Pre Plus from eBay or Craiglist? You might say 2.0, but since so few handsets use it now, there's little financial incentive to try and make an app to sell to such a tiny pool of customers when you could develop for 1.4.5 and get the entire WebOS userbase now. Who knows when 2.0 will be available for them? Certainly not HP.

This just seems like yet another barrier to entry for 2.0 development.
    funny thats exactly what I just did (bought a VZ Pre Plus off ebay) to switch over my sprint phone to it. I agree who really knows when 2.0 will be available, and to me it seems HP will just be trying to push the Pre 2 running it, other then the older devices. Though thats a question, do the carriers already have it as stated by even precentral.net? To me the only way to capialize with 2.0 is really try to push the carriers to have it ready this month, with the launch of the Pre2.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    funny thats exactly what I just did (bought a VZ Pre Plus off ebay) to switch over my sprint phone to it. I agree who really knows when 2.0 will be available, and to me it seems HP will just be trying to push the Pre 2 running it, other then the older devices. Though thats a question, do the carriers already have it as stated by even precentral.net? To me the only way to capialize with 2.0 is really try to push the carriers to have it ready this month, with the launch of the Pre2.
    I'm sure they "pushed the carriers" to get 1.4.5 out too, and that didn't go so hot. Just like the Palm person telling us to beg carriers to carry the Pre 2, I remember Rahul Sood asking people on Twitter to tell the carriers to release 1.4.5. Seems like HP's "scale" and "leverage" is non-existent when it comes to carrier negotiations.

With it being November, and they still claim "coming months" as a timeframe, I hold out no hope for OS parity across carriers and devices.
    I'm sure they "pushed the carriers" to get 1.4.5 out too, and that didn't go so hot. Just like the Palm person telling us to beg carriers to carry the Pre 2, I remember Rahul Sood asking people on Twitter to tell the carriers to release 1.4.5. Seems like HP's "scale" and "leverage" is non-existent when it comes to carrier negotiations.

With it being November, and they still claim "coming months" as a timeframe, I hold out no hope for OS parity across carriers and devices.
    true good point.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    When I first saw the headline on PC about a GSM P2 sold direct from HP, I was shocked by the positive spin put on the story. This is not good news. It just means that AT&T wouldn't bite on another Palm product, like a lot of other carriers.

On the upside, carriers have a safe way for the P2 to run on their networks without having to actually carry or support it. The downside is outside of a few thousand developers, no one is going to buy the P2 that way.

Even worse new, devs have even less incentive to code for wOS as the phone will not even be an option for purchase by customers who buy phones from carriers. How is any of this good news?
    You can't really measure it at this moment. We don't know exactly what's going to happen with carriers (except Sprint, but...) in the US, and we also don't know what's going to happen with european carriers.

SFR is under Vodafone's umbrella, so it's not crazy to think that the Pre 2 will be available under it's network on different countries, if the phone sales performs well.

Also, I can tell you that there is a lot of people here in Spain that didn't bought the original Pre because of the carrier, and would have purchased an unlocked one. Each day more and more users are searching for unsubsidized phones, they prefer to pay the full price, and make their carrier choice.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    I probably could live without 3G, especially if the price was right. I use my Pre mostly as a portable email device, and only occasionally use it to browse the web. But I'm curious what my options would be either way. Because I really would like a faster phone (as in, faster processor) but I'm not willing to pay Verizon's fees. Even the Sprint fees are pushing my limits, and I'm contemplating one of the Android devices I could get on Virgin.
    So you're in the US. That's easy. One is AT&T, and it's expected that Pre 2 will have AT&T 3G bands. Or T-Mobile, and that would likely be EDGE. Usually only phones meant directly for T-Mobile USA have the 1700/2100 AWS bands you need for 3G. If you're lucky and have a regional GSM carrier(Cincinnati Bell is one), them too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11.    #51  
    I wonder if H/P should come out a dumb-phone version of pre or maybe pixi already qualifies for it. I think they should make a push to sell pixi to third world countries who cant afford much.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I don't get it. Haven't people on this forum been asking for an unlocked Pre sold directly through Palm since it was launched? That's what they are doing now and people still aren't happy?
    Pity they didn't do that 18 months ago. I think its great that HP are doing this. Hopefully its more like the Treo 680 which had locked and unlocked GSM models that worked on AT&T and not the Treo Pro which was unlocked only.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm sure that the carriers are thrilled about this.
    How did it come to the point where the bloody carriers control what we want. I so hate it as I would never sign up on a contract for years to end. I want freedom to chose both hardware and carrier, and those greedy large scale carriers with the low scale service mindset ain't ever gonna get my money!
    HP website only shows phones in the US version.

I can't find them on any of the European version of the site. Only Germany even mentions phones in the products list, but still doesn't list any.

Another missed opportunity.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    let's add some more fire the the doom-cast, come on people....

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    It aint a feeling. It's simple observation. I believe Google tried this exact strategy except T-Mobile sold it subsidized instead of Verizon doing it for the Palm Pre 2.

That turned out great, and that was with a popular software platform and top-notch hardware.
    It seems like you guys think the Nexus One was the first phone to be sold unlocked. Multiple flavors of Treo have been sold this way, so this is really nothing new for Palm. Lots of people here are happy about it because some people really need an unlocked phone. The fact that the Pre was not sold directly by Palm as an unlocked device was actually a bit of a departure and a disappointment to some.

I would also like to point out that there is a whole lot of certainty being thrown around here about things that are anything but certain.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  17.    #57  
    I hope all versions are available unlocked and more than that, pre-2 should be made available in Australia and BRIC nations
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    yea...+1...agree with you...should be available in Australia,BRIC nations and other asian countries.Anyway, app catalog is the major issues as well.HP should widen the accessibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm sure that the carriers are thrilled about this. It's one thing for Google to do it but another for a hardware manufacturer to try to bypass the carriers.

Why do I get the feeling that HP is doing this because the major carriers passed on the Pre 2?
    So your position is that carriers are bothered that they won't be subsidizing phones? I guess I"m not quite clear on the concept.

I don't think HP is going to be selling the phones below cost. Carriers subsidize phones to get folks to sign contracts. If folks buy their own phones and don't sign a contract, they still have to get service.

The purpose of the contract is two fold - to give some stabilization to the income flow, and to offset the cost of subsidizing the phone. Yes, the carrier looses the former, but they also don't have the problem of the latter. Sounds like a not-to-bad thing to me.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    How exactly would this work for updates to webOS? If I buy the gsm Pre2 unlocked will I be able to get OVA updates once HP pushes it out, or will I still have to wait for carrier approval. After being burned by the late 1.45 update for the ATT Pixi Plus (which I actually got on Craigslist) I'd pay extra to avoid the carrier's BS. I hope HP sells the Pre2 for about $300 unlocked...

Did HP mention if the unlocked Pre2 comes with the Mobile Hotspot app?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast