Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Yup...I know that. The only way to buy paid apps in app catalog is to use the Simon mall gift card. erm,what I mean here is, where you bought your device from?and get it activate in USA?
    I had a colleague in Switzerland buy an unlocked device at full price from Germany, then ship it to another colleague in California who bought an AT&T prepaid SIM card, activated the device, and then shipped it to me in Australia.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I had a colleague in Switzerland buy an unlocked device at full price from Germany, then ship it to another colleague in California who bought an AT&T prepaid SIM card, activated the device, and then shipped it to me in Australia.

-- Rod
    OMG, that is so complicated. I think what I can do now is finger crossed and wait HP Palm expand their markets to Australia. I don't have the social link like you can help me do those things. Thanks so much for your information and help mate.haha, by the way are you the developer that Palm invites you to the NY developer day?Good luck,have a safe trip and great talk...Love webOS so much..
    Last edited by sylau90; 10/27/2010 at 08:36 PM.
    FYI, Telstra is the 'odd man out' with those NA freqs in Australia. All the other carriers in Australia use the other set of frequencies, and therefore need a P102UEU device.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod, and to expand even further, Telstra Australia is the only carrier in all of Europe that uses the North American 3G frequencies 850 and 1900.

"odd man out" no better way to describe it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Thanks Rod, and to expand even further, Telstra Australia is the only carrier in all of Europe that uses the North American 3G frequencies 850 and 1900.

"odd man out" no better way to describe it.
    It also seems to be an odd man out in that you consider it to be in some weird part of Australia that is in Europe

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  6.    #26  

-- Rod
    Assuming I buy a European device (which stands to reason, I live in an odd part of Europe... ) and it is activated in Europe.

Can I not reflash the device so I can re-activate it and get the app catalog working?
    Quote Originally Posted by urig View Post
    Assuming I buy a European device (which stands to reason, I live in an odd part of Europe... ) and it is activated in Europe.

Can I not reflash the device so I can re-activate it and get the app catalog working?
    For the purpose of app catalog access, a device is activated for the first time once and once only. The country in which that device resides at that very first activation determines app catalog access. Any future re-activations are irrelevant and will not change app catalog access status.

The mapping of Device MEID/IMEI to app catalog access status is on Palm's servers, not your device. Re-flashing will not affect it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    I think there are only 3ways to solve that problem...1st is buy a second hand Palm pre(which is already activated by the owner)...2nd,like what Rod mentioned,transfer the device maybe more than 2 locations.Lastly, wait for next year,see our luck...whether HP plan to expand their market or not.
    It also seems to be an odd man out in that you consider it to be in some weird part of Australia that is in Europe

-- Rod
    Maybe that's the Austrian bit?
    Quote Originally Posted by sylau90 View Post
    I think there are only 3ways to solve that problem...1st is buy a second hand Palm pre(which is already activated by the owner)...2nd,like what Rod mentioned,transfer the device maybe more than 2 locations.Lastly, wait for next year,see our luck...whether HP plan to expand their market or not.
    Note that the chance of finding a second hand qwerty keyboard unlocked .eu 3G banded Pre which has been activated in the US is extremely small.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Note that the chance of finding a second hand qwerty keyboard unlocked .eu 3G banded Pre which has been activated in the US is extremely small.

-- Rod
    Erm...I'm pretty blurred now. App catalog already officially open to EU users,right?So,if the owner activated it in UK(using UK O2 sim card). Will it just work fine if it ship to other countries?lol...haha,if HP still didn open their market to Australia...Rod,can you help me get 1 pre 2...webOS is really amazing...
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    It would probably be from a seller called Rod.
    I'd be wary of that seller - he's probably swapped the all-important comms card into a Pre 2 ...

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    LOL...

just wonder got any people willing to help us to do the activation job and ship it to us?I think many people out there can't wait to touch this device.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Since I will be in Hawaii from 4 Dec and have some friends in France, I was hoping to get a real Pre2 phone before I left for the USA. But its locked to SFR so I guess its no hope to do this unlock before 4 December. I would not put a SIM card until I got to the USA but I assume it wouldn't work due to the lock. A small catch? I guess Rod used an unlocked phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreRunr View Post
    Since I will be in Hawaii from 4 Dec and have some friends in France, I was hoping to get a real Pre2 phone before I left for the USA. But its locked to SFR so I guess its no hope to do this unlock before 4 December. I would not put a SIM card until I got to the USA but I assume it wouldn't work due to the lock. A small catch? I guess Rod used an unlocked phone.
    Yes, note that I specified an unlocked device - these were available from O2 Germany (you had to do a keyboard swap of course).

I thought the off-contract device (400+ Euro) from SFR was unlocked ... can anyone confirm that?

-- Rod
    DON'T BUY A PRE 2 FROM SFR ! Why ? They're locked to SFR SIM card, you will not be able to use your US one with. I have a Pixi+ locked to SFR and it's impossible to use another SIM card. Maybe doctoring ? But there is no 2.0 WebOS doctor.

EDIT: and SFR hasn't released the unlocking code yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by simsor View Post
    DON'T BUY A PRE 2 FROM SFR ! Why ? They're locked to SFR SIM card, you will not be able to use your US one with. I have a Pixi+ locked to SFR and it's impossible to use another SIM card. Maybe doctoring ? But there is no 2.0 WebOS doctor.
    Did you buy it on-contract at subsidised price or off-contract at full price?

-- Rod
    I bought it on-contract, I'm not sure about the ones off-contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by simsor View Post
    I bought it on-contract, I'm not sure about the ones off-contract.
    Of course on-contract phones are locked.

We're talking about off-contract unsubsidised phones here.

-- Rod
    On November 3rd they will start selling phones in the SFR stores. Hopefully we will start seeing some phones available to buy. Right now you can only buy it online with a French shipping address and only two per family/address.

As I have understood french sim-lock laws, off contract phones should be unlocked. They can only lock them during the contract period, and only until 6 month before the end of the contract.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast