Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    Google has no sinister motives behind not updating apps for webOS, we are simply on the back burner because of the small user base. Once there are more users we'll get more attention. Google makes money from people using their free web apps and viewing their ads, period. They don't care what OS you are on. They have stated before that they started Android OS and Chrome OS (both of which they give away for free) to make sure that their web apps never get shut out by the OS makers (i.e. MS and Apple.)
    So much for supporting your current users, I guess...
    WebOS 2.0 supports HTML5 application cache

Intro to HP webOS 2.0 - HP Palm Developer Center

which is a mechanism that, among other things, enables a web application to run offline. Although Google Maps probably would not be run completely offline, application cache could be used to speed up the maps application launch by avoiding an entire download of the maps engine on every launch.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    WebOS 2.0 supports HTML5 application cache

Intro to HP webOS 2.0 - HP Palm Developer Center

which is a mechanism that, among other things, enables a web application to run offline. Although Google Maps probably would not be run completely offline, application cache could be used to speed up the maps application launch by avoiding an entire download of the maps engine on every launch.
    Google Maps is HTML5?
    just use BFGMaps app from the catalog. Provides you with google maps data but has all the features you miss (including street view).

and it's free! :-)
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    So much for supporting your current users, I guess...
    Google isn't a charity, if they are not actively supporting the development of features for the app, they tells you something important about the Web OS user base.
    Quote Originally Posted by eps1lon3 View Post
    Google Maps is HTML5?
    This is a very old link and I don't know how Google implemented Maps on the Pre in the version currently released, but ...

Palm Pre gets HTML5 Google Maps app - My Pre

That being said, Google is heavily invested in HTML5 with ChromeOS fundamentally using the same architecture as the Pre and if they are not currently taking advantage of the HTML5 extensions in the Pre, they certainly can and probably will.
    If you want to complain use this link and post

Update WebOs Apps!! - Google Mobile Help
    BFG maps may be free, but it 's certainly not freeware. It's either adware and donationware.
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    This is a very old link and I don't know how Google implemented Maps on the Pre in the version currently released, but ...

Palm Pre gets HTML5 Google Maps app - My Pre

That being said, Google is heavily invested in HTML5 with ChromeOS fundamentally using the same architecture as the Pre and if they are not currently taking advantage of the HTML5 extensions in the Pre, they certainly can and probably will.
    this is from february 18th, 2009.
    nothing new here, just a beta app of Gmaps before the pre was released x___x
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Fast forward to :53 in this new video for on webOS 2.0 to see Google Maps open very fast.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Fast forward to :53 in this new video for on webOS 2.0 to see Google Maps open very fast.
    That video looks produced. It may or may not indicate actual load times.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I don't know, but I think that video has been edited to speed things up.
    Im pretty sure that the guy thats using the phone in the video has place markers to know where to touch. Then they just add the screen in in post production. I doubt google maps opens that fast.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I'm sorry to say that the app has not improved.
    The About section of the app says it's v8.1 (although the software applet of the OS says it v2.0..he)
    No new functionalities whatsoever.

As a matter of fact, I'm having some GPS tracking issues with the Pre2.
    This is the only issue I have with the device so far, and I cannot tell yet if it's software or hardware.
    It seems like the initial localization works well but when I'm on the move, the position updates like once every 5/6 seconds. On my Pre+ in was once every less than 1 second.
    Also, and this is why I suspect there might be a software component to the issue, one of my other navigation apps that worked with WebOS v1.4.5 simply does not with WebOS2.0. I get a "unable to get GPS data" error message.
    I certainly hope the poor refresh time is a temporary bug, and not a "power consumption fix"!!
    Wait and see...
    Last edited by Badcard; 11/14/2010 at 07:30 AM.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    I have been EXTREMELY displeased with Verizon's hosing of GPS capabilities on the Pre+. I'd love to see an unlocked CDMA version of the Pre2 that I could use on Verizon's network (if such a thing exists in the CDMA world) so it would actually work without device doctoring. This is my biggest concern for webOS 2.0 (with PDF viewing being a pretty big #2 for me) - I wonder what Verizon has in store for update "optimizations" to Palm's webOS 2.0 update? We have so many apps in homebrew and the app catalog that don't work on demand because of what Verizon has done to our webOS phones.

The long time that I have to wait for Google Maps pales in comparison to getting a "Your Location could not be determined" message once it loads. The GPS Fix app and the aGPS Fix patch have been tremendous for my location-based app experience but compared to many other phones out there, we have a long way to go in this area. Can anyone name another phone out there with GPS problems inflicted by the carrier in such a way?

EDIT:
    Badcard, have you noticed any additional battery drain related to the activation of the GPS?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12