Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Im just wondering how it performs? one of the main reasons I left webos for android was the lack of satnav and although this was forgivable with working google maps I found that with my pre most times I would get the white screen with data connection error even with full 3g signals.

So im wondering if theres been any improvements with the new phone and new software or are things pretty much the same old?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Google maps has not been updated... yet...
    It the same, your Pre goes to Google and "downloads" it every time.
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    What carrier was your WebOS device with
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    it was with o2. It was one of the things which drove me away from webos
    I'm just hoping that webOS 2.0 will let us set new default applications. I'm tired of waiting for google to update for us when we've got better options in the catalog. BFG Maps i'm looking at you.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Palm seriously needs to fix this app.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    yeh its a shame reallly because lack of useful apps like this is whats holding webos back. I moved to android and although the apps are more useful, the OS is nowhere near as good.
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    Palm seriously needs to fix this app.
    It's not Palm's app to fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It's not Palm's app to fix.
    Thank you. People are so confused about this. Technically, Google Maps on webOS isn't broken. It needs to updated with the newest features and optomized better.

Now, we would be foolish to think that El Goog would add voice assisted turn-by-turn or other features that they've included for the Android devices. Google can add some of those items to GMaps for webOS. They choose not to for whatever reason. However, they fixed search so that webOS devices work properly with their search engine. So see, Google fixes what they want to fix.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    My initial reaction to the state of Google Maps on webOS is that they don't want to detract from the excellent experience available on newer versions of Android. However, I expect that in reality Google hasn't bothered to update Maps for webOS because of the small and declining user base. Take the iPhone as an example. Big competitor to Android, but they've done a much better job of keeping Maps up to date on that platform. It's certainly in Google's best interest to get their services working well on as many devices as possible.

So hopefully once we hopefully see the webOS user base increase next year we'll see some more attention from folks like Google.
    I always thought palm made the google maps app? I thought I heard it before on this site, and from Silverkey+tapping on google maps says its by palm. So I'd say its palms fault and they need to fix it. not google.

also apple makes their map app.
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    Palm didnt make it but they need to realize that Google is not going to improve it now that they have a competing OS (Android) So I think Palm needs to pay another GPS company to make a nav app, or HP needs to come out with one. They can still use googles API's and street view and stuff, that is all publicly available.

Google Maps is the best (true dat, double true) but I just dont see Google making a better app for Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Thank you. People are so confused about this. Technically, Google Maps on webOS isn't broken. It needs to updated with the newest features and optomized better.

Now, we would be foolish to think that El Goog would add voice assisted turn-by-turn or other features that they've included for the Android devices. Google can add some of those items to GMaps for webOS. They choose not to for whatever reason. However, they fixed search so that webOS devices work properly with their search engine. So see, Google fixes what they want to fix.
    They only fixed it after weeks of complaining to Palm, Google and anyone who'd listen. Google only pay's attention to Android and iOS phones. It's frustrating because we all share the same web browser.
    heres the evidence that Google maps is indeed made by google, ran by Palm webos.

http://www.precentral.net/google-qui...tes-maps-webos

it states clearly from one of the updates that Google finally did one (back on Dec 09). Google maps is Googles no one elses, and is made and updated by Google. Its also the same issue Palm is having regarding Google Voice (regardless of the API).
    Regardless of whose app it is or who made it, it's up to HP|Palm to do something about it. Whether that means finding an alternative, or what. Maybe there's something about the situation I don't understand, but to think Google would optimize their app on webOS when they have a vested interest in THEIR OWN OS seems a little silly to me. They want people to do what OP did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Regardless of whose app it is or who made it, it's up to HP|Palm to do something about it. Whether that means finding an alternative, or what. Maybe there's something about the situation I don't understand, but to think Google would optimize their app on webOS when they have a vested interest in THEIR OWN OS seems a little silly to me. They want people to do what OP did.
    I agree, HP needs to offer a Mapping Application that is not linked to its competitors.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Google has no sinister motives behind not updating apps for webOS, we are simply on the back burner because of the small user base. Once there are more users we'll get more attention. Google makes money from people using their free web apps and viewing their ads, period. They don't care what OS you are on. They have stated before that they started Android OS and Chrome OS (both of which they give away for free) to make sure that their web apps never get shut out by the OS makers (i.e. MS and Apple.)
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    They only fixed it after weeks of complaining to Palm, Google and anyone who'd listen. Google only pay's attention to Android and iOS phones. It's frustrating because we all share the same web browser.
    I'm a bit confused? What do web browsers have to do with it?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Since the Google Maps application really does download Google Maps each time you open it, we need to find a way to download it to local storage and make the app point there so that it would just load it much faster
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast