Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 53 of 53
  1. #41  
    jimbo...go to "user cp" and somewhere in there, there is edit ignore or something to that nature... Simply type in the person's name and as you type it in, it will start matching names. Either finish typing it or click on it and then save it.. There are numerous people on this site that seem to take great satisfaction in trying to make us miserable here. Guess their own sites are boring as they have perfect phones with 0 flaws and nothing to complain about, so they come here to stir up the pot. You will find that as you pick out these individuals and ignore them, your experience here will be far less aggrevating. Hope this helps you as it did me. You will still see that they posted but it'll be blocked (with an option to unblock if you wish, but so far I've had no desire or inkling bit of curiosity to do so) ....way easier than getting all upset over

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbohsp View Post
    sorry to have offended you, sir. It's just.. So much bull**** to sift through when I'm reading this site of people *****ing about how much the device sucks, takes away from the actual topic I'm trying to read up on
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Blu View Post
    "Meet demand"?? Demand based on what "hype"? I've only seen two guys in this site express any interest in this Pre Plus +, and one of them had to be lying because there is really nothing impressive about it if you are on Sprint, have the original Pre, and haven't seen any of Sprint's EVO TV commercials.

    "Hype"? The only hope of any "hype" being generated on the PRE Plus + is if no one has ever seen an iPhone 4, HTC EVO, or Droid X, 2, or Incredible commercials. By itself and barring any access to the Internet, TV, or Print media, the Pre 2 might be considered impressive in a third world country where there is no other Smartphone to compare it to, but in the rest of the world, I don't see any reason for any "hype" of any kind, no matter what HP spends on TV commercials for this Pre 2.
  3. #43  
    The OP asked a simple, and honest question: Why is America third in line for the P2. The simple and honest answer is that HP does not think it will sell very well here, and does not want poor sales to be the lead story for the P2. Instead, they are looking for greener, less competitive pastures to grow a storyline of success before they bring it home. If it doesn't do so well there, they would rather have the headline talk about the P2 not doing well in France, as opposed to America.

    If Nintendo released the next big thing in America before they released it in Japan, we would be highly suspect of that move, and rightfully so. We might suspect the Sony is eating their lunch in their home country, forcing Nintendo to find a safe market to hide out in. We expect iPhones to be released first in America because Apple is an American company with its strongest sales here at home.

    We know for a fact that the Pre does not do well in Palm's own backyard. The competition is much too strong for the P2 to even get a favorable mention in the US press. All of the oxygen has been sucked out of the room. They have no choice. Releasing elsewhere is the right thing to do.

    It is just like basketball. When a player can't make the NBA cut, they often go to Europe where they can really shine. In the same way, a European soccer player may choose to play in America if he doesn't quite make the cut in Europe. You get the idea.

    Assuming it does well elsewhere, and assuming Verizon follows through with a strong launch, it is a good bet that Sprint, and other holdouts around the world will also want to get on board. This is not insulting or demeaning in any way. It is a bit of a rude awakening for people who were under the illusion that the Pre was on par with modern-day, top-tier phones, or that HP had some kind of influence in this arena. Once you get over the unrealistic expectations, the fact that it is coming to the US at all has got to be pretty good news.
  4. #44  
    I think the carrier release order makes a ton of business sense to me.

    Get exclusive monies. Check.
    Release the "pre"-production models to the French. Check.
    Get more exclusive monies from VZ. Check.
    Make sure VZ customers are hooked onto webOS before iOS comes. Check.
    Release super-stable Pre 2 and/or new, super-duper webOS model on Sprint. Check.

    All the while, Sprint customers will, very likely, be able to purchase a Pre 2 from eBay and mod it to work on Sprint.

    Either way, I'll be able to make it. I promise. HP/alm's decisions make good business sense... for once.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I think the carrier release order makes a ton of business sense to me.

    Get exclusive monies. Check.
    Release the "pre"-production models to the French. Check.
    Get more exclusive monies from VZ. Check.
    Make sure VZ customers are hooked onto webOS before iOS comes. Check.
    Release super-stable Pre 2 and/or new, super-duper webOS model on Sprint. Check.

    All the while, Sprint customers will, very likely, be able to purchase a Pre 2 from eBay and mod it to work on Sprint.

    Either way, I'll be able to make it. I promise. HP/alm's decisions make good business sense... for once.
    The "monies" are inessential at this point in the game. As indicated by them giving away bundles and gift cards, HP is likely not expecting a profit from WebOS in the immediate future. Buying a mobile OS is a long-term gambit.

    The idea of "hooking" Verizon customers before the iPhone arrives seems wildly unrealistic. The Pre Plus - which is almost identical to the Pre 2 - still exists there (even though it's hard to find) and HP is still selling them on their Web portal. Taking (what appears to customers to be) the same product and selling it for $50-$100 more is not a path to "hooking" anyone.

    Likewise, Sprint is not part of the immediate Pre 2 future if Palm publicly entreats people to ask Sprint to carry it. We can theorize about future "super phones", but it's just vapourware at this point. The Pre 2 is the only real phone for the foreseeable future, and Sprint aint a part of it.

    Finally, it would be insane to take comfort in the fact that Sprint customers "can" do a board swap mod to use a Pre Plus or Pre 2.
  6. JKM
    JKM is offline
    JKM's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    #46  
    It is better to be 3rd in line than to be not in line at all!
    I live in Germany and so far there is no release date for this country
  7. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The "monies" are inessential at this point in the game. As indicated by them giving away bundles and gift cards, HP is likely not expecting a profit from WebOS in the immediate future. Buying a mobile OS is a long-term gambit.

    The idea of "hooking" Verizon customers before the iPhone arrives seems wildly unrealistic. The Pre Plus - which is almost identical to the Pre 2 - still exists there (even though it's hard to find) and HP is still selling them on their Web portal. Taking (what appears to customers to be) the same product and selling it for $50-$100 more is not a path to "hooking" anyone.

    Likewise, Sprint is not part of the immediate Pre 2 future if Palm publicly entreats people to ask Sprint to carry it. We can theorize about future "super phones", but it's just vapourware at this point. The Pre 2 is the only real phone for the foreseeable future, and Sprint aint a part of it.

    Finally, it would be insane to take comfort in the fact that Sprint customers "can" do a board swap mod to use a Pre Plus or Pre 2.
    What are we talking about here? Maybe 200 people?
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The idea of "hooking" Verizon customers before the iPhone arrives seems wildly unrealistic. The Pre Plus - which is almost identical to the Pre 2 - still exists there (even though it's hard to find) and HP is still selling them on their Web portal. Taking (what appears to customers to be) the same product and selling it for $50-$100 more is not a path to "hooking" anyone.
    If people don't know that VZ could possibly get the iPhone, and they were happy with the Pre 2, then it would nice to get those customers "hooked"... whereas I think a lot of people are less likely to leave Sprint.

    This is just my theory on a better "second-move" gambit, if you will.

    HP's first gambit of "giving all Pres away for FREE" isn't quite as risky as you think. It gives them away for free, but it makes ~$300 for opening each new customer line. That's with Sprint, at least... and I'm sure ATT & VZ aren't too terribly different.

    There's short-term wins to be made here, and medium-term ones, also.

    My main reasoning for wanting to see VZ get the Pre 2 first is that both VZ and HP should want to get rid of the Pre Plus as quickly as possible and start fresh with reviews of a Pre 2 minus the ragging on the keyboard. That's just a huge error that needed to be fixed. I think it's a bigger error than 256MB of RAM on the original Sprint Pre. But that's just me. I buy a hardware keyboard to connect one key to one and only one character... not necessarily to run 10+ apps at once, as awesome as that might be.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Likewise, Sprint is not part of the immediate Pre 2 future if Palm publicly entreats people to ask Sprint to carry it. We can theorize about future "super phones", but it's just vapourware at this point. The Pre 2 is the only real phone for the foreseeable future, and Sprint aint a part of it.

    Finally, it would be insane to take comfort in the fact that Sprint customers "can" do a board swap mod to use a Pre Plus or Pre 2.
    All very true. I'm just happy knowing that I could do the mod while I wait for the "super phones", and I probly WILL do the mod if it's possible, which I'm betting WILL be possible.

    It doesn't really make a difference to me. I'm sticking with Sprint until I die, and I think a lot of Sprint customers are like me. Sucks for most webOS users, who don't want to mod a Pre... but "good things come to those who wait"!
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    If people don't know that VZ could possibly get the iPhone, and they were happy with the Pre 2, then it would nice to get those customers "hooked"...
    So your plan is to prey on the uninformed and trap them in a contract before they realize they could have gotten something more desirable. What's your plan for dealing with all the returns, and angry, buyer's remorse?

    I'm not convinced that the utterly clueless make for a good market, anyway. Perhaps a better strategy would be to convince well informed people that your product is better, and have them willingly, and knowingly choose it over the competition.
  10. #50  
    There's no "hooking" either way. If any device is going to make people pay ETFs and abandon their phones to jump for it in 2011, it's a Verizon iPhone.

    You have to succeed on your own merits.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    If any device is going to make people pay ETFs and abandon their phones to jump for it in 2011, it's a Verizon iPhone
    That certainly won't be me. With a microcell attached to my internet, my iPhone actually works at home. The office is another story. But, that is why I have the Pre. Nothing like having redundant coverage on different networks with two different devices.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Blu View Post
    "Meet demand"?? Demand based on what "hype"? I've only seen two guys in this site express any interest in this Pre Plus +, and one of them had to be lying because there is really nothing impressive about it if you are on Sprint, have the original Pre, and haven't seen any of Sprint's EVO TV commercials.

    "Hype"? The only hope of any "hype" being generated on the PRE Plus + is if no one has ever seen an iPhone 4, HTC EVO, or Droid X, 2, or Incredible commercials. By itself and barring any access to the Internet, TV, or Print media, the Pre 2 might be considered impressive in a third world country where there is no other Smartphone to compare it to, but in the rest of the world, I don't see any reason for any "hype" of any kind, no matter what HP spends on TV commercials for this Pre 2.
    Makes sense, but if they based their commercials off the strengths of the phone, they could easily "compete" with the other phones.

    Show off the multi tasking, show off the fact you can fit it in your pocket, show off physical keyboard. The simplicity and beaty of WebOS will sell many of folks.

    Many EVO commercials barely showing any UI, it's all smoke and mirrors. If you just showed how awesome WebOS is and easily and quickly you can get stuff done (like the iPhone commercials) you'll win over a great many of people, imo.

    Not showing the phone AT ALL will hurt it more. People need to SEE how WebOS works. So far, no one's doing that.

    Maybe with HP getting behind WebOS we'll start seeing the marketing push for next years onslaught of phones. Hope so.

    I've used every OS: Symbian, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, Andriod, iOS and WebOS. WebOS is far superior to ALL. Market it in that way.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    So your plan is to prey on the uninformed and trap them in a contract before they realize they could have gotten something more desirable. What's your plan for dealing with all the returns, and angry, buyer's remorse?
    No. My plan was in regards to the orders in which carriers should release the phone first.

    You make it seem as if you know the Pre 2 will automatically be cursed with faulty manufacturing. If that's the case, then I'll be angry just like everybody else. But... it's also my reason for wanting to send the "pre"-production devices out of the country. Make sure everything's in tip-top shape... then release here with some surety of good reviews!

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I'm not convinced that the utterly clueless make for a good market, anyway. Perhaps a better strategy would be to convince well informed people that your product is better, and have them willingly, and knowingly choose it over the competition.
    This is absolutely the most important part of the game. Not so much "well informed" people as it is ALL people, tho. EVERYBODY needs a webOS phone. Not just geeks, lesbians, moms, kids. Everybody!!

    Somebody has got to communicate the benefits of webOS to the MASSES. Somebody has got to sell these benefits to ALL consumers.

    Rubenstein's problem was that he expected word of mouth to sell the Pre. But we all know that the Pre was an unfinished product. I think that the Pre 2 will handle itself much better than most expect this time around, specifically because people will clearly be able to see the benefits of a Palm phone for themselves this time around. And I know I'll actually be convincing others to buy the Pre 2 I'll be using on Sprint, because it works for me... whereas the Pre 1 did not, so I didn't use it as a phone, so I never cared to convince my friends to buy such an unfinished product.

    But we're talking about maximizing short-term and long-term gains as well, which I think comes in best by releasing the Pre 2 on the carriers in the order that they're actually being released.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions