1.    #1  
    I know since no one has played with a VZW Pre 2, we couldn't possibly know this, but what do you think the chances are that:

a) The 2.0 update will finally fix the VZW GPS issue on existing Pre Plus phones

and/or

b) The Pre 2 will not have a completely borked GPS, like the Pre Plus does now

Any thoughts?
    I can almost guarantee that 2.0 will not fix the GPS issues. Verizon doesn't even admit to any wrong-doing lol.

As far as the Pre2 goes, we'll just have to wait and see...
    No GPS problems with any of the VZW Androids released in the last year. Hopefully webOS 2.0 will survive their tyranny.
    I could have sworn someone mentioned playing with a verizon pre plus with webOS 2.0 at the engadget meet. Wonder if they tried out the GPS. Pretty sure if the pre 2 aGPS works pre plus with webOS will work too right?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    No GPS problems with any of the VZW Androids released in the last year. Hopefully webOS 2.0 will survive their tyranny.
    I don't really think that's an indication of much. The Droid has been out since right about the same time as the Pre Plus. The Droid's GPS wasn't borked, but the Pre Plus' was. It's more of an indication of how Verizon treats its Palm customers.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    I could have sworn someone mentioned playing with a verizon pre plus with webOS 2.0 at the engadget meet. Wonder if they tried out the GPS. Pretty sure if the pre 2 aGPS works pre plus with webOS will work too right?
    One would think, unless Verizon somehow gets permission to screw up the aGPS settings in the software update but not the phones that are shipped to them.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Verizon also spent millions on advertising for Android... I'm sure they made sure their networks GPS data sync'd with Android devices just fine...
    Last edited by xHunt3r; 10/28/2010 at 02:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    The Droid example all has to do with google maps navigation vs VZNavigator. Google cut a deal with VZW to allow their phones to run Google navigation for free. I dont even think they offer VZ Nav for the Droids. All the other phones have to use ZVNav (and pay) to get usable GPS.
    Given the troubled past with the Pre Plus and GPS I really just have a hard time believing that HP/Palm would release another device on Verizon without covering their bases on this issue.

I'm fine with the Pre 2's specs, but I will fault HP/Palm 100% if they didn't have the foresight to address this issue in advance of launch. They knew it was a problem from last time, so they have no excuse this time around.
    vz navigator is offered on some of their android phones, and available as a download on others. My wife's droid 2 today came with a new software update,that preloads vznav onto her phone.

re: gps, yes google cut a deal with vzw to let them use their software on the vzw network.

however some of their newer blackberries and winmo 6.5 phones have functioning gps as well...it was a long struggle but vzw finally opened up gps for them in 2008.

I do know vzw and microsoft have some deal to install bing and bing maps onto some of their phones, including winmo and some android devices like the fascinate. Maybe hp can cut a deal with their long time partner microsoft to include bing maps with navigation on future webOS phones? Just a thought.

yes google maps is better, but bing maps is a pretty good alternative.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    vz navigator is offered on some of their android phones, and available as a download on others. My wife's droid 2 today came with a new software update,that preloads vznav onto her phone.

re: gps, yes google cut a deal with vzw to let them use their software on the vzw network.

however some of their newer blackberries and winmo 6.5 phones have functioning gps as well...it was a long struggle but vzw finally opened up gps for them in 2008.

I do know vzw and microsoft have some deal to install bing and bing maps onto some of their phones, including winmo and some android devices like the fascinate. Maybe hp can cut a deal with their long time partner microsoft to include bing maps with navigation on future webOS phones? Just a thought.

yes google maps is better, but bing maps is a pretty good alternative.
    As much as I love google maps a Bing application would have a much larger chance of being updated at least once.