Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    So I know that we got a third party reporter claiming the that Palm Pre 2 was Gorilla Glass, but this video has the Product Manager of the Palm Pre 2 at HP-Palm saying that it is infact gorilla glass.



    at 1:06.

    He also explains why they didnt go with an auto-focus camera: the wide depth of field camera does just as good of a job and you dont have to wait for it to focus, which is a nice thing about the Pre (you can take many pictures one after the other quickly in succession)
  2. #2  
    What i find interesting is that the unlocked GSM Pre 2 will be available from HP's website in the next coming months. (he said at the end of the video)
    Finally we all can get devices the regular way: just order it online without simlock.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing!
  3. #3  
    Off topic, but since when has ordering devices online without simlock been "the regular way"? Google had to stop that with the Nexus because people rejected the notion. The "regular" way is to walk into a shop and walk out with a phone.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Off topic, but since when has ordering devices online without simlock been "the regular way"? Google had to stop that with the Nexus because people rejected the notion. The "regular" way is to walk into a shop and walk out with a phone.
    The "regular" way varies widely depending on whether you live in a carrier-controlled ecosystem like the US, or whether your government requires by law that all cellular phones sold in that country are available unlocked (albeit at unsubsidised prices).

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5. #5  
    This is great news. Oh and you misspelled "Gorilla"
  6. #6  
    Are you still going to use a screen protector on the new glass screen?

    Loved hearing that last comment: "Unlocked GSM will be available directly from HP.COM." I am getting one!
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    ... explains why they didnt go with an auto-focus camera: the wide depth of field camera does just as good of a job and you dont have to wait for it to focus, which is a nice thing about the Pre (you can take many pictures one after the other quickly in succession)
    That's called spin. Funny autofocus works great on other phones. The Pre camera is pretty good, but it sucks not being able take pictures of items close up.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    That's called spin. Funny autofocus works great on other phones. The Pre camera is pretty good, but it sucks not being able take pictures of items close up.
    Yes, the Pre camera is pretty good, but we are talking about the Pre2 in this thread.

    Thank you for your input, but unless you have tried a Pre 2 camera you have no facts to bring to the table.

    While I have not used the Pre 2 camera, I am a media production graduate, and I do know that a larger depth of field can mean that you can take pictures up very close, if the DOF is tuned right.
  9. glenada's Avatar
    Posts
    777 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    So I know that we got a third party reporter claiming the that Palm Pre 2 was Gorilla Glass, but this video has the Product Manager of the Palm Pre 2 at HP-Palm saying that it is infact gorilla glass.



    at 1:06.

    He also explains why they didnt go with an auto-focus camera: the wide depth of field camera does just as good of a job and you dont have to wait for it to focus, which is a nice thing about the Pre (you can take many pictures one after the other quickly in succession)
    I bet Diane Fossey would've been happy.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Yes, the Pre camera is pretty good, but we are talking about the Pre2 in this thread.

    Thank you for your input, but unless you have tried a Pre 2 camera you have no facts to bring to the table.

    While I have not used the Pre 2 camera, I am a media production graduate, and I do know that a larger depth of field can mean that you can take pictures up very close, if the DOF is tuned right.
    For some camera discussion see this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...er-camera.html.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  11. #11  
    <<Thread title fixed>>
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Are you still going to use a screen protector on the new glass screen?

    Loved hearing that last comment: "Unlocked GSM will be available directly from HP.COM." I am getting one!

    I may not get a Pre 2 (Since I'm on Sprint), but if I did I probably would. I put Zagg Invisible Shields on all my Gadgets. Unless Gorilla Glass is as tough as Invisble Shield, I would continue to do so. Also, the Invisible Shields prevent a lot of that finger print grease that builds up on the screen.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Off topic, but since when has ordering devices online without simlock been "the regular way"? Google had to stop that with the Nexus because people rejected the notion. The "regular" way is to walk into a shop and walk out with a phone.
    You forgot the ball and chained for two years (three for Canada) part.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  14. BBooDad's Avatar
    Posts
    406 Posts
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    #14  
    Will have to see if this claim about the wide depth of field camera stands up to scanning barcodes, and taking pics of things that people don't want to write down, like printer ink #'s. (My Pre was blurry on those). I don't see how wide depth of field can change optics for close-in focusing.

    For landscapes, Pre has always been excellent though.
  15. #15  
    is it just me, or is anyone else having trouble getting this video to play on the pre? The circle just keeps spinning for me....
  16. #16  
    never mind...it works over 3G, not wifi...go fig.

    looking forward to it's release!
  17. thornev's Avatar
    Posts
    326 Posts
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    #17  
    Nothing in the video blows up my skirt. I want a keyboard that doesn't skip or stutter, access to older Palm apps. I'm dreaming, I know. I see a Blackberry in my future.
  18. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The "regular" way varies widely depending on whether you live in a carrier-controlled ecosystem like the US, or whether your government requires by law that all cellular phones sold in that country are available unlocked (albeit at unsubsidised prices).

    -- Rod
    Yeah, in the UK, we have a mixed economy - you can either be locked into a carrier subsided contract or you can buy an unlocked phone from any number of retailers at full price. I tend to buy my phones outright and this means that I am only on a month to month contract (which because I am not paying for a phone is about 50% cheaper - and over the life of the phone that covers the cost of the phone but without locking me in)
  19. #19  
    Just to clarify: this is real Gorilla Glass, not iPhone 4 Gorilla Glass.

  20. Fatfool's Avatar
    Posts
    224 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The "regular" way varies widely depending on whether you live in a carrier-controlled ecosystem like the US, or whether your government requires by law that all cellular phones sold in that country are available unlocked (albeit at unsubsidised prices).

    -- Rod
    Well, where I live (Singapore), you can either buy an unlocked phone at full price, or go with a carrier's plan and get a phone at a subsidised price...but still without a SIM lock. I didn't even know about SIM locking till I tried to get a Pre Plus.

    Apparently, it's illegal to SIM lock here.

Posting Permissions