Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If I were to buy the unlocked GSM Pre, who could I buy data service from?
    ^That depends on the bands of the phone. Also in some cases, it may mean can you live without 3G?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I probably could live without 3G, especially if the price was right. I use my Pre mostly as a portable email device, and only occasionally use it to browse the web. But I'm curious what my options would be either way. Because I really would like a faster phone (as in, faster processor) but I'm not willing to pay Verizon's fees. Even the Sprint fees are pushing my limits, and I'm contemplating one of the Android devices I could get on Virgin.
    I don't get it. Haven't people on this forum been asking for an unlocked Pre sold directly through Palm since it was launched? That's what they are doing now and people still aren't happy?

Also HP is already pushing Palm handsets to all their corporate customers, which they have a lot of. We had a breifing with them a few months ago and they were pushing the Pre as an alternative to the Blackberries in our company. They are hitting this from all angles, and I really feel the Pre 2 is being positioned as a business device. The consumer devices we will probably see at CES.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    @dandbj13
    Listen, we are discussing in this thread possibility of global push through HP sales channels and not discussing HP's position in smart phone arena or lack of any position. We are not discussing will HP launch Pre2 globally.We are not discussing how it will be successful push/launch or how many or any HP business partners will swap to Palm Pre2. I'm just saying that HP can introduce Pre2 to a new country per week. And it can.
    One country per week. Hmm. Nice idea. That would make just about four years to start selling worldwide
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    @ dandbj13
    First, to take smartphones aside,
    HP has enormous global reach and is bigger company than Apple.
    Apple has a market value of $375 billion, HP is worth $95 billion - please define "bigger"?
    @dandbj13
    Listen, we are discussing in this thread possibility of global push through HP sales channels...
    There is no possibility of a global push through HP's sales channels. Just because they have places to sell printers and commodity PC's does not mean they have anywhere to sell phones. They are completely different animals. Your point might be valid if we were talking about main-frames and a number of other products. It is meaningless when it comes to phones.

Again, HP has never been able to sell phones successfully in any country, to any partner, at any volume, even when they were bigger than Apple. They are clearly not the company you imagine them to be.

we are {...} not discussing HP's position in smart phone arena or lack of any position. We are not discussing will HP launch Pre2 globally.We are not discussing how it will be successful push/launch or how many or any HP business partners will swap to Palm Pre2.
    That pretty much tosses aside every topic that matters regarding an unlocked, GSM phone. What are you discussing, again?

I'm just saying that HP can introduce Pre2 to a new country per week. And it can.
    Where do you get that from? HP has never been able to do that. They couldn't do it before they bought Palm. The Pre does nothing to change that dynamic. Just because they have an office somewhere, or sell a printer somewhere, does not mean they have a channel there for selling phones. They can barely get it into one sales channel in America, where they live.

If you want to think realistically about the possibility of the P2's global potential, you have to let go of this myth about HP's influence int the global marketplace.
    Bigger in direct presence in other markets and in number of business partners worldwide. Simply, they can start selling Pre2 directly in more countries faster than Apple can start selling Iphone, aside fact that more people would like to own an Iphone.
    I don't like Pre2 concept, and I think it wont sell good. But calling HP cheap laptop manufacturer and minimizing it's corporate strength is not fair.
    But calling HP cheap laptop manufacturer and minimizing it's corporate strength is not fair.
    What has HP's corporate strength done for it in the cell phone market? In this discussion, that is the only place where corporate strength matters. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Apple has many times more corporate penetration with the iPhone, than HP has with any phone they have ever sold. They simply don't have the corporate strength you seem to think they do.

What they can do is sell direct from their website into a number of markets. Apple could do that. Any cheap, knock-off company can do that. That has nothing to do with reach, marketing push, or influence. HP is not a smartphone superpower; they are just a bit player in a crowded market, who will take any crumbs they can get. That is not a bad thing; it is just where they are right now. Any other view is just fantasy, IMO.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    It's not really worth discussing apple vs HP, the Iphone exists in a completely different league so the analysis is largely worthless. It's like comparing the career success of Will Smith against some soap actor.

I think the more apt point for discussion is how will WebOS will compete against W7 for 5th or 6th place in the smartphone marketplace. If it can't beat W7, you have to ask what's the point?
    Now of course this has already been heard of, that HP will sell the Pre 2 through them as well as some carriers. My question is according to this article it did not state, which carriers Foreign, or domestic it will carry the device for. It just states if you want one, you can get one so the question is does anyone know if this means all carriers?

Hp will flog palm pre 2 handsets - The Inquirer
    I believe it's unlocked GSM. If they have CDMA..now that would have been awesome.

regards,
    Probably GSM for the AT&T 3G bands only. Great for the rest of the world. Irrelevant and unsubsidized here in the US.

We'll see for certain when it's official.
    I'm a cdma sprint user, and I haven't seen or read anything about selling CDMA phones to us. What's up with that?
    yeah that makes sense GSM bands only.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm sure that the carriers are thrilled about this. It's one thing for Google to do it but another for a hardware manufacturer to try to bypass the carriers.

Why do I get the feeling that HP is doing this because the major carriers passed on the Pre 2?
    thats what I think too, that alot of carriers didnt want this version.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm sure that the carriers are thrilled about this. It's one thing for Google to do it but another for a hardware manufacturer to try to bypass the carriers.

Why do I get the feeling that HP is doing this because the major carriers passed on the Pre 2?
    It aint a feeling. It's simple observation. I believe Google tried this exact strategy except T-Mobile sold it subsidized instead of Verizon doing it for the Palm Pre 2.

That turned out great, and that was with a popular software platform and top-notch hardware.
    palm is selling them for the benefkt of developers around the world. Carriers won't care unless they sell them super-cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    palm is selling them for the benefkt of developers around the world. Carriers won't care unless they sell them super-cheap.
    I just wonder what the incentive is for paying hundreds for this versus buying a $100 used Pre Plus from eBay or Craiglist? You might say 2.0, but since so few handsets use it now, there's little financial incentive to try and make an app to sell to such a tiny pool of customers when you could develop for 1.4.5 and get the entire WebOS userbase now. Who knows when 2.0 will be available for them? Certainly not HP.

This just seems like yet another barrier to entry for 2.0 development.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast