Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...shouldn't we all be hoping for its success? It seems like some are so mad at HP/Palm about the Pre 2 not living up to their own personal expectations that they WANT it to be a failure, just so they can be right. If we like WebOS, then no matter how we feel about the Pre 2 specs, we all need it sell respectably.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I certainly hope it is a success. While it may not be a huge spec bump for Pre Plus owners especially, the specs are on par with many other smartphones on the market. Most people do not have smartphones so those looking to enter that segment will have a Pre 2 as a good choice.

Being a Pre minus user, I would get one if it came to Sprint even though I would want more.
    I hope it's so hugely successful that Sprint decides they have to offer it!
    I'm not disappointed at all.

In fact - I couldn't be happier. That's my flagship phone.

Cheers-
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    ...shouldn't we all be hoping for its success? It seems like some are so mad at HP/Palm about the Pre 2 not living up to their own personal expectations that they WANT it to be a failure, just so they can be right. If we like WebOS, then no matter how we feel about the Pre 2 specs, we all need it sell respectably.
    I want it to be successful because thats better for my fav mobile OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I seriously doubt anything that is said on this site has any effect, at all, on the success or failure of the Pre 2. It may be a predictor, though. I find it interesting that the mantra that webOS desperately needs new hardware is making its way into mainstream technology discussion.
    Okay, so are you hoping it succeeds or fails?
    Quote Originally Posted by preryan View Post
    Most people do not have smartphones so those looking to enter that segment will have a Pre 2 as a good choice.
    I definitely agree. It may not have a "retina" display or a forward-facing camera, but it does have good specs and a great OS. I think for the uninitiated (not you grouches who expect a quad core 2GHz phone from HPalm) the Pre 2 will be a very attractive choice.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I definitely agree. It may not have a "retina" display or a forward-facing camera, but it does have good specs and a great OS. I think for the uninitiated (not you grouches who expect a quad core 2GHz phone from HPalm) the Pre 2 will be a very attractive choice.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Amen
    I think one of the reasons people are upset about the pre2 is that they don't see a phone with those specs succeeding, and they want it to succeed.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    I think one of the reasons people are upset about the pre2 is that they don't see a phone with those specs succeeding, and they want it to succeed.
    Basically, this.

If you hope to see Palm succeed - and I do. I truly do - then you shouldn't stand by silently when they keep making the same dumb decisions that hobbled WebOS's chances the first time around. I mean, a parent who loves their child should love them enough to discipline them, right? Doesn't mean you don't support them or want to see them do well. But you gotta check 'em when they're acting a fool.

Palm continues to act a fool. If we saw Google or Apple quietly releasing a sequel to any of their flagship devices and their OSes hidden away on one French carrier preceded by nothing more than a press release, we'd be openly mocking them and rightfully so. Palm shouldn't be exempt from that standard.
    interesting views mikah.
    did you read the articles today about google releasing the nexus two, on some obscure UK carrier? Where's the mock? What about the advertising for all the blackberry curve and bold/tour upgrades, or the storm 2.
    palm is not acting like a fool...they have now put the wheels back into motion after the long stall that developed with palm's financial troubles and then hp's take over. First batter up: palm pre 2.
    there was nothing more than a press
    release because the phone is not yet available in the US. When it is, hp will advertise much more effectively, and most importantly, have a device that has competitive specs. It won't outsell the droids or blackberries, but it will make a dent. Then will come CES. All signs are pointing to HP and Palm making a splash, at the very least, to wet the appetites of webOS fans and supporters. I mean what more can you want? This industry is about competition, and all the companies are coming out swinging, including palm. HP will not let it die anytime soon. They will bring to the market many phones and devices over the next few years and with that bring some mindshare back. They won't beat apple or google or RIM or MS. anytime soon, but with the market so wide open, they don't need to. They just need to compete and keep making webOS the best OS out there.
    i dont wish it to fail but i am still disappointed because the palm pre 2 will definitely not attract new customers and big developers, thus no new growth may lead it to fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    interesting views mikah.
    did you read the articles today about google releasing the nexus two, on some obscure UK carrier? Where's the mock?
    The mock of the wildly unsourced rumors you mean?

What about the advertising for all the blackberry curve and bold/tour upgrades, or the storm 2.
    Have no idea what that as to do with what I said.

palm is not acting like a fool...they have now put the wheels back into motion after the long stall that developed with palm's financial troubles and then hp's take over. First batter up: palm pre 2.
    there was nothing more than a press
    release because the phone is not yet available in the US.
    And why is that? Microsoft launched Windows Phone in Europe first, but they did it widely with a lot more than a press release (several gala events as I remember) and had reviews and previews of each and every handset sold abroad by Engadget, Gizmodo, and many other US tech sites. So why was the Pre 2 given to just a few US tech people labeled "pre-production" when the release model went on sale just days later, and why is it sold on one French carrier when HP has no supply constraints? Why isn't it sold just as widely across Europe as Windows Phone? Why can't American tech press use the hardware good enough for sale by SFR?

When it is, hp will advertise much more effectively, and most importantly, have a device that has competitive specs.
    If it's competitive, then why did Engadget specifically say it was not competitive to the iPhone 4 and G2? If it's not competitive to a month-old and four-month old device (amongst others), then how can it possibly be competitive to whatever is being released on the market then?

It won't outsell the droids or blackberries, but it will make a dent.
    Doubtful.

Then will come CES. All signs are pointing to HP and Palm making a splash, at the very least, to wet the appetites of webOS fans and supporters. I mean what more can you want?
    A splash to whet the appetites of the NON-fans of WebOS and NON-supporters...pretty much all of the people they'll need to win over to survive. I would like that.

This industry is about competition, and all the companies are coming out swinging, including palm.
    That's the point. It's not a swing. It's not even a pinch. It's a quiet whimper in a dark corner they hope they won't be noticed too much in.

HP will not let it die anytime soon. They will bring to the market many phones and devices over the next few years and with that bring some mindshare back. They won't beat apple or google or RIM or MS. anytime soon, but with the market so wide open, they don't need to. They just need to compete and keep making webOS the best OS out there.
    This is pretty much what people said about Palm, and their failure to remain afloat as an independent confirmed that "competing and making WebOS the best" aint nearly enough. Not for carriers EOLing their devices. Not for developers sending the big name apps to every platform but WebOS. And not for the people steering the ship. HP can let pretty much anything die...like the iPaq and eStation 510 Android tablet/printer combo and Voodoo PC and....
  14. JKM
    At first I was happy to hear that WebOS 2.0 is coming.

But then I heard that Classic will not be available for 2.0 and that's why I am disappointed
    honestly I think it will do well. Not everyone wants a supper fancy giant phone. Alot of people actually like small phones. This is a great alternative to all those crappy little touchscreen feature phones or even low end android phones. If this came out on sprint it would be right under the epic. And be characterized as the pocketable do it all smartphone for everyone. Sure no front facing camera, but it has the same processor speeds, ram, and utilizes it's gpu (supposidly) has a 5 mp camera, yes no autofocus but that's not the end of the world. I know it's not a superphone, but it's not intended to be. This phone is a perfectly fine contender, and in all honesty, it beats out the droid (origonal). The phone's specs aren't much different then the top of the line phones. Just minus screens and cameras and they are all the same, but the pre has the superior os. I think joe's will really like this phone. Because most joe's don't want giant phones.
    yeah, right....

dont mind me, im just trolling.
    mikah, hp is a huge company.
    why would they even release the pre 2 if they don't plan on competing in this space? And why would vzw, the nation's biggest carrier, choose to carry the phone?
    and comparing to microsoft? They just came out with a brand new OS...they've been MIA longer than palm has in terms of new hardware and software. Their presentation was palm's CES 2009. And they will market their platform significantly more than palm did after they released the pre and pre plus, which by itself, will lead to significant sales, much more so than the hardware and software.
    your arguments are clearly anti palm, despite claiming you want them to succeed. Of course you have the right to criticize them if you don't like what they are doing, but why bother posting on the precentral site all your criticisms? Do you go on the droid forums and criticize all the android devices that were failures (lg ally, motorola cliq, backflip, aria, devour, samsung moment, g1, etc)? I think your energy would be spent by praising platforms that are currently succeeding. Next year after HP releases additional devices, what will you and other palm haters say then?
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    honestly I think it will do well. Not everyone wants a supper fancy giant phone. Alot of people actually like small phones. This is a great alternative to all those crappy little touchscreen feature phones or even low end android phones. If this came out on sprint it would be right under the epic. And be characterized as the pocketable do it all smartphone for everyone. Sure no front facing camera, but it has the same processor speeds, ram, and utilizes it's gpu (supposidly) has a 5 mp camera, yes no autofocus but that's not the end of the world. I know it's not a superphone, but it's not intended to be. This phone is a perfectly fine contender, and in all honesty, it beats out the droid (origonal). The phone's specs aren't much different then the top of the line phones. Just minus screens and cameras and they are all the same, but the pre has the superior os. I think joe's will really like this phone. Because most joe's don't want giant phones.
    How is any of this not applicable to the Pre and Pre Pluses currently now available for free with touchstone accessory kits from HP for all three major national carriers?

The Pre and Pre Plus are also "a great alternative" to the devices you mentioned. Also pocketable and also "not intended to be" a superphone. Also with specs "not much different" than top of the line phones, and also with the exact. same. OS.

Why don't "most joes" really like the devices on the market now? Because it doesn't have a glass screen? Because it doesn't run at 1 ghz? You think those conditions are what have kept the Pre and Pre Plus from success?
    why don't "most joes" really like the devices on the market now? Because it doesn't have a glass screen? Because it doesn't run at 1 ghz? You think those conditions are what have kept the Pre and Pre Plus from success?
    no because it looks like a toy, scratches and breaks easily, and is laggy. They don't know they want a glass screen and a faster processor, but it would solve some of their issues.

to answer the OP, I want Palm to succeed in everything they do. The reason i'm disappointed is that they don't appear to have created a Pre successor that will be successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    mikah, hp is a huge company.
    why would they even release the pre 2 if they don't plan on competing in this space? And why would vzw, the nation's biggest carrier, choose to carry the phone?
    At one point, HP planned on competing in the consumer tablet space with Windows 7. Now, it's being rebranded as "an enterprise product" and taking backseat to their new OS acquisition. At one point, HP planned on using Android to extend the functionality of their TouchSmart line of printers and OS. Now, that product is a one off. At one point, they were Windows Mobile devotees, and likely to build a Windows Phone 7 handset. That, too, changed.

Any HP "plans" on competing are subject to change at any time. That's not to say they don't plan to compete with WebOS. But it is not a committment written in blood or stone. Verizon has carried many handsets that they didn't particularly care about and left to wither on the vine: The Kin, the original Palm Pre Plus, the Blackberry Storm 2, the Droid Eris, and so on and so on. The imprimatur of either of those giants means almost nothing as an indication of future success and/or quality.

your arguments are clearly anti palm, despite claiming you want them to succeed. Of course you have the right to criticize them if you don't like what they are doing, but why bother posting on the precentral site all your criticisms? Do you go on the droid forums and criticize all the android devices that were failures (lg ally, motorola cliq, backflip, aria, devour, samsung moment, g1, etc)? I think your energy would be spent by praising platforms that are currently succeeding. Next year after HP releases additional devices, what will you and other palm haters say then?
    This is just silly. Why would I post my criticisms on, say, WPcentral.com? Other forums don't care about Palm. This one does, so this is where it is relevant to criticize them. I bought a Pre and had a Centro back in the TreoCentral days, so this is where I belong as well. I didn't register years ago because "I hated Palm". I did it because they intrigued me enough to switch to even their stagnant OS, and I was and remain interested to see where they go with their current ventures.

When HP releases devices I deem worthy, I will be happy to praise and evaluate them. Maybe even buy my third or fourth Palm device. But I will also speak up when I think they err. I was raised to call that "pragmatic". These days, with our dialogue being simple and polarized, that means "hater", whatever that is.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast