Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, lets get practical: how does one get the pre 2?

It's out on SFR, so theoretically, I can order it to a french friend and have them ship it (then replace/change the AZERTY keyboard...).

BUT WHAT ABOUT RADIO FREQUENCIES?

How compatible are European 3G Pre phones and the (e.g.) AT&T network, or vice versa? (naturally, 3G phones are no good on CDMA networks such as Verison, Sprint)

This link from palm support suggests that European Pres are totally compatible with US pres.

Is that really so?

Can the Pre use 3G in the 2100 band, thus getting 3G globally?

How can I find the actual bands used by providers for 3G?
    Quote Originally Posted by urig View Post

I haven't looked at the details of the Pre 2, but this may help you:

UMTS frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has a listing of all the bands used by US and outside US carriers.
    I heard you wont get 3G on American GSM carriers
    The Pre and Pre 2 are Quad band GSM (which means that the GSM and EDGE part will work anywhere in the world), but only Dual band UMTS (which means that P102UEU devices will not work for 3G speeds in the US, and P102UNA devices will not work for 3G speeds in most other parts of the world).

If you want an SFR Pre 2 to run at 3G speeds in the US, you need to attempt a comms board swap with a P101UNA (assuming the boards are physically and electrically compatible - we do not have public confirmation of that yet).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    On a related note, I am a Sprint customer, and want to stay with Sprint. Do you think it will be possible to buy a Verizon phone (possibly used, to avoid a contract) and modify it to work with the Sprint network?
    Have been searching the internet for days now. Seems impossible to get a hold of this phone!

I've searched ebay.com, ebay.fr, Leboncoin.fr(like ebay without auctions). Without any luck!

I think one of the reasons might be that our buddies in France are currently suffering from a public strike. So maybe nobody has received their Pre 2 yet..

Only place I've found it is here:
    Palm Pre 2 #PRE2 - eXpansys UK

I've actually pre-ordered one to, waiting for an answer regarding delivery date. But I'll probably never receive one(since they don't have the price and shipping date for the old Pre Plus yet).

Anybody else had any luck? =)
    I'm anxious to try out the Pre 2 hardware mainly for the new screen. Otherwise, I'm guessing it'll be almost exactly like my Pre Plus, maybe with some tweaks/improvements. Maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by urig View Post
    So, lets get practical: how does one get the pre 2?

It's out on SFR, so theoretically, I can order it to a french friend and have them ship it (then replace/change the AZERTY keyboard...).

BUT WHAT ABOUT RADIO FREQUENCIES?

How compatible are European 3G Pre phones and the (e.g.) AT&T network, or vice versa? (naturally, 3G phones are no good on CDMA networks such as Verison, Sprint)

This link from palm support suggests that European Pres are totally compatible with US pres.

Is that really so?

Can the Pre use 3G in the 2100 band, thus getting 3G globally?

GSM/UMTS network bands and frequencies

For anyone unsure about which GSM device to purchase, this information might help.

Reference:
    Palm Support: Understanding network bands and frequencies for a GSM/UMTS phone

Understanding network bands and frequencies for a GSM/UMTS phone - Palm Support - Article ID: 65931

The network bands and frequencies available for your webOS phone are listed below.

Region ....................................... 2G frequencies ......................... 3G frequencies
    North America (US/CAN) ............. 850/900/1800/1900 GSM ................. 850/1900/2100 UMTS
    South America (LAT) .................. 850/900/1800/1900 GSM ................. 850/900/2100 UMTS
    Asia-Pacific .......................................... 1900/1800 GSM ................. 850/900/2100 UMTS
    Europe .................... 850/900/1800 /1900 (degraded) GSM ................. 900/2100 UMTS

The Dual Band GSM North American Palm devices are designed specifically to use the 850 and 1900 3G UTMS frequencies.

The Dual Band GSM European Palm devices are designed specifically to use the 900 and 2100 3G UTMS frequencies.

In a nutshell, if you purchase a European GSM Palm device, it will only be capable of 2G EDGE data connecitivity in North America. Conversely, if you purchase a North American GSM Palm device, it will only be capable of 2G EDGE data connectivity in Europe (Exception is Telstra Australia which uses the North American 3G frequencies 850 and 1900).

One other note, because I'm certain someone will ask if I don't include it. Unlocking your device has nothing to do with what frequencies it operates on. You can't unlock a European Palm device expecting it to have 3G connectivity in North America after its been unlocked and visa versa.

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    On a related note, I am a Sprint customer, and want to stay with Sprint. Do you think it will be possible to buy a Verizon phone (possibly used, to avoid a contract) and modify it to work with the Sprint network?
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ion-guide.html

That's for the Pre and Pre +. We don't know enough about the Pre 2 yet to provide answers.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 10/27/2010 at 02:49 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I think the jury is still out on whether that will work for the Pre 2.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry
    , if you purchase a North American GSM Palm device, it will only be capable of 2G EDGE data connectivity in Europe (Exception is Telstra Australia which uses the North American 3G frequencies 850 and 1900).
    FYI, Telstra is the 'odd man out' with those NA freqs in Australia. All the other carriers in Australia use the other set of frequencies, and therefore need a P102UEU device.

-- Rod
    Thanks. That looks too tricky to risk it for a Pre+, but for the Pre2 it might be worth it. I guess I'll wait and find out if it will work.
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    FYI, Telstra is the 'odd man out' with those NA freqs in Australia. All the other carriers in Australia use the other set of frequencies, and therefore need a P102UEU device.

-- Rod
    Hi,Whitby...do you know any ideas on buying paid apps for palm pre from app catalog in Australia?Now I'm planning to get a webOS device,but this problem makes me confused.Thanks in advance...
    Quote Originally Posted by sylau90 View Post
    Hi,Whitby...do you know any ideas on buying paid apps for palm pre from app catalog in Australia?Now I'm planning to get a webOS device,but this problem makes me confused.Thanks in advance...
    You have to physically activate the phone in the US before shipping it to Australia. Then you need a US debit card (Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards is what I use).

There is no other way.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    You have to physically activate the phone in the US before shipping it to Australia. Then you need a US debit card (Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards is what I use).

There is no other way.

-- Rod
    Thanks mate...So thats means I have to register a Simon gift card and ship it to Australia?By the way,what you mean that the phone has to physically activate in US?

do you have any suggestion on where to buy a pre device?adn where you bought yours.Actually, Now i using the expansys australia&mobicity.com.au...but not sure those devices are activated or not..
    Thanks mate...So thats means I have to register a Simon gift card and ship it to Australia?By the way,what you mean that the phone has to physically activate in US?

do you have any suggestion on where to buy a pre device?adn where you bought yours.Actually, Now i using the expansys australia&mobicity.com.au...but not sure those devices are activated or not..
    I mean you actually have to put in a SIM, turn on the phone, and go through the Palm activation process, while the phone is physically in the United States of America.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    I mean you actually have to put in a SIM, turn on the phone, and go through the Palm activation process, while the phone is physically in the United States of America.

-- Rod
    Ok.thanks so much for your information. Sorry,because I know nothing about pre and webOS. Currently using android and WM6.5. Hope to see the HP palm devices in Australia soon, the procedures to get a device working in Australia seem complicated. Gonna email expansys ,to check whether their devices are activated or not. Thanks again mate
    Ok.thanks so much for your information. Sorry,because I know nothing about pre and webOS. Currently using android and WM6.5. Hope to see the HP palm devices in Australia soon, the procedures to get a device working in Australia seem complicated. Gonna email expansys ,to check whether their devices are activated or not. Thanks again mate
    Do not trust a third party company to get the intricate activation process correct for a device you buy from them. They *WILL* get it wrong, and you *WILL* end up with a device that can *NEVER* buy apps.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Do not trust a third party company to get the intricate activation process correct for a device you buy from them. They *WILL* get it wrong, and you *WILL* end up with a device that can *NEVER* buy apps.

-- Rod

So is there any other way to get a unlocked device and app catalog accessible(can buy apps)???what do you reckon?thanks so much mate...Actually, I could wait until next year,to see whether HP announces any new devices. but the accessibility of app catalog seems complicated.
    So is there any other way to get a unlocked device and app catalog accessible(can buy apps)???what do you reckon?thanks so much mate...Actually, I could wait until next year,to see whether HP announces any new devices. but the accessibility of app catalog seems complicated.
    I already said "There is no other way". You can do the same thing in Europe if you like, but then you need a European debit card, and I have not found a way to get one of those from Australia.

You need to personally arrange for the device to be activated correctly. You only get one chance at it - if you (or someone else) stuff it up, the device is useless for paid app catalog access forever.

-- Rod
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast