Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    so vzw carried the unsuccessful phones you mentioned because?
    there is obviously a market out there for the pre 2, otherwise it would make no sense whatsoever for hp or vzw to release such a device. by your argument then, they are making the same foolish mistakes that palm originally did? true, that market may not have mass appeal like the iphone, droid, or evo, but there's still a market. it may be hp employees, certain businesses, palm loyalists, people lingering onto their treo/centro devices, people that want a small form factor, people that want a keyboarded smartphone, people that want free mobile hotspot, etc.
    i guarantee you that when vzw releases the device, if hp markets it effectively and to the right people (and it doesnt have to be splashy marketing like the droiiiiiiiiid) the pre 2 will do just fine for what its intended to do. it will then be followed by a line of phones. all companies bring products or make promises about what they will bring to the market, only to fizzle things out. of course hp can change their minds about webOS similar to your examples that you gave for hp with windows and android. but HP isnt the only company that does this. pharmaceutical companies put alot of R&D into drugs, millions of dollars, but sometimes it doesnt work out. for every success google and microsoft have had with their various products, there have been failures as well. point is, HP and palm are moving forward, having released the pre 2, and have stated that they will release additional devices within the next few years. I honestly think webOS is too good to be a failure, and HP I think knows this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    so vzw carried the unsuccessful phones you mentioned because?
    The same reason any business carries any product: Because they think they can make money off of it. It does not mean the product is successful. Almost every failed product was carried by some retailer at some point. Verizon has carried many including the previous Palm Pre Plus.

there is obviously a market out there for the pre 2, otherwise it would make no sense whatsoever for hp or vzw to release such a device. by your argument then, they are making the same foolish mistakes that palm originally did? true, that market may not have mass appeal like the iphone, droid, or evo, but there's still a market. it may be hp employees, certain businesses, palm loyalists, people lingering onto their treo/centro devices, people that want a small form factor, people that want a keyboarded smartphone, people that want free mobile hotspot, etc.
    And again...EVERY manufacturer and carrier believes this when creating, manufacturing, and distributing a handset. They think the market for their product will be X, Y, and Z. Many times there is, but that market chooses another product anyway. The Pre was designed for "the fat middle" - who mostly ignored it - and also "people who are busy" - who did the same. The people who protest the Pre 2, like myself and Engadget, do so because we don't think Palm or HP is doing enough different from the first time around to produce a different result. Not because we are "Palm haters".

i guarantee you that when vzw releases the device, if hp markets it effectively and to the right people (and it doesnt have to be splashy marketing like the droiiiiiiiiid) the pre 2 will do just fine for what its intended to do.
    I find this guarantee to be worth almost nothing being that 1) It's contingent on HP's marketing, which has produced exactly zero retail phenomena in recent memory and 2) You claim "it will do just fine for what it is intended to do", which no one actually knows. Palm had no idea who they were selling the Pre to the first time around based on their ever-shifting and confusing marketing. HP has made no public statement definitively stating who they're selling it to. And the ultra low-key launch of the Pre 2 and WebOS 2.0 on ONE French carrier seems to indicate that they still don't know as of yet. They certainly didn't buy Palm to get a foothold with SFR customers.

it will then be followed by a line of phones.
    There is no proof whatsoever that they will have a line of phones larger than what Palm currently offers. HP has always used the term "devices", which could indicate anything from a tablet to a media player to a printer.

We all know HP and Palm are "moving forward". But I think we want them to move forward in a different, more beneficial direction that brings tons of new developers and consumers onboard, as opposed to just keeping it in existence and in-house like the iPac Glisten or the Envy brand. They could release a PalmPad and Palm Pre 3,4,5, and 6 even if they got no traction whatsoever in the smartphone market. But I don't want to be on a zombie platform, and I don't think you do either. Half-baked launches and press releases aint gonna cut it.
    Nevermind whether we want the P2 to succeed; I don't even know if HP wants the P2 to succeed. A spec bump to a product that failed in every measurable category of failure, a soft launch in France, (scratches head), The most influential tech pundits in America still do not have a reviewable device, carrier rebellion: this is not the stuff of a serious push.

Perhaps this phone is intended to be a developer phone. Perhaps it is just a bone that is being thrown to the fan base to keep Palm in the discussion. It seems like if this phone were a commercial success, it would not be a good thing, as the community is expecting something new and better in a couple of short months.

The success of this phone means that fewer people would be able to upgrade to the "real" superphone that HP is working so hard to produce. I'm not convinced that HP wants this phone to be a commercial success.
    To quote an X-File movie title..."I want to believe"..

I have been a long time Palm supporter. I have had flavors since Palm Pilot days. I presently have a Treo 680 which I am thinking about replacing.

I have wanted to get a Palm Pre Plus for a while, however I was troubled by the limited number of apps compared to the competition (1000s of apps vs 10/100s of thousand apps?) and the lagged specs compared to other platforms with higher performance specs available.

The Pre 2 appears to update the specs some but still is lagging behind (still same size screen, no face forward camera, no higher resolution, no HD, etc). The improved webOS and higher speed may help resolve some of my concerns, but it still seems lacking.

I hope with more resources from HP, Palm will be able to leap frog the competition with a follow up devices. I think the Pre 2 is a left over products of pure Palm.

Plus more apps needed.

Eric
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    OP, yes, you're right.

But some people just love to whine.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12