Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel the coverage of the Pre 2's hardware has been unfairly negative.

It has a 1 GHz processor and 512 MB ram, and 5 mp camera. Isn't this same as most other "cutting edge" phones such as the iPhone 4, Droid X/Droid 2, HTC Evo/incredible, and Samsung Galaxy?

Am I wrong/mistaken on this?

Aside from a front-facing camera and high-resolution screen (iPhone 4), what do other "hot" phones have that the Pre 2 doesn't, in terms of hardware?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Larger screens.
    I hope that Jon Rubenstein is waking up screaming every night.
    It's the screen size and resolution that seems to be the biggest issue as it turns the Pre 2 into a mid range smart phone instead of the top of the range model that is apparently needed. I take it all with a pinch of salt, yes Palm could do with a top of the range model but the tech community isn't a viable measure of what the average consumer actively wants.
    steve jobs knows what people want! and tells them what they NEED!! lol
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Three things I would have liked are 4g, macro mode or auto-focus camera, and a compass. I wouldn't have been excited about a front facing camera or a bigger device but I'm sure that would have been important to many others.
    Not everyone wants a huge screen. I have no interest in a screen that is much larger than the current Pre. I tested out the Evo and the phone is too large to fit comfortably in my hand. The Epic wasn't much better. When I want a bigger screen, I'll shop for slate/tablet.
    I wouldn't get too hopped up on 4G.....yet....in Canada
    Fourth-generation wireless: A tale of two providers - The Globe and Mail
    This article written 06 October 2010 quoted as saying:
    "On the urban side, Rogers (RGI.B-T) announced it will be the first major provider to conduct technical trials of 4G long-term evolution (LTE) wireless technology, which has only been deployed in a handful of countries around the world. It is designed for smart phones and mobile Internet data sticks, and enables ultra-fast speeds on bandwidth-intensive downloads like high-definition video. "

Technical trials means maybe a city or two in the country have a 4G network set up and they are undergoing various optimization tests. ( I remember this from setting up the 3G networks in Alberta 2009). I'm not sure (hardware-wise) what is entailled as far as equipment, radios and lines and antennas, how labor intensive it is, as I've been out of that game for some time. I know that when we set up the 3G networks, once crews started getting the hang of the new system, we were banging off a site approximately every 2 days(site dependant of course). Tower sites were far faster to complete than rooftops, but rooftops generally are what's inside the cities. That being said, it took 9 months to get to an operational point where they could turn the system on and another 9 months to fill in the holes( that were mostly rural areas)

From what I understand, they have already completed these new sites in the USA, in a lot of areas.

I just wanted to put forward a timescale for the average consumer that doesn't realize what actually happens in the background. More so for the Canadian side, realistically, that's what we'd be looking at, and remember this is ONLY Roger's that is currently testing, so far.
    one of the biggest reason I got a pre is the size
    I love the pre's size. About the only things I wish for is an auto focus camera, sd slot and voice dial. Apps are the big things that are needed. Until there is comparable app counts to android webos is going to have a tough time keeping up.
    High res display, front facing camera, dual microphones, HD video, auto focus camera, video out, and a bigger battery are all things that are standard in high profile phone but are not present in the palm pre 2. Ontop of that we don't know about the wifi or 3G radio, but most newer smartphones have at least 7.2 hspa or 4g wimax and wifi n. And the fact that it's still lacking in apps when compared to android and iPhone, and this is why many of the tech enthusiast are disappointed with the new pre, they were expecting a high end device that would compete with iPhone 4 and top end android phones, and hopefully bring in developers and consumers as well, and instead they got a refined pre that unless it's priced right really won't bring in many consumers.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    I don't feel like carrying around a GPS sized device, so the Pre design is fine with me. I'll get a netbook and run MHS if I desire something larger.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    ok I'm in best buy checking out the competition. You know iphone and android as well as blackberry. An associate in the cell phone department comes up to me while I'm looking @ a samsung fascinate. He says you looking to make a switch to a great phone because I asked him earlier if he had anything about the pre 2 arrival. I told him I was trying to multi task on the android phone. He said it's easy and I can have up to 10 aplications open. Yet he couldn't figure out how to show me. So I pulled out my phone opened a notes application and the camera application and switched between them seemlessly each time bring me back to where I left off in the applications. He then tried to show me the same thing on the android device but couldn't. This was all followed by the following comment "Webos is a dying os it won't be around for much longer." I said really why is blackberrry and android putting very significant aspects on to their phones and tablets. It's just great to see so many I'll informed people out there trying to sell a phone only if it has a huge screen and no abilities other then what I don't know because any phone other than webos is very fruustrating to use. I'm always find myself swiping or looking for the gesture area for simplicityy and application control. But it's not there. THANK YOU PALM I LOVE WEBOS!! Woot woot! I fogot to mention I was a crackberry addict for 5 yrs and thought I'd never leave but webos has made thins so easy
    It's missing autofocus, capabilty to record HD video, a compass or gyro, and developer support. All are important to me.

I love taking photos. I record a lot of music audio and video, another HD video source to mix audio with would be great for me. A compass to give us access to some apps that require it, a star finder app for example. And developer support, we all suffer from that.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    It's missing autofocus, capabilty to record HD video, a compass or gyro, and developer support. All are important to me.

I love taking photos. I record a lot of music audio and video, another HD video source to mix audio with would be great for me. A compass to give us access to some apps that require it, a star finder app for example. And developer support, we all suffer from that.

Wondering if you have a star finder app? It's called SkyOrb...ported over from iPhone and iPad
    SkyORB : Astronomy software for iPhone, iPad, Palm Pre, MacOS Snow Leopard and Windows Vista/7

Although I can see the benefit of the compass, not denying that, it IS possible to find your way around at night.... If you know how to find the North Star (Polaris), then you know which way North is and can figure out all the other directions. Don't get me wrong, I totally see the usefulness in this circumstance, it would be easier, but it's not impossible
    Developer support was always going to be an issue regardless of the actual specs of the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by whodo_voodoo View Post
    Developer support was always going to be an issue regardless of the actual specs of the device.
    The fact that people are using this as a complaint about the Pre 2 speaks volumes.

in reality, the complaints that can actually aplly specifically to the Pre 2 amount to bells and whistles. I can appreciate that! I enjoy a bit of jingle now and then, but I don't want to pay more for it, I don't want it if it requires a phone that is too large for my hand or pocket. The Pre 2 may lack some optional features, but at its core, it is a very powerful phone, with the best mobile OS available. That makes it a premier phone, and if Sprint offered it, I'd be sorely tempted, even though my 6/6/09 Pre still rocks.
    For every person that wants a 4G Palm phone, there will be 5 people that will complain about the extra $10 a month fee that Sprint makes you pay for it. And you have to pay that fee wether your area has 4G or not. Go look at the posts on androidcentral.com on the Evo when the fee was announced. They are full of complaints.

Yep, it's a decent mid-range phone. Hopefully it's priced attractively.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    What the heck are people doing on their phones that they practically need a 32 in flat panel television to carry around? Is an extra inch or so REALLY that important??? I took my Pre Plus in and held it up next to some of the Android phones to compare the screens. Yes, the screen was noticeably bigger on the Android devices, but it wasn't a mind-blowing difference that just took my breath away. If a bigger screen means having a phone as ugly as an Android device, then no thanks. I watch videos, read emails, read websites, read .pdf documents etc with total ease on my Pre Plus. Do you people have bad eyesight? Are you trying to read emails while your phone is across the room? I really don't get all the b*tching about screen size. Do you feel that you need a big screen b/c your buddy at work as an Android phone with a big screen?
    It's the fact that people are not just using phones as phones anymore. 3.5 and up is good for reading and video viewing with less eye strain.

I do think some phones are getting into mini-tablet territory though. The one good thing about that though is you no longer need to take your laptop everywhere.

P.S. I forgot, yes I personally do need corrective lenses, lol. So a less cramped screen helps me. Although I can live with 3.2.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast