Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It's the fact that people are not just using phones as phones anymore. 3.5 and up is good for reading and video viewing with less eye strain.

I do think some phones are getting into mini-tablet territory though. The one good thing about that though is you no longer need to take your laptop everywhere.
    Well, whatever size the Pre Plus screen is, it works great for me to read and watch videos. And my eyesight isn't all that great.
    Isn't it 3.2? I can answer email or texts on 3.2 and do some light reading, but really a bigger screen does help. That or higher resolution.

I saw 3.1 listed for Pre 2, yeah that's small IMO. Sorry. Why not at the very least 3.2 or 3.5??
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 10/30/2010 at 02:45 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    That number might pop out on a spec sheet, but I think the real world impact is fairly minimal. It really is just an ego thing. Kind of like when different architects would try to build bigger and bigger buildings and throw up some meaningless antenna or something just to make their skyscraper a few feet taller than the previous tallest building. The extra didn't mean anything and didn't add anything to the building, but it looked better on the spec sheet.
    I'm astounded that people on this board still underestimate the importance of the screen and continually complain "Ok, the screen is smaller but we still have a 1ghz yadda yadda yadda".

Folks, the smartphone - as it stands today as a web browser, media player, e-Reader, etc. - is a display device. No different from a laptop or TV.

To brush aside that fact that Pre 2 is launching in 2010/2011 with a vastly inferior resolution and screen size is just folly. That is the first thing people look at. Part of the iPhone's phenomenon in 2007 was that an all-screen slick-looking smartphone which finally made mainstream people wanna web browse and play games on the phone.

They set the bar there. The Pre was okay when all of the competition to the iPhone hovered around 3.2-inches. It's way beyond that now. Hence people being underwhelmed. Why is this so hard to understand?
    Resolution is more important when it comes to readability and eyestrain, especially on a small screen.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Hmm could of swore this was posted in another sub-forum by you...http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...fair-bias.html

By the way...referencing that thread...here are your answers:

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Fixed focus camera
    No 720p video recording
    Great screen resolution...for two years ago
    Tiny screen
    No compass

Sorry, but the hardware on those devices is objectively better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    How about the fact that all of those phones have been out for 6 months by the time the Pre 2 will be released?

Do you know what 6 months is when it comes to technology age? Especially mobile technology?
    In about two months a whole slew of next generation phones will be announced and subsequently released....while Hpalm is releasing their product to catch up with the last generation.

Really, it's not that hard to understand at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I updated the comparison stickies at the top of this forum to include the Pre as well as the Pre and Pre Plus a bit ago. To make it a little more clear how they compare, I just added this basic feature comparison chart to each one.

The Pre 2 matches the Speed but note that many existing Pre Plus users are at 1.2 GHz with 16 GB memory already.

They all will have text commands (Just Type) once the Pre's catch up with webOS 2.0 so scratch that one out. Keyboard is a preference item so scratch that as well. There are some who like a little screen so throw that out.

If you were the reviewer looking at the remaining 15 basic features, how does the Pre 2 compare to the other flagship smartphones?

If you don't believe what's said then how about you just look at the pure fact based chart.

I'm gonna just repeat my post as well because it's important to understand:
    How about the fact that all of those phones have been out for 6 months by the time the Pre 2 will be released?

Do you know what 6 months is when it comes to technology age? Especially mobile technology?
    In about two months a whole slew of next generation phones will be announced and subsequently released....while Hpalm is releasing their product to catch up with the last generation.

Really, it's not that hard to understand at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    That number might pop out on a spec sheet, but I think the real world impact is fairly minimal. It really is just an ego thing. Kind of like when different architects would try to build bigger and bigger buildings and throw up some meaningless antenna or something just to make their skyscraper a few feet taller than the previous tallest building. The extra didn't mean anything and didn't add anything to the building, but it looked better on the spec sheet.
    Not true IMO. Those extra fractions of inches make a difference even though you wouldn't think so. I held up my 3.5 inch screen iPhone to a 3.2 inch phone. Even though there's not much number difference, viewing is another story, iPhone screen is clearly bigger and looks much bigger actually.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm astounded that people on this board still underestimate the importance of the screen and continually complain "Ok, the screen is smaller but we still have a 1ghz yadda yadda yadda".

Folks, the smartphone - as it stands today as a web browser, media player, e-Reader, etc. - is a display device. No different from a laptop or TV.

To brush aside that fact that Pre 2 is launching in 2010/2011 with a vastly inferior resolution and screen size is just folly. That is the first thing people look at. Part of the iPhone's phenomenon in 2007 was that an all-screen slick-looking smartphone which finally made mainstream people wanna web browse and play games on the phone.

They set the bar there. The Pre was okay when all of the competition to the iPhone hovered around 3.2-inches. It's way beyond that now. Hence people being underwhelmed. Why is this so hard to understand?

If the screen were a bit bigger, I'd deal with the resolution since it's the same as the old iPhone. I need to see it in person.

HP Palm is releasing a mid-range phone though, by today's standards. There's no way around that. I just hope they do a better job this time around.

Pre2's hardware is fair at least, but Pre2 is mid level phone because lots of reasons which are not only specs related, and it can't be seen as flagship device in par with competition even it has wimax, auto focus, hdmi, bigger resolution, fm radio, front facing camera, 1GB of 500mhz ram and 1.2GHz dual core cpu.
    It is a successor of badly received Pre-/Pre+ with direct resemblances with it, with same form factor, uncomfortable keyboard and cheap plastic feel (at least it looks cheap on screen). If you want to win, you don't want to look like confirmed looser. And if you have your own OS, and you are manufacturing only smartphones with your own OS you want to be among winners. Pre2 is a third edition of same concept and it starts to look like Palm is convinced that Pre design is a winner, but it needs to be understood by the mases, and it is not true. If Pre2 is one of 5 actual Palm's models, there would be less negative comments about it, but Palm is not Samsung, Nokia, SE, LG .... to have dozens of parallel models. Palm is betting on only one model, and general public don't like how it looks and feels. Damn Pixi is better looking device. Slick and professional looking, but crippled by it's parent for who knows what reason.
    That is why people are screaming at HP and Palm, because they like WebOS, and that OS deserves good hardware and better looking devices than Pre pebble-zen-concept-phone. I'm certain if Palm had licensed WebOS to other manufacturers, they would made higher specs devices with more sex appeal than any of Pres. By now, there would be a variety of different models suitable for everyone. But no, Palm wanted WebOS only for them self, and they don't know what to do with it. Pre's pebble design is for bigger companies, when they want to experiment with design and can afford to loose money. Palm and HP can't afford it, because they are killing WebOS. They managed to put WebOS in same line with HTC's Brew OS and Samsung's BadaOS.
    Well it better not be priced too high on contract with those specs. $200 will not fly anymore, because several phones with higher specs go for that.

Not true IMO. Those extra fractions of inches make a difference even though you wouldn't think so. I held up my 3.5 inch screen iPhone to a 3.2 inch phone. Even though there's not much number difference, viewing is another story, iPhone screen is clearly bigger and looks much bigger actually.
    I have my Pre Plus and an iTouch. My personal experience is that the iTouch screen is slightly better for viewing but when I'm trying to do anything with text entry/editing the Pre works better. The Pre screen actually looks brighter to me. Really the 3.1 vs 3.5 makes a small difference, the keyboard vs vboard makes a much more significant difference. :P
    It's pretty clear that the Pre2 will be a midrange device, priced around $99, and I think it's very competitive there. It's got the internals of of a high end device in a mid-range package/price point.

I'm also baffled at one poster who suggested that video out is a "standard" feature on high end phones. What phones have it other than the Evo? There may be a few others, but it is FAR from "standard".
    From a first impressions point of view, when your industrial design is dominated by a touch screen, you don't want to be the smallest and blurriest.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    From a first impressions point of view, when your industrial design is dominated by a touch screen, you don't want to be the smallest and blurriest.
    The Pre2's screen is small, but not blurry.

The ppi is still competitive, from a practical perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post

It's fine if you're coming from a Pre. But then you put it next to a Fascinate or a Droid 2 (which will be the most likely display scenario when the Pre 2 lands on VZW) or an iPhone 4 (the gold standard for smartphone displays) and it all goes to hell...
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post

Samsung Wave s8500 with super amoled, 1ghz processor, hd video recording, front facing camera and crappy BadaOS is practical too.

Personally I like Pre and its design, I would probably buy Pre2, but I understand all critics, and I don't understand Palm and it's lack of understanding of market demands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I have my Pre Plus and an iTouch. My personal experience is that the iTouch screen is slightly better for viewing but when I'm trying to do anything with text entry/editing the Pre works better. The Pre screen actually looks brighter to me. Really the 3.1 vs 3.5 makes a small difference, the keyboard vs vboard makes a much more significant difference. :P
    But maybe you don't need corrective lenses. For me, the viewing space helps.

Man, these threads always turn into this.

Let's just summarize...just like I did in another thread...this whole discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    [The people that love the Pre/Pre2/Palm]: I don't use it so why the hell would anyone else want those options?

[The people that understand the market]: Having options is why the other platforms are successful while Webos continues to drop to nothing in the market share. Palm has followed what its core users have wanted for years and that's why the graph below looks like it does[and since has fallen to 4%]. If you really loved Webos you would understand why it has to get away from just what the core users want.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 10/30/2010 at 05:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Samsung Wave s8500 with super amoled, 1ghz processor, hd video recording, front facing camera and crappy BadaOS is practical too.

Personally I like Pre and its design, I would probably buy Pre2, but I understand all critics, and I don't understand Palm and it's lack of understanding of market demands.
    You guys keep looking at ONE phone and acting like that is going to be the sum total of Palm's presence in the marketplace. By early-mid 2011 there will be at least, a Pixi2, Pre2 and some higher end device. Possibly two.

There is a place for the Pre2 in the marketplace. It is not the sector of the market that excites people who hang around on phone forums, but that doesn't mean it's not important to the overall strategy.
    But maybe you don't need corrective lenses. For me, the viewing space helps.
    Actually I need glasses to see clearly further than 2 feet from my face. That's for everything not just letters.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast